Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

New Olympus C-765

Hi,

I've been looking at the new Olympus C-765, but can't find any reviews as of yet.
    It has 10X zoom, but not sure if this is a good thing or not. Would I loose quality by using zoom?
    I am also seeing, that the Olympus only gets fair marks. Anyone out there own a Olympus camera, and are you happy with the results and ease of use?
    Waiting to hear from you, since I am totally confused on buying a digital camera.
    Thanks again

Added it to the reviews

Barb-
    I added the 765 to the digital camera reviews, yesterday. Now we can start collecting reviews. Here's a link to that review page:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/PRD_299740_4337crx.aspx

Canon digital cameras definitely get the best reviews on this site. Does that mean Olympus is no good? Absolutely not. I've used a bunch of Olympus digital cameras and I've enjoyed them all. Most recently I used a C5060 for a couple of weeks and I loved it. I think the general concensus is that the Olympus image quality might not be quite as good as the Canons, but the camera designs are usually the best. I don't think any other manufacturer does a better job of making a comfortable, well-built, and easy to use digital camera. As for the 765, I can't say anything because I haven't used it. But I encourage you to play with one at the store and see what you think. And definitely compare it to the comparable Canon, Fuji, Sony, etc. And I'll see if I can't get some people to post some reviews.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Barb-
    I added the 765 to the digital camera reviews, yesterday. Now we can start collecting reviews. Here's a link to that review page:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/PRD_299740_4337crx.aspx

Canon digital cameras definitely get the best reviews on this site. Does that mean Olympus is no good? Absolutely not. I've used a bunch of Olympus digital cameras and I've enjoyed them all. Most recently I used a C5060 for a couple of weeks and I loved it. I think the general concensus is that the Olympus image quality might not be quite as good as the Canons, but the camera designs are usually the best. I don't think any other manufacturer does a better job of making a comfortable, well-built, and easy to use digital camera. As for the 765, I can't say anything because I haven't used it. But I encourage you to play with one at the store and see what you think. And definitely compare it to the comparable Canon, Fuji, Sony, etc. And I'll see if I can't get some people to post some reviews.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Thanks John
    Unfortunately I did find a review on Zdnet, and they only gave it 6.1 which is good. If I'm going to spend $700CDN for any camera I think I should try to get better.
    Going to e-mail airmiles and find out why they only sell good and not better quality cameras.

C-765

know all of Olympus cameras and get to look at them every day. You could say i work for them the 765 and the 770 are about the same. the 770 has a hot shoe that you can use extranel flashes. and on bolth cameras they have a
    Olympus aspherical glass 10x zoom lens 6.3 – 63mm, 11 lenses in 7 groups
    (38 – 380mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
    4x Optical SUPER ZOOM (1600 x 1200 only)
    That is the big change from the 750. the body i smaller they added a 4x super zoom bring it to 14x. Also it has a lager screen size on the back. When you use Optical you dont lose quality.
    if you need more help about presales you can call olympus at 888-201-4448

Quote Originally Posted by OlympusGuy
    know all of Olympus cameras and get to look at them every day. You could say i work for them the 765 and the 770 are about the same. the 770 has a hot shoe that you can use extranel flashes. and on bolth cameras they have a
    Olympus aspherical glass 10x zoom lens 6.3 – 63mm, 11 lenses in 7 groups
    (38 – 380mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
    4x Optical SUPER ZOOM (1600 x 1200 only)
    That is the big change from the 750. the body i smaller they added a 4x super zoom bring it to 14x. Also it has a lager screen size on the back. When you use Optical you dont lose quality.
    if you need more help about presales you can call olympus at 888-201-4448
    Thanks for your input.
    Great you work for Olympus but can you be impartial? Just wondering why Canon always gets the best reviews. I can get the Olympus C-5000 or the C-765 or some other lower mp cameras. I was playing with the Olympus 6 mp at Future Shop to-day and was disappointed with the noise the zoom lens makes. Unfortunately, no-body here sells the C-5000 or the C765 so I can play with it.
    Maybe will go to the big city Saturday, somebody must have them.
    Thanks again

Talking

Well the 6mp camera is probly the C-60. I can be impartial but the thing is i really know olympus. I dont have the ablity to test out other brands nor keep up with them. The c-60 is a ok camera not one of my fav. but it works heh. Why cannon get better reviews i dont know. Olympus cameras get good reviews also. PC world gave the 5060 the best camera for the year, that beats the cannon rebal. The c-5000 is on that list also at number 5 and the 750 wich is just like the 765 but better came in 3rd. the list can be found at http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...es/pcworld.pdf
    thats the link just to look see where everything stands. pc world good reviews in the past so i trust them. Me my self i own a 5060 and love it.
    The olympus lens are very good. the only problems you might have with the 765 is when you zoom all the way to that 10x or 14x its very hard to hold the camera and get the pictuers clear. Because the more you zoom the smaller the hole gets. Just to let you know the best selling cameras are sony and they make crappy digital cameras in my option. not because its not olympus but becasue the feel of them the buttons are all in the wrong spots. Why are they number 1? not because they are made well but because they make all sort of products. People feel have sony tv must get sony everything heh. Ok i dont really know what to tell you about cannon vs olympus. They bolth have ups and downs. you will find most digital cameras are pretty good of quility of the pictuers. What i would look for if your not going to be doing to much like professional there all about the same. the c-5000 i wouldent get it, but im looking for somthing professional. its a ok camera but if you looking for that zoom the 765 is a great camera. I know olympus and they have a small support team. they support the whole world on about 30-40 people on the phone. so theres not much going wrong if that many people can support the world. Another thing that is very important is warrenty and tech support. People dont look into this part when buying cameras. if you get stuck with your camera and want tech support, if they are not good then the camera no matter how good pictuers are it wont help you. Sorry iv typed so much but theres so much to look at.

