Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: OT- sort of

OT- sort of

I did a bad thing.. Some of you may know that I (wife too) are the new proud owners of a Sony f828. Anyway, the other night I was playing with a bunch of settings taking pics in low light w/o flash, long shutter speeds, saturation/contrast/sharpness settings, and the infamouse exposure controls (I'll explain).. Well to get to the point, my wife took the kids to disney land yesterday and took some of the cutest pics of the kids, or so she though. It seemed that I forgot the set the exposure back to normal, and left it set at +2.0. When she got home last night, around 11pm, we loaded the pics on to the computer and found they were all washed out. She almost cried. I managed to set everything else back to normal except that one. Anyway, I guess we can chalk that one up as a hard lesson learned. The last time I did something like this, I was playing with the white balance, and had it set to incandecent light and the next day we went to the park and all those pics of the kids playing turned out very blue.

Ouch!

Don't feel too bad. We've all done it. Maybe it's time for the old, "Stupidest Mistakes I've Made With My Camera" discussion. It has to be done periodically

If you do want to post such a discussion, and admit to a larger audience what you've done, , I recommend posting on ViewFinder. That's the most general forum here and the most appropriate for that discussion. You probably noticed that I moved this thread to the General Digital Cameras forum. I know you feel comfortable on the Sports forum and that's your main interest, but it's really better for this post to be here. It will be more useful for other photographers, plus, I think it's time for you to step out and explore these forums a little more. Dontcha think?

Sorry about the lost photos. It's not a bad idea to have camera settings that you always return to before putting the camera away. Olympus has a nice feature with their compact cameras. They give you three options for start-up settings: always return to the defaults, always stay at the last settings, or you can set up your own default settings - that's how I always use the Olympus cameras. I think that's something other camera manufacturers should copy. When I used the 828 I only used it in full manual so there's no way I could really screw up. As soon as I turned it on I had to check the exposure as it was always all my responsibility. I've never been entirely comfortable relying on the camera to make my decisions. I prefer taking all exposure responsibility on myself - the good and the bad. I think that can be a better way to learn, too. You'll make more mistakes. But you'll learn how exposure works and you'll learn to be careful and pay more attention.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the heads up on the forum posting, and I have been checking out the other forums. I spent a few hous in the photo critique forum the past couple of days. there's a lot to learn there about what makes a good picture.. Its kind of funny, I'm the exact opposite regarding camera settings. I trust good "new" fashoned auto modes over my own judgement! I feel extra bad because she has explicitly asked me to set the camera back to the way it was when I'm done playing. I do think she needs to take a more active role in learing all of the camera's functions though. At first all of those little icons on the LCD can be overwhelming. For a while there my owners manual was my favored bathroom reading material.

Thread Information