Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Beginner Help Lens/Flash Recommendations 5D

I recently was gifted a Canon 5D Mark II for my wedding anniversary (just the body) and had a couple basic questions.

Since there are a enormous number of choices for lens and flashes I know it's hard to just "pick one" but hopefully I can have some help narrowing it down.

Mostly guessing that I will be taking scenic and portrait shots so opted to go with the Canon EF 24-70mm (1:2.8 L USM) lens for the first one. Smart choice?

I still however would like to get a flash for indoor and general purpose shooting. Any recommendations?

Re: Beginner Help Lens/Flash Recommendations 5D

That's a good lens well worth having. Since the camera is full frame 24mm is quite wide. If you shoot alot of indoors a 50mm 1.4 (1.2 just seems like too much money) would be nice and you may not have to blast people with a flash because you can shoot at F/1.4.

I don't think you have any reason not to get the 580EX II if you can afford it. A rumor is going around that a new flash is comming out but that will be later this year.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by betascour203
    I recently was gifted a Canon 5D Mark II for my wedding anniversary (just the body) and had a couple basic questions.

Since there are a enormous number of choices for lens and flashes I know it's hard to just "pick one" but hopefully I can have some help narrowing it down.

Mostly guessing that I will be taking scenic and portrait shots so opted to go with the Canon EF 24-70mm (1:2.8 L USM) lens for the first one. Smart choice?

I still however would like to get a flash for indoor and general purpose shooting. Any recommendations?
    Congratulations! And welcome to PR!

Quite a fine wedding gift. One of the best I might add!

And your lens choice is excellent. I've had a few Canon Rebel dslr's - but nothing like the 5D - so I hope others who have experience with this camera will chime in. It is a holiday weekend, so as with many photo websites, people may not be around to respond too quickly - probably out shooting as I will be tomorrow! But you will get good advice here.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you might check out the Canon 430EX II and/or the 580EX II for starters.....here is a link to Canon flashes - just scroll down to the 430 & 580.

I look forward to seeing some of your shots from this nice set up. It's a remarkable camera!

Whoops! ETA: Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...370+4291570227

Liz

nice gift! the 24-70 is a great choice for a start. You may find that 70mm is a bit short for portraits on a full frame. The 24-105 would be a more suitable multi-purpose for that regard, but, what is more important to you? f/2.8 vs 4, or 70-105mm? Both produce excellent IQ.

I recently purchased a 5D markII, but haven't worked with it enough to offer advice on the camera.

However, the lens you picked out is probably my favorite. However, if you want a little more reach and don't need the f/2.8 I'd also look at the canon 24-105 f/4L. It too is a beautiful lens. I started with this lens first and had to purchase the 24-70 because I shoot football at night and the 24-105 could get the light I needed without a flash.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite