Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Should I get the Canon SD3500IS?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on getting a new digital camera, since my old one (which is actually a camcorder), the Sony MHS-PM1 (the Webbie) really sucks at both video and photos. So I want to buy an actual camera and not a camcorder (lesson learned!). I was looking at the Canon SD3500IS, which is the touchscreen camera. I'll only take pictures once in a while and only shoot random pictures of scenery or people, then I'll just transfer the pictures and view them on my computer, and maybe make 4x6 in. prints once in a while. I like how it's a touchscreen cam, and really want to try it, but I keep reading these reviews about how horrible the photo quality is. But is it really that bad, since I saw some samples and they don't look that bad.

If you look at the photo I took with the MHS-PM1, you'll know how bad the webbie is and I need a new camera: http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...8/DSC01726.jpg

So should I get the Canon SD3500IS, or is there any recommendations? Thanks!

Re: Should I get the Canon SD3500IS?

Dude,

Do not spring the extra money for some touch-screen fad. Seriously, think about the means and the ends. What are you looking to get out of a camera? You want a camera that is very functional and takes really good photos. Considering that the year is 2011, it is perfectly reasonable to look for something that also takes HD video (720p/1280p). You don't want to spring any additional money for any bells and whistles outside of anything that will substantively add to the usability and functionality of these two features.

Touchscreen in my opinion is utterly useless. It's a fad and one that you'll pay extra to be an early adopter for very little benefit. Touchscreen, if anything, will only drain your battery life faster and that will lead to you being able to take less pictures or photos. And at a price point of $229 on amazon, you can get a LOT more CAMERA for the money with other options.

Basically most canons and nikons between $120-$200 will get you the same, if not more bang for the buck. But if you're ready to spring $230, consider these options:

1) $200 Canon PowerShot SX200IS 12 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) -- it's 2 mp less than your proposed, but you won't see this in image quality unless you are going to print poster sizes all the time. Did I mention it has 12x optical zoom on a wide-angle lens? It also does HD and everything else as good as the one you're considering.

2) $140 Nikon Coolpix S6000 14.2 MP Digital Camera with 7x Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver). 7x optical zoom lens with VR. It does everything else the same.

3) $195 Canon PowerShot SD940IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-inch LCD (Black)

4) $185 Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black) -- this is the same as #3, except this has a viewfinder, which means you can turn off the LCD and effectively double the # of photos you can take.

Thread Information