Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sony DSC F828 firmware upgrade woes

I recently got a new computer with USB 2.0 ports and starting having troubles transferring picturess from the camera to the computer. I remembered about the firmware upgrade to resolve the issues, so I went through all the steps and I made the upgrade, confirming the V2 status according to Sony's instructions. I still have trouble with transferring pictures. Luckily, this computer came with one of those fance HP photo printers with all the cool memory card slots, so I can stick my memory cards into the printer and transfer the pictures that way. It's just more of a hassle than plugging directly into the camera. I don't know if it matters, but our photo storage drive is an external USB drive so maybe that might have something to do with it.

Any clues as to why I still have trouble transferring pictures after the firmware upgrade?

Thanks.

Re: Sony DSC F828 firmware upgrade woes

back to the best methods of transferring pics to PC being a cheapo flash card reader.. useing windows explorer u just drag and drop them straight from card to your hard drive.. usb external or otherwise.. windows dosnt know the difference..

trog100

You're being kind of cryptic with what problems you are having. Exactly happens when you try to download pictures from your camera?

It'll transfer the first 10-20 or so just fine, and then a message box pops up with some error like, "Invalid format" or something along those lines.. Trying to restart the transfer (by dragging and dropping through windows, or via copy and paste) only repeats the problem. According the the Sony website the old firmware supposedly corrupted files on transfer using USB 2.0. I learned the hard way, long ago, to copy the pics off of the memory card, rather than move or cut and paste, only deleting the pics off the card when I know they all made it to the computer intact.

sounds like the files are still being corrupted during the transfer then.. u might have problems if u are useing a USB hub to plug in several devices.. i have a couple of external usb hard drives.. whilst not saying they are unreliable.. lets say they can suffer from more problems than the normal type drives.. so can all usb devices.. have u run a scandisk on the drive cos windows never does so on its own..

trog100

Do you re format the memory card in the camera?

It's a pretty new drive, maybe I'll try to hook up he external HD via firewire. Maybe that'll be a little more reliable?

Yup, right after the upgrade, as the instructions instructed me to. Maybe I'll contact Sony tech support. As much as I like their products, form what I've heard and my own experiences, I'm not crazy about their customer support.

Thread Information