Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lens for Nikon D80

I'm looking any purchasing a Nikon D80, but am unsure about the lens to buy with it. I like the idea of the starter lens (Nikon 18-135), but it has received terrible reviews, yet I can't afford anything like the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor. What other lenses would people recommend that are around the same price as the Nikon 18-135 in the mindset that this will be the first and primary lens for the camera -- I may purchase another lens in the long run, but for now, this will be it?

I like the idea of the Tamron AF28-200mm, but it almost seems too good to be true and I'm not sure about the quality of the lens.

Any ideas?

Zakir

Re: Lens for Nikon D80

I bought the 18-70mm kit lens with my D80, and have found that to be a nice general purpose lens. I also bought the cheaper Nikon 70 - 300 mm lens at the same time for about $200 and found it to be ok - the quality wasn't great, but the price wasn't high either

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Lens for Nikon D80

Where are you seeing bad reviews for the 18-135?
    Its the lens I got with my D80 and I'm quite happy with it for a walk around lens.
    Quick focus, quarter turn zoom, very quiet. Might not be up to pro standards but I've been asked for some of my photos with it.
    Only problem I have with it is vignetting at widest angles if I don't boost the f/stop to 5.6 or higher.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

No no no no

Quote Originally Posted by Zakir
    I'm looking any purchasing a Nikon D80, but am unsure about the lens to buy with it. I like the idea of the starter lens (Nikon 18-135), but it has received terrible reviews, yet I can't afford anything like the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor. What other lenses would people recommend that are around the same price as the Nikon 18-135 in the mindset that this will be the first and primary lens for the camera -- I may purchase another lens in the long run, but for now, this will be it?

I like the idea of the Tamron AF28-200mm, but it almost seems too good to be true and I'm not sure about the quality of the lens.

Any ideas?

Zakir
    Did you check out the reviws on this site? The only review of the 18-135 is written by Frog and he's already said he's happy with it. Check out the other reviews and the answer is staring you in the face - if you can't afford the 18-200 then go for the 18-70 which is excellent (I have both).

I would definitely steer away from the Tamron AF28-200. I don't have one but this is my reasoning:

- no wide-angle setting (28mm is more of a "normal" focal length)
    - designed for film rather than digital. It might not have the resolution required by the smaller digital sensor. If you're going to use film lenses on a digital camera then stick to the very best ones ($1000+)
    - not made by Nikon. Tamron is a worthy manufacturer and they turn out some good lenses (I have the 11-18). But Nikon are the best at making low-price lenses

Charles
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information