Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Research Camera

Research Camera

Good-day,

I am currently designing a research system in which I will be taking B&W profile pictures (i.e., side-on, still-image, digital) of stationary, molten magnesium droplets around 3-10 mm (~0.1-0.4 in) in diameter, with heights that should range around 1-5 mm (~0.04-0.2 in) (these are only preliminary numbers, and, as such, there could be some variations outside the ranges given).

The droplets I will be imaging will be immersed in a molten salt electrolyte (the electrolyte is relatively transparent), in a transparent crucible, with the pictures taken through a window located in the side of a cylindrical furnace

One of my requirements is to obtain a relatively sharp image of the drop profile, as I am currently looking at using image analysis software to determine the drop outline in the pictures taken.

The lighting currently comes mostly from standard ceiling fluorescent lights currently present in the lab, with the only other source of light (at the moment) being the furnace elements which encircle the crucible (emitting a soft orange glow) (Note: the magnesium droplets do NOT glow like other molten metals, but, rather, are somewhat dull grey in appearance).

The only other desire is that the camera be relatively inexpensive (i.e., I can sacrifice some image quality for lower cost, so long as the image is still somewhat clear).

As I am rather new to digital cameras, I am looking for some input as to a suitable specific digital camera or more general specifications that I would be looking for. In addition, beneficial suggested modifications to the current set-up (i.e., an additional light source to further illuminate the system in study if that would help) would be appreciated if anybody can think of any.

If any additional information is required, feel free to ask.

Thank you all for your time and assistance.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

Interesting Problem

Your post is an interesting challenge. How stable is your subject? Can you take your time taking a picture or do the droplets move or disappear quickly? How much money do you have? "Inexpensive," is a relative term. You need some sort of macro ability as your subject is so small. I think you'll actually need a macro accessory lens.

Tell me more and I'll think about what might work. Budget is a key consideration.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Interesting Problem

Good-day,

The answers to the questions asked are as follows:

How stable is your subject? Can you take your time taking a picture or do the
    droplets move or disappear quickly?

The magnesium droplets will be deposited onto a horizontal surface where they will
    come to an equilibrium in a dome shape wih the approximate dimensions given in
    the previous post; it is during this equilibrium that I wish to take my pictures. At
    this stage, the droplets will not be moving in an appreciable fashion.

The droplets will not dissolve, float away, or otherwise disappear from where they
    were deposited.

How much money do you have? "Inexpensive," is a relative term.

As I am still in the process of designing my system and determining the costs of
    the other components, I can only give an approximate maximum expenditure for the
    camera of CAD$3500-4000 (US$2600-3000).

Thank you for your time and assistance.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

Plenty of money

It sounds like you have plenty of money. With that budget you can invest in a entry-level digital SLR with a real macro lens. That will give you the most control and the best possible quality. The current choices are the Nikon D100, Nikon D70, Canon Digital Rebel, Canon EOS 10D, and Pentax *ist D. They're all digital SLRs with changeble lenses and all three manufacturers have excellent macro lenses available.

Here's a link to the Digital SLR reviews on this site:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Profess...S_3127crx.aspx

And we also have a forum dedicated to Digital SLRs. You might want to post there, too:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...isplay.php?f=5

Hope I'm getting you on track.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information