Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need A Point-n-shoot W/ Optical Viewfinder?

I have my DSLR and huge camera bag but for times when I want to be more discrete or don't want that huge bulk in my travel, I want a point-n-shoot that still has the option of letting me use the optical viewfinder to double the battery life. After hours of surfing the net and researching, this proves to be an especially challenging feat. Very few slim compacts now have optical viewfinders which is a huge shame. There are the older Canon SD models but I have to give up a few MP and the wide angle lens that comes with the newer models just to have the optical viewfinder. There are viewfinders available on the very nichy market of DSLR wannabes but the price is creeping up towards the entry DSLRs such that it makes very little economic sense to spring $400-$700 for a point and shoot that only pretends to do what my DSLR could.

I just want a modern, compact point-n-shoot with reasonable features (HD video, image stabilization, some optical zoom, wide angle lens, good sensor) and most importantly -- an optical viewfinder!!!

Is that so hard to ask? I'm so hoping that there's a huge section of point-n-shoots with optical viewfinders that just seemed to have hit my blind spot.

Suggestions welcome.

Re: Need A Point-n-shoot W/ Optical Viewfinder?

I know the problem too. I used to use a hood to view the LCD screen. I made one out of a slide viewer. It worked pretty well.

Unfortunately, you have no blind spot.

There were a few cheap (and lousy) compacts not long ago with optical viewfinders,
    like some Canon A series, and others, but those were definitely no DSLR companions.

The current compacts with OVF's are exactly like you said - $400's, G12, P7000 etc.
    Those are the best compacts you can get in terms of quality, as well, as you probably know,
    but if you roam to DSLR-like territory, you can find some EVF's there in the $300's range (SX30, HS10, FZ40).
    My compact digital camera guide - eyalg.com

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12

You get what you pay for. The kind of features you want are not the kind of features the average grab and go camera carrier is looking for. The make them to please the masses.

Thread Information