Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

need some help in choosing a digital camera or staying with film!

Ok i am new here and not really sure whether this is the right forum to ask this question.
    please bear with me.

The situation is: i need a new camera, my old Nikon SLR is gone.
    Now i am thinking about "going digital".
    The digital SLRs are really expensive and i am not that impressed with the "lower priced" ones like the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS 300D.
    will Cameras like the finepix S7000 be on par with SLR regarding picture quality?
    how is the "shutterlag" of cameras like the S7000? (i am doing mainly sportsphotography. MTB and Snowboard)

or is it overall the better way to stay with a film SLR and buy a good Dia scanner?

i am thorougjhly confused here.

any help or sugestions are appreciated. i know this is a very broad approach. but thats the dilemma for me here.
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by UiUiUiUi; 03-29-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UiUiUiUi
    The digital SLRs are really expensive and i am not that impressed with the "lower priced" ones like the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS 300D.
    will Cameras like the finepix S7000 be on par with SLR regarding picture quality?
    how is the "shutterlag" of cameras like the S7000? (i am doing mainly sportsphotography. MTB and Snowboard)

or is it overall the better way to stay with a film SLR and buy a good Dia scanner?
    The Finepix 7000 is a mediocre consumer camera. If you want a P&S camera, there are much better choices. Both of the low end DSLRs that you don't like blow away consumer cameras in image quality and functionality. Consumer P&S don't even come close to DSLR quality. You might be very disappointed using a digital P&S after using an SLR.

For sports, a consumer digital can be used but it isn't easy. You will miss the SLR very quickly.

You can certainly go back to film and use a scanner. That is a much more expensive option and you lose the versatility better image quality of digital. It's just a choice.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Digital vs. Film

[QUOTE=UiUiUiUi]Ok i am new here and not really sure whether this is the right forum to ask this question.
    please bear with me.

Willkommen! UiUiUi Verstehen Sie bayrischen deutch? (Sorry, not sure where the umlaut is).

Technically 5 megapixels in digital is the equivalent of photo quality in an 8 by 10 inch print, according to lab studies, despite the rhetoric that it is less. My experience is that in sharpness, given a fast shutter lag like 1/10 of a second or less, digital might probably even be better than some film cameras with some lenses. In colour however, it is a different story, but then it depends on how trained your eye is. Many digital cameras will run 8 bit or even 16 bit colour but analogue film colour can run to 48 bit. This means much richer, vibrant colours with film, but that is assuming that you are using good camera equipment, great film and a very good processor.

A more important aspect however, is that it is possible to get and verify through the LCD screen the shot in digital at the location, that would require more use of film and no guarantee using analogue method. On location verification of having achieved the right shot when using film is not possible. Being able to modify the digital photo in the computer gives a lot of the "control" from the lab (in analogue mode...film) back to the photographer using digital.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    The Finepix 7000 is a mediocre consumer camera. If you want a P&S camera, there are much better choices. Both of the low end DSLRs that you don't like blow away consumer cameras in image quality and functionality. Consumer P&S don't even come close to DSLR quality. You might be very disappointed using a digital P&S after using an SLR.

For sports, a consumer digital can be used but it isn't easy. You will miss the SLR very quickly.

You can certainly go back to film and use a scanner. That is a much more expensive option and you lose the versatility better image quality of digital. It's just a choice.
    ok this is a misunderstanding.i didnt mean i totally dislike the DSLRs, its just that i feel the price for these is still pretty high comparing it to similar film SLR.
    this might be wrong altogther.

i just started my "market research" on the subject of digital SLRs, and its all pretty confusing. not to mention expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco

Willkommen! UiUiUi Verstehen Sie bayrischen deutch? (Sorry, not sure where the umlaut is).
    Ronnoco
    da gibts keinen bedarf für einen umlaut.
    du hast nur ein s vergessen. (deutsch)

and btw yes i speak bavarian dialect, that was the question, right?

thanks for your input on the comparison of digitals to film cameras.

Ya, leider habe ich vieles vergessen...and I better brush up on my typing too.

Ronnoco

Thread Information