• 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM
    betascour203
    Beginner Help Lens/Flash Recommendations 5D
    I recently was gifted a Canon 5D Mark II for my wedding anniversary (just the body) and had a couple basic questions.

Since there are a enormous number of choices for lens and flashes I know it's hard to just "pick one" but hopefully I can have some help narrowing it down.

Mostly guessing that I will be taking scenic and portrait shots so opted to go with the Canon EF 24-70mm (1:2.8 L USM) lens for the first one. Smart choice?

I still however would like to get a flash for indoor and general purpose shooting. Any recommendations?
  • 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
    cozmocha
    Re: Beginner Help Lens/Flash Recommendations 5D
    That's a good lens well worth having. Since the camera is full frame 24mm is quite wide. If you shoot alot of indoors a 50mm 1.4 (1.2 just seems like too much money) would be nice and you may not have to blast people with a flash because you can shoot at F/1.4.

I don't think you have any reason not to get the 580EX II if you can afford it. A rumor is going around that a new flash is comming out but that will be later this year.
  • 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by betascour203
    I recently was gifted a Canon 5D Mark II for my wedding anniversary (just the body) and had a couple basic questions.

Since there are a enormous number of choices for lens and flashes I know it's hard to just "pick one" but hopefully I can have some help narrowing it down.

Mostly guessing that I will be taking scenic and portrait shots so opted to go with the Canon EF 24-70mm (1:2.8 L USM) lens for the first one. Smart choice?

I still however would like to get a flash for indoor and general purpose shooting. Any recommendations?

Congratulations! And welcome to PR!

Quite a fine wedding gift. One of the best I might add!

And your lens choice is excellent. I've had a few Canon Rebel dslr's - but nothing like the 5D - so I hope others who have experience with this camera will chime in. It is a holiday weekend, so as with many photo websites, people may not be around to respond too quickly - probably out shooting as I will be tomorrow! But you will get good advice here.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you might check out the Canon 430EX II and/or the 580EX II for starters.....here is a link to Canon flashes - just scroll down to the 430 & 580.

I look forward to seeing some of your shots from this nice set up. It's a remarkable camera!

Whoops! ETA: Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...370+4291570227

Liz
  • 05-29-2010, 10:16 PM
    Anbesol
    nice gift! the 24-70 is a great choice for a start. You may find that 70mm is a bit short for portraits on a full frame. The 24-105 would be a more suitable multi-purpose for that regard, but, what is more important to you? f/2.8 vs 4, or 70-105mm? Both produce excellent IQ.
  • 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM
    JETA
    I recently purchased a 5D markII, but haven't worked with it enough to offer advice on the camera.

However, the lens you picked out is probably my favorite. However, if you want a little more reach and don't need the f/2.8 I'd also look at the canon 24-105 f/4L. It too is a beautiful lens. I started with this lens first and had to purchase the 24-70 because I shoot football at night and the 24-105 could get the light I needed without a flash.