Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What Ive narrowed it down to

Well, unfortunatly and fortunatly, in my case (here ) it looks like im going to be go digital. If you want to read into why, feel free to click the link above. Anyway, ive narrowed it down to the the following cameras, and ive listed the price that ive found each for. I would really like any input that you have on each camera.

Cameras:
    Minolta A1
    Nikon CP 5700
    Olympus E-10 (and E-20P)
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ15 (and FZ20)
    ---------------------------------------
    I pulled all of these prices from KEH Camera Brokers, which is probably where i am going to be buying from)
    --------------------------------------
    MINOLTA A1 = $325-339
    Fact sheet found here:
    http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT....urpic=0&dpsp=0

----------------------------------
    Nikon CP 5700 = $325-339
    Facts here: http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT....urpic=0&dpsp=0

Olympus E-10 (and E-20P) = $254-265 ($360)

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ15 (and FZ20) = 339 (349)
    (no extra information found for FZ20)

---

Okay, now that i have each camera listed that i have been looking at, i want to give you all of the information that i have for myself, as of what im looking for. Im sure that there is at least one person out there who can help me out with finding exactly what i need (or atleast close)

So, getting to it, here is what im looking for:

1. I want something thats probably still point and shoot, but something that i can still mess around with, i want to be able to set the focus manually (like the ring on the Panasonic)
    2. I would like to have something with big lense
    3. Big one here, i would really like something that uses "compact flash" type storage. I have another camera around that uses this type of storage and has a 512mb card in it.
    4. Im dont have money, i have been quoted to sell my lenses for about $115, and i can still raise enough to hit around $300 MAX, i really dont want to step over $350, i looked around, and i found that i can get something like this USED. Yes, i already know that im not able to buy what i need new, so im gonna go fo something mildly used.

----

alright, there you have it, these are the cameras that i found, and if anyone can give me some input on these cameras, that would be fantastic, aswell as if anyone has additions to my list.

Re: What Ive narrowed it down to

Wait, Samsung is releasing a camera as well soon in the 6meg pixel range and the price hasn't shown up yet, it might also be a good option.

Oh wow, that would be great aswell, i have quite a few samsung products and am very happy with all of them. Do you have any info on the camera, or when it is going to be released?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I have used the Minolta A1, Minolta A2 and Panasonic FZ20.

I think I have the best results form the A1, in terms of image quality and usability.
    Manual focus is easier with the A2 because of its higher resolution viewfinder.
    But the A2 has AF problems on bright highlights like polished car wheels
    Since I photograph racing cars that's proved a problem.

Despite the lower resolution, the A1 has turned out better results.
    Better colour, less noise at low light levels or high ISO setting, more reliable AF.
    The A2 wins when manual focussing and is 8MP instead of 5MP, but it's the same lens and almost the same body.

But for my wife, the FZ20 is the one she can use most reliably - she even gets racing cars in the shot while they're moving !
    I borrowed it at Goodwood festival of speed when my 20D batteries went flat and got saleable shots.

Lens quality on the Minoltas seems as good as, if not better than the Panasonic.
    But it's only 7x zoom and not 12x so if you want a long lens go for the Panasonic.

The controls on the A1 are far easier to use for manual shutter, aperture and focus.
    I found the Panasonic while it has those controls somewhere in the menus, it was not as easy as the Minolta which has handy dial controls for most functions.
    There's not as much menu-searching and button-pressing to get things done on the A1.

The Panasonic wins in the automatic modes, and with its longer zoom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Great, its been narrowed down to two cameras now:
    The MINOLTA A1
    and
    The NIKON CP 5700

Thread Information