Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lightbulb Looking for a digital SLR with U.S.$1500

Hi, I actually posted this in the digital camera section of this forum already, however since it wasn't the right forum for this topic, I think that could be the reason why I wasn't getting much responses in there.

So I opted to post my thread in here instead; I hope it is alright.

Cheers.

I have long been fascinated by the digital SLR cameras, and I remembered the first time when I started looking at the digital SLR cameras (I have been a compact Sony Cyber-Shot digital still camera user);

When I first started looking at digital SLR cameras, I was really trilled to see them going up to ISO 1000+, and their image quality there is still very clean and high quality! I have been reading about compact digital cameras mostly, and so far most of them only goes up to ISO 400 before becoming too noisy and low quality! The digital SLR cameras have been a totally new experience to me!

I know that the image quality of the digital SLR camera must be seriously good indeed, considering that the image quality of the compact digital camera is already 10 over times better than the best camera phones out there today!

I only saw some images from the lowest end digital SLR cameras, since I didn't dare to venture into the higher end ones, I noticed the super high quality look to the images produced by even just the lowest end digital SLR camera! I imagine how good the higher end digital SLR models must be then!

I do know that the CCD of the digital SLR camera is far bigger than the CCD of the compact digital camera. I have been comparing CCD sizes among the compact digital cameras and so far the largest CCD I have come across on them is at 1/1.8" to 1/1.7". I read that larger CCDs produce higher image quality and lower noise, no wonder the digital SLR camera can produce such high quality and clean images at ISO 1000+. (That is really extreme! My compact digital camera is already very noisy and low quality at ISO 400! It can't even go up to ISO 1000! But I can expect its quality at ISO 1000+ to be really horrible!) I Imagine how good the digital SLR cameras must be!

The digital SLR camera have all the features that I have been looking for, such as the M mode, P mode, S mode, A mode, and the manual focus mode! They also provide me with the 30 seconds slow shutter speed and even a Bulb mode (Those compact digital models always disappoint me by not having full photographic and manual controls).

I just wonder why people using those digital SLR type of cameras always choose to switch off the LCD monitor and use the viewfinder instead? (Is it because such cameras are very power hungry, looking at the big size of them?)

I am really looking forward and excited to getting a digital SLR camera!

There are various digital SLR camera models out there for me to choose from.

I would like to know which digital SLR camera model would you'll guys recommend me?

Thanks in advance!

I have U.S.$1500 to spend on a digital SLR camera (I know that they are much more expensive than the compact digitals), and I plan to spend all of them on a really good one.

Re: Looking for a digital SLR with U.S.$1500

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_T
    I just wonder why people using those digital SLR type of cameras always choose to switch off the LCD monitor and use the viewfinder instead? (Is it because such cameras are very power hungry, looking at the big size of them?)
    People don't "turn off the LCD monitor and use the viewfinder". You have to use the viewfinder because the reflex viewing system and shutter is stopping the light from getting to the sensor. The LCD screen on the back only shows you the image once you have taken it. This also means you can't do movies on a DSLR.

Yes DSLR's do give better images and have less noise than point-and-shoots (though my Fuji F10 P&S is pretty good even at 1600 ISO). But there's maybe no need to go to a top end DSLR model :

- 10MPix is the norm today, but even 6Mpix is enough to give perfect A3 size prints to put on the wall.
    - Point-and-shoot cameras and low-end DSLR's enhance the image to make it look attractive, whereas the high-end pro models leave it to the photographer to rework in the digital darkroom. A lot of us use RAW format to have maximum control of what goes into the final JPG. You may find you're best off with the settings of a low-end DSLR.

If I were you I would go into a camera store and check out the Nikon D80+18-70 and the Canon 400D+18-85. See how they feel in your hands. Don't forget - the camera is just a tool. Once you've got it you have to go out and use it.

