Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Switch to Digital?

I have a Nikon N80, but I am considering switching to digital. I have two key questions: Can you get slides from digital? If so, are they any good? Comparable to film slides? Just a little poorer quality than film slides? I am having problems understanding how a digital image could make a good slide. Any opinions out there?

Why?

Paul-
    You can have slides made from digital files. They won't look as good as original 35mm transparencies, though. Can you tel me why you're asking this question? Why would you want to have slides made from digital camera images? Digital slides used to mostly be made for Powerpoint slideshows, where quality isn't that important. If you want to have slideshows and you want to switch to digital, consider showing them to people on your TV or using a digital projector. Those would both be a much simpler and better way to do it than having digital slides made.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Reply to Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Paul-
    You can have slides made from digital files. They won't look as good as original 35mm transparencies, though. Can you tel me why you're asking this question? Why would you want to have slides made from digital camera images? Digital slides used to mostly be made for Powerpoint slideshows, where quality isn't that important. If you want to have slideshows and you want to switch to digital, consider showing them to people on your TV or using a digital projector. Those would both be a much simpler and better way to do it than having digital slides made.
    I am having trouble with exposure control on my Nikon N80. I took some waterfall pictures in NM and was very disappointed in them. I shoot pictures, then get the film developed, only to find out I don't like them. By then, it is too late to re-shoot. From what I have read, the D70 is an excellent camera, and could give me "instant feedback" so I could play with the exposure until it suits me. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about the cost of film and developing. I could shoot to my heart's content. Occasionally though, I would want a slide made. I guess in those instances, I could do what I am doing now (have a slide made from a 4 X 6 print). 99% of my photos will be prints, but occasionally I will need a slide for the OKC Camera Club competition. Am I making sense? Don't answer that.

My opinion, having both film camera and digital camera (canon ESO30 and 10D), yes the beauty of Digital is seeing the image on the LCD, but you really need to view it on a monitor to ensure that the iamge is what you were after. The LCD screen for me, is just not that efficient.

Buy the digital, if you need a slide, use the digital, get the settings and then shoot the slide as you would have, you will end up with more keepers that way I am sure. Hence part of the reason to go Digital.

Paul,

Exposure is up to YOU, not the camera. In most situations, the camera will meter rpoperly, but not in all. Not liking exposure in some images is not a good enough reason to go to digital, you need to understand the fundamentals of exposure for either format. Were you shooting slides in the N80? If not, the negatives are probably fine, and the lab that printed the images did it in a way you don't like. Scanning the negatives and printing yourself would give you the best control in that situation.

I suggest you tell us in detail why you didn't like the shots before you blow money on a new camera. It might be soemthing really simple.

Peter,

Using the setting from the digital on a film camera would not eb a good idea. They simply react differently, beyond the obvious differences in metering between cameras and ISO sensitivity discrapencies.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Old hack
    Before spending the bucks on a digital camera, work on photographic technique. Equipment doesn't make the picture --the photographer does. You need to know the fundamentals of the photographic process no matter what type of gear you use. There are a lot of good books that will explain things like exposure. If outdoor photography is your thing, look at John Shaw's books -- "Nature Photography Field Guide" and "Landscape Photography". This is A LOT less expensive that a D70 and will get you A LOT more good pictures.

Regards
    Dennis

Thread Information