Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

digital p&s under $400

So far I've had a pretty bad experience with digital photography due to an unfortunate Kodak. But I'm determined to buy a new camera soon for a trip abroad. This will probably become my main family camera for snaps and fun.

I had it narrowed down to two models, but after talking to some friends I've got it narrowed down to 4. Help!

Priorities include good picture quality, ease of use and speed. Hoping for street price under $400. Any thoughts out there? Here is my current list.

Konica Minolta Dimage G500 (5MP) -- I don't like the docking station for this.

Pentaz Optio 450 (4 MP) -- I saw the 550 and it seemed easy to use. But I don't know much more about this one.

Canon Powershot s50 (5 MP) -- This was my original pick. I was steered away from it by a salesman.

Nikon Coolpix 4500 (4MP) -- Photographer friends say this is cool. But it seems slow. Hard to find.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhwolk

Pentaz Optio 450 (4 MP) -- I saw the 550 and it seemed easy to use. But I don't know much more about this one.

Canon Powershot s50 (5 MP) -- This was my original pick. I was steered away from it by a salesman.

Nikon Coolpix 4500 (4MP) -- Photographer friends say this is cool. But it seems slow. Hard to find.
    In reality, you won't see much difference between these. My personal choice would be between the Pentax and the Canon.

I owned a Pentax Optio 330 digital. It was a wonderful camera in terms of ergonomics. The pre-exposure histogram is something I've not seen elsewhere (extremely useful). I gave it to a friend who uses it all the time.

No honest saleman would turn you away from the Canon S50. It is argueably the best-in-class for this type of camera. Don't go back there. Canon prides itself on low noise; this one follows that tradition, albeit compared to other 5 MP models. Also look for good prices on the S45 (4 MP).
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Cool Just to add to the list.......heheh...

you might want to consider the Canon s400. It's a very small, but awesome camera. Michael Fanelli has one (the guy who posted above). Here's the link. Followed by a link for the specifications. The price has gone down considerably because it's going to be discontinued. However, most digitals are discontinued as new ones come out - it doesn't mean it's "outdated" and don't be afraid to buy one.

Link to Michael's photo:
    Behind Auraria Campus

Specs
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=278235&is=REG

I also agree that the s50 and s45 are excellent cameras. There are comparable cameras in other brands, but you can't beat the optical quality of Canon.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    In reality, you won't see much difference between these. My personal choice would be between the Pentax and the Canon.

I owned a Pentax Optio 330 digital. It was a wonderful camera in terms of ergonomics. The pre-exposure histogram is something I've not seen elsewhere (extremely useful). I gave it to a friend who uses it all the time.

No honest saleman would turn you away from the Canon S50. It is argueably the best-in-class for this type of camera. Don't go back there. Canon prides itself on low noise; this one follows that tradition, albeit compared to other 5 MP models. Also look for good prices on the S45 (4 MP).

Go for the S400 for point and shoot camera, especially for a vacation trip. Easy to fit into your pocket and great for transportation.

Thanks

I knew I could count on someone to add to the list. Time to shop

Liz

Question Shop?

Now......don't leave us hanging too long!

What are you getting? Actually the best way to do it - go and get the "feel" for the cameras you are considering. That should do it! Final Decision.....let us know!

Liz

I knew I could count on someone to add to the list. Time to shop

So far I've had a pretty bad experience with digital photography due to an unfortunate Kodak. But I'm determined to buy a new camera soon for a trip abroad. This will probably become my main family camera for snaps and fun.

I had it narrowed down to two models, but after talking to some friends I've got it narrowed down to 4. Help!

Priorities include good picture quality, ease of use and speed. Hoping for street price under $400. Any thoughts out there? Here is my current list.

There is no docking station for the Minolta Dimage G500. It is just a USB cable.

Ronnoco

Canon A80

For all of you following this with rapt attention.

Canon s50 is sold out in my neighborhood.

Now leaning toward the Canon A80. I like the swivel-out LCD screen and the fact that it runs on AA batteries in a pinch -- might come in handy in Asia. I like the fact that it has room to grow, with lots of manual settings.

