Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What type of camera to buy

Hi! I am about to graduate from college next week and I have a couple of questions in regards to what type of camera I should buy. I own a construction company with my brother and father and I need to take semi-professional pictures so I could show potential clients and post on our website. I also want to be able to edit them in either adobe lightroom 2 or Apple's aperture 2. Right now I am using a Nikon coolpix S710 and uploading them on my macbook. And it is just not cutting it. So, my question is: Should I look for a beginner's digital slr camera or one of those ultra zoom cameras. My budget is around $500ish (I can use my student discount to buy the software). And what kind of lens should I look for? Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by tgtaggie; 04-27-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Re: What type of camera to buy

The type of pictures I want to start taking http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgsimag...er/3198622239/

The type I am taking now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37906148@N08/3481186530/

Since this also is a pretty big investment for me, I want to learn more about the art and how to create it.
    Last edited by tgtaggie; 04-27-2009 at 01:30 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You should be able to get shots like those with a good point and shoot.
    Which one, I wouldn't know but someone will jump in and give you an educated answer.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Whatever camera you end up going with one of the things that will be needed is a good WIDE ANGLE lens. In the pictures in the link that shows photos like you desire to take the photographer fairly close to the subject and had a wide field of view. In taking picture of buildings a wide angle will be a must in my opinion, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No need for a superzoom shooting that, you won't be shooting very telephoto at all. What you'll want is something with good distortion control, so those straight lines actually *are* straight. This also means you'll need to zoom in at least a little to get, at *least* a 35-40mm equivalent. SLR lenses do offer the best distortion control, but they will be pricier.

You could get a cheap SLR with a ~30mm and a 50mm prime. Those will offer the best exposure range, distortion control and value you can find. In the mount I am most familiar with - (Minolta/Sony), you could get a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, with a 28mm f/2.8, and a 50mm f/1.7 for right around the budget you are looking at. The current beginner DSLR's in the mount being more expensive at no real advantage, unless live-view is important.

I just looked on KEH.com's website, and that arrangement could be purchased there virtually right on that $500 line. Don't be dissuaded by the 6.1megapixels, its actually plenty and I'd take that over the future 10/12mpix options. This option gives you the very best you can get for distortion control, so those straight construction lines will be very straight (relative to perspective shot from, of course). Also keep in mind to compensate for perspective distortion, shoot perpendicular to the building. You could also look into the 20mm or 24mm primes as an alternative to the 28, but that 28 is better with distortion control.

The Canon Rebel XT with a similar ~30mm prime and Canons 50mm f/1.8 should put you around the same ballpark as well.

*edit - also noting the 'wide angle' comment. Yes that is true what you shoot will keep you in wide angle, but TOO wide angle will create serious barrel distortion, turning those straight lines into bowed lines. 28mm with the crop factor is at 42mm equiv, not very wide but as wide as it gets while still managing those straight lines.

Would 'mm equivalent' matter for lens distortion? – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Well, yes but not entirely. Of course, full frame would always give the best distortion control, but the guys budget is $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Well, yes but not entirely. Of course, full frame would always give the best distortion control, but the guys budget is $500.
    I really appreicate the advice. How much does a full frame lens cost (I don't mind if it is used).

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I really appreicate the advice. How much does a full frame lens cost (I don't mind if it is used).

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

When they talk about 'full frame' they are talking about the sensors in expensive professional cameras that have larger sensors than the consumer slr and way bigger than p&s.
    A lot of distortion can be remedied in photoshop too. Not sure about lightroom or aperture 2
    If you took the photos you posted the link to, I don't see much distortion.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

A few questions...

Did you take those pictures with your current camera?

What are you trying to achieve with the new camera that your current camera is not capable of? Like you need more zoom or want more manual settings so you can adjust yourself.

The used market will get you more for your money but you have to be careful with who you purchase from.

As Frog mentioned, "full frame" deals with the camera body not the lens. This is one example, the Canon D5 MkII

James

Also, Welcome to the forum...

Thread Information