Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Switch to Digital - Question #2

When considering a switch to digital, there is another question to consider - how to manage the digital photos? Right now, I have hanging folders in my desk labeled: Big Sur, New Mexico, Colorado, Alaska, etc. Inside these folders are my prized negatives, and a matching 4X6 print. I know there is software to aid this process BUT: Will it provide thumbnail images? Will it allow you to save to multiple CD's with thumbnails? Can I have an Alaska CD, with the software providing thumbnails, and one for Colorado, New Mexico, etc? Anyone have any thoughts on this? What software is recommended? What are the best packages to use?

Budding Beginner
    The software best for that depends on what operating system you're using? Windows XP or Mac OSX (the two most common)? Mac OS X (my operating system) comes with iPhoto which will suit your needs just fine. It allows you to organize your photos into albums, where you can view the thumbnails of each picture. It will also allow you to burn them to CDs if you wish. There are also a number of other software suites for your needs. iPhoto isn't on Windows, but I'm sure there are plenty of software applications out there for Windows that will do just as good.

If you're using Windows XP, whenever you open the contents of, let's say, a CD...there are different viewing modes that allow you to see thumbnails of every picture on a CD. I burn all of my digital pictures to CD (actually, I make two copies because my ferret loves to chew on them) and then I just take my CD to have 4x6 copies made of just the good ones. I really reccommend going to digital...if you make the right investment it could eventually save you money on developing prices and film costs.

Budding Beginner
    With either operating system, you can just organize the pictures in folders (just like you would any file on the computer), and the operating system alone will give you the option to look at thumbnails of each picture. You can then burn them to CDs, and like mikeandtam said, print the ones you like.

Trust me, going digital gives you MORE options in organizing your photos. It's so easy, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Thread Information