Charles

Iron Horse

don't forget you'll be spending almost as much (if not more) on lenses and accessories (flash, storage, etc) as you will on a body. I'd say budget somewhere between $600 and $900 on a body (Canon XTi, Nikon D40x, Nikon D80, Sony a100, Pentax 10d, etc) and the rest on a good lens, bag, memory card & flash. my setup (check sig) has run about 1300 so far, and I don't have a standalone flash yet (although is definitely needed). most importantly, head to your local best buy (circuit city, camera store, etc) and try each of them in your hands. the Sony didn't feel very good, and I didn't chose the Nikons for various reasons (D80 was too expensive, and the D40 series lacks some crucial features) so ended up with a Canon.

took it to the 1st DH race of the season and was REALLY surprised at how well it tracked and shot. would've gotten more shots except I raced first (then almost threw up), then grabbed the camera for the last 15 or so riders to come down.

Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Get a deal on a used Canon 20D or Rebel XT then spend the rest on a really fast lens. You can do plenty with a 8MP sensor but the lens is twice as important.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I really want to thank you all guys for helping me out.

Another member in the other thread of mine already explained to me why digital SLR cameras cannot use the LCD to frame the shots. (It is not a problem to me.)

So you all guys said that the lens is VERY important? So which lens should I be getting?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

No way of knowing without knowing what you're going to be shooting for the most part.
    Sports, scenics, portraits, events, indoor, outdoor.
    How new are you to photography and if you have some experience you porbably know what you like to do the most.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Check out the kit lenses

I really want to thank you all guys for helping me out.

Another member in the other thread of mine already explained to me why digital SLR cameras cannot use the LCD to frame the shots. (It is not a problem to me.)

So you all guys said that the lens is VERY important? So which lens should I be getting?
    I would say that if you're starting from scratch and you have no specific needs then get a camera body with a kit lens. Some of them are really good, they give you a maximum of versatility for a small amount of money. Check out the reviews section - some kit lenses are worse than others (the Nikon ones are good).

All the kit lenses are zooms starting at 18mm. What the focal length means in terms of view:

18mm = Wide-angle, useful for landscapes, interiors, groups when you're close up
    28mm = "Standard" viewpoint, like what the eye sees.
    55mm = Short telephoto, useful for waist-up portraits
    70mm = Telephoto, useful for head-and-shoulders portraits
    135mm = Long telephoto, useful for head shots, landscapes, sports

The D80 is available in kit with the 18-55, 18-70 and 18-135. If you just want one lens then go for the 18-135. If you're not sure then go for the 18-55. If you want the best built lens (metal lens mount) then go for the 18-70.

Charles

Thanks guys, I will inform you all when I have gotten my camera. (Now I just need to research around a bit first...)

Regards.

BTW, I would be using the camera for walk a rounds, and for going deeper into photography as well.

BTW, I would be using the camera for walk a rounds, and for going deeper into photography as well.
    Oh in that case, stick with the kit lens and then get the 50mm f1.8 to take your learning of photography further. Get the Canon Rebel XTi, kit lens 18-55, and 50mm f/1.8.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I really like my 18-135 lens. Quick and quiet. If you go Nikon.
    Keep Shooting!

Thank you guys, I will keep the suggestions in mind.

Look for:

D80+ Kit 18-135 + Nikon 50mm F/1.8 + Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 (Portrait) 2GB SD Card

I just bought the D80 w/ 18-70mm, 70-300mm Nikkor lenses and then bought the fixed 50mm and I'm in for around $1500. I still need a good flash (SB-600) and a good smooth tripod and I'll be all set. In the next year I want the 18-200 VRII lens as a multi-purpose vibration reduction set-up.

I've been shooting sports (kids soccer and mountain biking) and have found that I have a lot to learn about getting the "perfect" shot. I haven't used an SLR since I bought my first Olympus Digital Camera in 2002 or so. Wow what a difference a modern DSLR has over my old manual Nikon. ;)

mbb

Congratulations! Hope to see some shots, soon.
    Don't forget to buy uv filters for those lenses.
    Keep Shooting!

Thread Information