Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Minolta or Kodak?

Hi all, After many weeks spent deliberating between the Fuji finepix s5000 or the Kodak dx6490, Ive finally taken the plunge and ordered the Kodak. Have I bought the right one? The camera is needed mainly for close-up wildlife shots, but also for landscape shots. The kodak will not be despatched to me for about a week, so there is still time to change my mind. I am a quite raw beginner as far as cameras are concerned, but am enjoying the new hobby immensly so far.

I just got my kodak dx6490 about a month and a half ago....I like it, but I am still new to it and learning all about mine. I would love after you buy the Kodak camera to tell me more about it. Actually I am using mine for Ebay and also going to take pictures for the website which I write concert reviews, moderate etc. I will be taking my first concert with this camera the end of the month so I have to get out and practice a bit. I am very excited about this.I pray that I will be able to know exactly how to use my camera for the concert soon...I am thanking God for this....let me know if you get the camera and how it works for ya.

here are a few links to the pictures I took in Puerto Rico...so perhaps these pictures can help you decide if you really like it or not...I didn't use the landscape mode on the camera when I took these pictures because I didn't know there was one...when I left for Puerto Rico I had just gotten the camera and in the midst of packing I forgot to bring the owners manual!! So it was just on the automatic mode...I thought they came out good. I must admit there is so much to learn when you get it. take the time to study the manual...and yeah it takes great pictures in the dark with the flash. I took a picture of my husband in the dark and it came out great...I am amazed. I pray it works great at the concerts I am going to.

http://hometown.aol.com/starangelroc...mtbrand=AOL_US

http://hometown.aol.com/metalangel1/...mtbrand=AOL_US

Last edited by Angel; 04-05-2004 at 12:38 AM. Reason: change something

OH yeah one other thing just so you realize...if you want to be in a picture and you have to ask somebody to take the picture for you and or a group photo...well you have to be patient and teach them how to take the picture because this camera uses auto focus framing marks in the Auto mode...(which by the way could be a bit much to explain to people)...I would suggest the PASM mode. I would set the Focus Zone to center focus and explain to them they they need to wait until the green light goes on, then press the shutter button down all the way. ......once you get into this situation you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

I say this cause I was at a meet and greet with a band. And if my husband wanted to be in the picture with me we had to find somebody and try to explain all of this to them...just use the PASM mode and set it for center zone then tell them just to hold down the button half way, wait for a green light then shoot. otherwise you could be frustrated. It really is a great camera if you have patience to study it and figure things out. I was amazed that I set the camera in the PASM mode with ISO 400....took a picture of my husband in the dark and it came out...that is amazing to me. I don't think it takes pictures in the dark like that with auto focus but it worked great on the PASM mode with ISO 400. As far as the other camera goes it's only 3.1 megapixels...the Kodak is 4. I think 4 is better than 3.1.
    Last edited by Angel; 04-05-2004 at 12:33 AM. Reason: had to change something

dx 6490

Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    OH yeah one other thing just so you realize...if you want to be in a picture and you have to ask somebody to take the picture for you and or a group photo...well you have to be patient and teach them how to take the picture because this camera uses auto focus framing marks in the Auto mode...(which by the way could be a bit much to explain to people)...I would suggest the PASM mode. I would set the Focus Zone to center focus and explain to them they they need to wait until the green light goes on, then press the shutter button down all the way. ......once you get into this situation you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

I say this cause I was at a meet and greet with a band. And if my husband wanted to be in the picture with me we had to find somebody and try to explain all of this to them...just use the PASM mode and set it for center zone then tell them just to hold down the button half way, wait for a green light then shoot. otherwise you could be frustrated. It really is a great camera if you have patience to study it and figure things out. I was amazed that I set the camera in the PASM mode with ISO 400....took a picture of my husband in the dark and it came out...that is amazing to me. I don't think it takes pictures in the dark like that with auto focus but it worked great on the PASM mode with ISO 400. As far as the other camera goes it's only 3.1 megapixels...the Kodak is 4. I think 4 is better than 3.1.
    Hi Angel, got the camera today, GREAT. Like you say, it will take a bit of getting used to, so many different options on it, I,ve just taken a few quick snaps with it to try it out, but what i,ve seen so far is fantastic!. Will give you a proper report on it when I get the chance to use it properly. Ps, Liked the Puerto Rico shots, hope to show you some of mine soon, thanks for camera tips too.

Thread Information