Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Any left handed cameras

I'm looking to get started in photography but my rightside is partialy paralyzed and I'm wheelchair bound. I'm designing a mount for my wheelchair but and my only options for a camera are 1.remote-would have to have zoom or 2. a camera with a left handed shutter button with zoom controls on the left side aswell

Seeing that the only remotes available for slr's don't havve a zoom function are there any left handed cameras? I searched and came up with nothing. Although I did see an ad for the Nikon D80 where everyone in the picture was using a D80 With left handed controls but I've yet to find anything. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Any left handed cameras

Quote Originally Posted by g-unique
    Although I did see an ad for the Nikon D80 where everyone in the picture was using a D80 With left handed controls
    I'm guessing that the image was reversed in the ad, for whatever reason. The only left-handed Nikon I've ever heard of has been a prototype F100 that Ken Rockwell had a few years ago. Near the bottom of this page, he talks about it - as well as a very unique modification...

SLR cameras like the D80 have interchangeable lenses and zooming is controlled by turning a ring on the lens itself. I hold the camera with my right hand around the grip with the shutter release button under my right index finger, but cradle the body and lens on my left hand (palm facing up) and turn the zoom ring with my left index finger and thumb. Although zoom control would not be by remote so it wouldn't be as easy, could you use your left hand on the zoom ring of the lens and also on a remote for the shutter release (which would also control autofocus)?

I don't know if this will help, but Manfrotto makes a "magic arm" that has been popular with sports photographers for years with remote camera setups. Here's a link to one version of it, but there are a few other variations.

Unfortunately, there are no left-handed cameras. It's economics. The camera companies (annd everyone else) designs for the majority. Left-handed people are forced to deal with right-handed cameras. The Nikon ad you're referring to used all self-portrait photos, I think. So I believe the photos you're thinking of are all flipped - reflections. They people aren't really using left-handed controls.

SLRs don't have power zooms, so it's not possible for them to have a zoom remote. You might take a look at super zoom compact digital cameras instead. They might offer the remote controls you need. Take a look at the Canon PowerShot S5 IS, the Olympus SP-560 UZ, the Sony H-Series cameras, and the Panasonic FZ18.

Sorry about the difficulty you're having finding a camera that will work for you. This question doesn't come up often. But I have never had a satisfactory answer when it does
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think most everyone holds their camera as another view does so if your camera is mounted where you can reach it, the zoom shouldn't be a problem.
    I've actually wondered about this subject a few times as I thought someone with a physical handicap could give a unique perspective.
    I like this remote as it can be used from any direction..d80 remote alternatives
    Some can only be used from the front which, I'd think, would not be helpful to you.

Do you have an occupational therapist...they're so good at making stuff to help.
    Please let us know how you do and what you find and any solutions. Might help others too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Good luck in your quest to get set up. Something you may want to consider is to make sure you buy a camera with a live LCD screen so you can frame up your picture that way if necessary and not always have to look through the viewfinder, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm sure you don't want to carry a computer around with you, but you can hook some cameras up to a computer, and use the computer to run all the controls, including zooming. Not a very good solution, but I thought I would throw it out there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Laptop????
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks for the replies guy's, I'll take all your suggestions into account. Now knowing that the zoom is controlled with the lens ring and the left hand sounds real promising (like I said I'm looking to start photography, so still quite a newbie) I'll also look into super zoom compacts. I'll research some more and let you guy's know what I come up with.
    Thanks

Hope you do come up with something usable.....might help many others too.
    Keep Shooting!

Thread Information