Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Kinda lost, someone help please

My first post within this community, and I would like to say hi first off. I am a laid back person who always had a passion to try photography. I never taking classes and my knowledge is very limited.

I been looking at cameras lately, and my local shop does layaway, with that being said I can get something that would be nice and worth getting.

After many reviews, and concerns, basically I want to make sure I am not going over board but was looking at getting the nikon 7000 w lens.

Being that I am not experience do you recommend the nikon 7000 or another one?

The abilities I would like to do with the camera would be:

HD Video
    High Quality Pictures with excellent details
    Portait photos (for family and friends)
    User Friendly

I just want to make sure I am making the right decision thanks guys for your help.

Re: Kinda lost, someone help please

The d7000 is a (damn) fine camera, but it may be overboard for you. Check out the Sony SLT series, the best video DSLR's on the market right now, and check out the Canon Rebel T2i (and now the T3i as well), both of those will be much less expensive. For the portrait photos pick up a 50mm fixed lens.

In any event, its always a good practice to spend a good chunk of your budget on a good lens, rather than spending the whole thing on the camera. All of the photographers here I am sure would agree, we'd rather have a good lens on a cheap camera, then the other way around.

HD Video
    High Quality Pictures with excellent details
    Portait photos (for family and friends)
    User Friendly
    HD Video - all of the ones I recommended have HD video ability.
    High quality pictures with excellent details - Every DSLR on the market right now produces excellent image quality.
    Portrait photos - get a FAST FIXED LENS! I cannot emphasize this enough, the 50mm f/1.8 or 1.7 will work well. Other options are available as well, 50mm f/1.4, or even 85mm options.
    User-friendly - The consumer level DSLR's will probably be more "beginner friendly", but the pro bodies are typically more advanced user friendly.

Thanks for your input!

So I will check out the Sony SLT series and Canon Rebel T2i and T3i

I was just concern, its like buying a lambo for your first car to drive in... Do not want to break or misuse my equipment.

PIck up a 50mm fixed lens, what about flash? Once again I am totally noob here, and have no experience in Digital SLR, but been dying to learn.

OK I am looking at the Sony SLT Series, not so sure about that, the Canon however may be a good candidate..

I am currently looking at the specs now to see if i see a problem now, and I will be looking at a FAST FIXED LENS!

Thanks so much for that tip ! I am so excited to be able to start my new hobby! Just gathering the knowledge of which camera and lens will be great to go with.

Ok so I placed a deposit on Nikon D90 with lens only cost 1k.

I hope to get it out soon, and the guy said I could apply the money towards another camera if I wanted. I guess the D90 be the good way to go... right?

After all I can save money focus more money on Zoom Lens and what not.

The D90 is a first generation movie SLR, it will only have the most rudimentary and basic features for the video recording aspect.

That aside, its a damned fine camera. If video was a priority of yours, I would look at other options though.

The two bargain "FAST FIXED LENS!" (haha) for Nikon mount are the 50mm f/1.8 and hte 35mm f/1.8, both very fast, very good, and very useful.

Reality check

I hope you're not expecting too much from the HD video part.

Modern DSLR's are extremely good at doing still pictures. About 2 years ago manufacturers started to make DLRS's that could also do movies. However shooting a video is incompatible with the high-performance focussing mechanism used in DSLR's:

- the D90 won't autofocus at all when shooting a video
    - the D7000 will autofocus while shooting a video but it's a bit hesitant
    - if you put an older, non silent-focussing lens like the 50mm f1.8 on the D7000 then your soundtrack will have the WHIRRR WHIRRR noises of the lens focussing

Buy a DSLR to take still pictures. The movie feature is secondary.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

OK, well that kinda blows that I can not use it very well for video, so is the D90 a great choice for a beginner?

I was able to get it for 1,054 dollars. Not to shabby, with a lens of course.

I'm going to disagree with Charles here. I've known videographers who use video DSLRs to make professional commercials and music videos. These DSLR's are even up to the task of professional videography. They also do have a microphone input. The video quality is great, and having only manual focus isn't terrible, you get used to it and work with it. Also - the Sony SLT does actually use the high performance focusing mechanism during video recording - its called the "phase detect AF", as opposed to the slower "Contrast detect", and you can pair it with SSM or SAM lens for silent autofocus during video (or, plug in external mic for better audio)

That said, the D90 will still give you excellent video quality, you just have to use only the LCD and manual focus. It doesn't work like a traditional video camera, but you'll get adjusted to it. The D90 is a super solid camera, with great interface and solid body, and it'll work with all the Nikon lens' AF.

Thanks Anbesol, thats what I thought, some guys on youtube were shooting videos, and with basic cameras, its all about the settings and something else they said.

so we can all agree here that I will be happy with the D90 and not the D7000?

400 Dollar difference, and I am going to be focusing on purchasing another lens, and possibly a flash.

The place where I am getting my camera offers rentals so I can rent lens pieces to see if its what I want.

Thread Information