Well the 6mp camera is probly the C-60. I can be impartial but the thing is i really know olympus. I dont have the ablity to test out other brands nor keep up with them. The c-60 is a ok camera not one of my fav. but it works heh. Why cannon get better reviews i dont know. Olympus cameras get good reviews also. PC world gave the 5060 the best camera for the year, that beats the cannon rebal. The c-5000 is on that list also at number 5 and the 750 wich is just like the 765 but better came in 3rd. the list can be found at http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...es/pcworld.pdf
    thats the link just to look see where everything stands. pc world good reviews in the past so i trust them. Me my self i own a 5060 and love it.
    The olympus lens are very good. the only problems you might have with the 765 is when you zoom all the way to that 10x or 14x its very hard to hold the camera and get the pictuers clear. Because the more you zoom the smaller the hole gets. Just to let you know the best selling cameras are sony and they make crappy digital cameras in my option. not because its not olympus but becasue the feel of them the buttons are all in the wrong spots. Why are they number 1? not because they are made well but because they make all sort of products. People feel have sony tv must get sony everything heh. Ok i dont really know what to tell you about cannon vs olympus. They bolth have ups and downs. you will find most digital cameras are pretty good of quility of the pictuers. What i would look for if your not going to be doing to much like professional there all about the same. the c-5000 i wouldent get it, but im looking for somthing professional. its a ok camera but if you looking for that zoom the 765 is a great camera. I know olympus and they have a small support team. they support the whole world on about 30-40 people on the phone. so theres not much going wrong if that many people can support the world. Another thing that is very important is warrenty and tech support. People dont look into this part when buying cameras. if you get stuck with your camera and want tech support, if they are not good then the camera no matter how good pictuers are it wont help you. Sorry iv typed so much but theres so much to look at.
    Thanks alot for your input. I am only a amateur at best, so you don't think the C-5000 would be that great for me?
    Your typing was ok, we all make mistakes LOL.

Hi

Well here is where you have to make your mind up heh. Yes i think the 5000 is good and will be fine. It only has a 3x optical but it has a 5.0 mp. The 765 has that 10x zoom and its alot more then 3x. Its nice to have a big zoom like that. So you just have to decied if you are going to be doing alot zooming out with your camera. Besides that its about the same. The 765 is going to be smaller then the 5000. They bolth have the same settings about. Nothing to diffrent in that aspect. I like the 10x zoom more then the 3x just incase you need that extra zoom. If you think you will be fine with that 3x then get it. It's a great camera. Alot

Well here is where you have to make your mind up heh. Yes i think the 5000 is good and will be fine. It only has a 3x optical but it has a 5.0 mp. The 765 has that 10x zoom and its alot more then 3x. Its nice to have a big zoom like that. So you just have to decied if you are going to be doing alot zooming out with your camera. Besides that its about the same. The 765 is going to be smaller then the 5000. They bolth have the same settings about. Nothing to diffrent in that aspect. I like the 10x zoom more then the 3x just incase you need that extra zoom. If you think you will be fine with that 3x then get it. It's a great camera. Alot
    Thanks again for your input, it is very much appreciated. Now the hunt is on to find that elusive 765. LOL
    Was hoping to have a digital camera by now, so I could play with it. I was hoping to get some pics while the ice was melting off the lake. BRRRRR!

look up.

The one think i dont like about olympus is they dont have a good store finder. They sell ther products everywhere but we have no way finding where they are. Its so frustrating when someone askes where can i buy them i want to buy it today. And there is no record where they are being sold. best bet is to try like best buy circut city places like that. Another option is buying it online, tons places that sell it online.

The one think i dont like about olympus is they dont have a good store finder. They sell ther products everywhere but we have no way finding where they are. Its so frustrating when someone askes where can i buy them i want to buy it today. And there is no record where they are being sold. best bet is to try like best buy circut city places like that. Another option is buying it online, tons places that sell it online.
    No Circuit City in Ontario yet, but we do have Best Buy now. Going to check out our Black's specialty store in the big city to-day. Also, checking Bestbuy website, and Black's website.
    Don't like the idea of buying on-line because I can't touch it.
    Looks like rain to-day, so it's going to suck big time for shopping.
    Thanks

Thread Information