The s400 is the other one in the running, thanks Liz. Great for its small size but maybe not enough room for creativity.

I'm torn. Any last thoughts? I'm buying on Sunday and that's it. OK. Watch in early April for pictures.

Note to Ronnoco -- The g500 has a docking station for charging, based on a review I saw on dpreviews. That means you have to stash the whole camera until the battery is recharged.

Liz

If you want the S50

Both the S50 and A80 would be good choices. However, if you really like the S50 (great reviews) you might consider buying online from a reputable dealer like B&H - while you can still get them. They are more popular than the A80. Excellent camera - I almost got one myself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=278234&is=REG

Good Luck...........

Liz

For all of you following this with rapt attention.

Canon s50 is sold out in my neighborhood.

Now leaning toward the Canon A80. I like the swivel-out LCD screen and the fact that it runs on AA batteries in a pinch -- might come in handy in Asia. I like the fact that it has room to grow, with lots of manual settings.

The s400 is the other one in the running, thanks Liz. Great for its small size but maybe not enough room for creativity.

I'm torn. Any last thoughts? I'm buying on Sunday and that's it. OK. Watch in early April for pictures.

Note to Ronnoco -- The g500 has a docking station for charging, based on a review I saw on dpreviews. That means you have to stash the whole camera until the battery is recharged.

Hopefully helpful...

Ah, new camera shopping. Like Christmas in March.

I like the other suggestions. I looked at the S50 before deciding on the A80 for the reasons you mentioned - the AA batteries and the swivel screen, both of which I find convenient. The A80 has wonderful image quality and has nice "feel" to it, at least to me. I've been very pleased with it.

I would also seriously consider the digital Elph you mentioned (or it's successor). It also takes great pictures (same sensor, I believe) and if you can live without/won't use all the A80 manual controls you will really enjoy the extra portability of the Elph. The real size difference between the Elphs and the A series isn't that great, but in practice, the point where a camera no longer fits in your pocket is an important difference in convenience.

In any case, whatever you choose from the cameras you mentioned should make you happy. Have fun on Sunday with your new toy!

Note to mhwolk: A battery charger is certainly NOT a docking station. The battery comes out of
    the camera for recharging of course, but with another battery you just keep on shooting. A docking station is what Kodak uses on some of their models to connect to the computer.

Ronnoco

Right.

But I saw a picture indicating you have to stick the whole camera into a charger to recharge the battery. (Now, of course, I can't find it.)

If what you say is true -- the battery comes out for charging -- this camera seems like a great value. It has all the manual controls AND extremely compact size.

(And no I have not purchased one yet but I must this week!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Note to mhwolk: A battery charger is certainly NOT a docking station. The battery comes out of
    the camera for recharging of course, but with another battery you just keep on shooting. A docking station is what Kodak uses on some of their models to connect to the computer.

Ronnoco

Minolta G500 no docking station

Right.

But I saw a picture indicating you have to stick the whole camera into a charger to recharge the battery. (Now, of course, I can't find it.)

If what you say is true -- the battery comes out for charging -- this camera seems like a great value. It has all the manual controls AND extremely compact size.

(And no I have not purchased one yet but I must this week!)
    Hi:

I have the camera and battery charger right in front of me, and I can positively assure you that there is NO DOCKING STATION. The battery is a lithium rechargeable type that handles 80 to 100 or so shots depending on your use of flash and the LCD screen.

I like it, and I am used to 35mm SLR with lenses and Vivitar 285 flash units etc. Size and manual controls, as well as 5 megapixels sold me on this camera. I can stuff it in my pocket and take street pictures in Quebec, or even in churches without anyone noticing or objecting.

Ronnoco

I have had a Canon S40 and it was good. I sold it 4 months ago to buy a Pentax Optio 555, and the Pentax is much better in my opinion. It's a smaller package, 5 MP instead of 4 MP, and 5X optical zoom instead of 3X. There is a current $50 rebate available which should get it under $400 for an online purchase.

Thread Information