Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

On board flash problem - Canon Rebel XTi

Problem with on board flash not popping up on Canon Rebel XTi.

I have posted several questions about his problem on various sites and now find that I can in fact raise the flash manually (I was nervous at first) and this seems to have solved the problem of firing the flash, but it still does not pop up automatically or when the release button is pressed. This would seem to suggest a problem with the release mechanism? Any suggestions?

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Re: On board flash problem - Canon Rebel XTi

Call Canon.

Also need more info, like what mode are you using?
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

Reset the camera and update your firmware. If that doesn't fix it, then you may indeed need to service the camera as the metering is way off.

Frankly, as weak at pop up flash units are, I wouldn't worry about it. Instead I would look at an external flash. Much more powerful and by far more useful. Something like the 430 will do a host of things you can't do with the popup.

I ask Google and found this information.

Subject, my pop up flash not popping up
    Reply.....This is a common failing on Canons that have pop-up flashes.

There is a tiny microswitch located under the hotshoe that when depressed (as when an external flash is mounted) prevents the built-in flash from popping up. This microswitch will sometimes stick, preventing the flash from popping up. It is possible to free up the switch by carefully removing the little cover on the hotshoe and then gently lifting the microswitch up.

I've had five Canons with pop-up flashes and this has happened to all of them, except my 40D (probably because I haven't used the opo-up on it.) I've never tried the repair; I just use an external flash and don't worry about it.

Hope this helps, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When the camera was bought a year ago, the flash would pop up on the first click. Now, the flash would pop up only after 2 or 3 clicking noise in the camera. In some occasions, it doesn't pop up after 3 clicks, and the camera gets me an error code 55. (In such situation, I would have to switch off and on the camera.)
    get an external flash !

Thread Information