Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Mack extended warranties worth buying?

I was thinking about getting the Kodak P880 with the holiday bundle for $685.04 listed on
    this page....

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewprodu...l=Pricegrabber

I want the camera and one gig card for sure. Is the waranty worth getting?

I would also like opinions on Kodaks reliability.

Any and all comments are welcome, thanks Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Mack extended warranties worth buying?

Hi Grandpaw...seems like we just discussed this camera, haha. Anyway...as for the warranty, depending on how much they want for the extended warranty, it usually would be better to purchase a new camera by the time you figure in all the improvements coming. Most financial mags that I have read or seen on this subject recommends against the extended warranties. As for Kodak reliabilty, I have used my DX 4330 for over 3 years now. It has been dropped, slobbered on, kicked and generally abused very badly. The only thing wrong with it is when I accidentally tapped the plastic cover of the viewer, with a screwdriver while putting it on a tripod. It caused a small spider crack which eventually spread to all of the edges, but, I can still see the viewer just fine. As for that...the camera is basically still in excellent condition and still takes great pictures for a 3mp p/s...I've never really heard much negative about Kodak digital cameras. My only complaint was when I took it to Ritz Camera in Madison, WI and they told me it would cost $250.00 to fix that plastic cover...I won't tell you what I told them...but I think you can guess. A week later I took it to a small camera repair shop, also in Madison...and they quoted me $28.00 to fix it...at the time I didn't want to be without the camera, so I never got it fixed. But as I've said...almost 30,000 pictures taken with it with 0 problems. My 3 year old granddaughter began using it shortly after I got it, and each of my grand kids as they reached 3 also have used among some of the other relative kids, so it really gets used.
    I am a strong supporter of their cameras...I hated their camera dock though so I just used my usb cable direct to the computer.
    Hope this gives you an idea of the quality of Kodak...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Update on the Kodak P880 camera buying saga

Thanks to Ken and everyone else that helped me in my qwest to pick out my next camera. My last digital cost me $185.00 to get repaired, so right or wrong I choose to get the warranty with this camera. It will cost me about $24.00 a year for my peace of mind.

Well the decision has been made, be it right or wrong, its on the way to my house for the price of $838.87 Listed below is what I'm getting.

Kodak P880 camera
    Five year Mack warranty
    One gig high speed card (not the regular card in the package)
    Samsonite AS 1.6 Large Digital Camera/Camcorder Case
    Professional Titanium Wide Angle Lens
    Sakar High Grade Professional Telephoto Lens
    Kodak P880 Lens Adapter
    Filter to protect lens
    Extra High Capacity Li-Ion Battery
    Sakar Universal Digital Camera Screen Protector
    Sakar 5 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Update on the Kodak P880 camera buying saga

Excellent choice, I think you got a great deal...and I see you upgraded your card...that's awesome...I've been tracking my Nikon...it should be here tomorrow...if not...I'll scream bloody murder!!! hahahaha...Then you and I will have to start taking lotsa pics and comparing them...then we get barb to put her pics from her P850...and we'll be all set!!!! One thing about it taking so long to get here is I've had a chance to thouroughly read the online manual, so I'll be fairly familiar with the camera when it gets here...Good luck and happy shooting!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Excellent choice, I think you got a great deal...and I see you upgraded your card...that's awesome...I've been tracking my Nikon...it should be here tomorrow...if not...I'll scream bloody murder!!! hahahaha...Then you and I will have to start taking lotsa pics and comparing them...then we get barb to put her pics from her P850...and we'll be all set!!!! One thing about it taking so long to get here is I've had a chance to thouroughly read the online manual, so I'll be fairly familiar with the camera when it gets here...Good luck and happy shooting!!!!
    Ken
    Hi Ken,
    Not sure on the P850 yet, but I have been looking at the new Olympus model. I like it, it's small and light, only disadvantage is, no image stabilizer. Wonder if Grandpaw checked them out, you guys seem to know alot more about cameras than I.
    Good Luck with your new cameras. (Olympus SP500)
    Thanks

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by barb_48
    Hi Ken,
    Not sure on the P850 yet, but I have been looking at the new Olympus model. I like it, it's small and light, only disadvantage is, no image stabilizer. Wonder if Grandpaw checked them out, you guys seem to know alot more about cameras than I.
    Thanks
    Barb...I haven't personally checked out this camera, but I have read the specs on it and it looks like you would get a very good camera. My biggest complaint would be the lack of a hotshoe and lack of being able to use an external flash. But this can be worked around.

The price seems right. As for knowledge of cameras...I, like you, am just beginning to learn. If it weren't for all of the fine people here on PR, I probably would still be happy with my little 3.0 mp Kodak...hehehe...

I'll be looking forward to hearing about what you buy...and then even more so to see the pictures I hope you'll post!!!

In closing, don't forget, I'm the Reviews Moderator and would be real interested in your review of the camera you purchase, after you have worked with it for a while. (blatant ad for reviews!!! haha)

Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by barb_48
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks
    I don't have experience with a lot of different cameras but I did take a look at this since you mentioned it. The Olympus does seem to have a stronger than normal flash but does not have the ability for any additional flash to be added. The price is less on the Olympus camera though. One nice little feature that may be handy to have especially if you have kids or like to take pictures indoors is that the Kodak automatically raises the flash when needed for a quick snapshot were as if you forget to manually raise the flash on the Olympus you might miss a shot. This would be most important on the grab your camera for a quick shot type of photo. This would not be a deal breaker but I did want to mention this difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I don't have experience with a lot of different cameras but I did take a look at this since you mentioned it. The Olympus does seem to have a stronger than normal flash but does not have the ability for any additional flash to be added. The price is less on the Olympus camera though. One nice little feature that may be handy to have especially if you have kids or like to take pictures indoors is that the Kodak automatically raises the flash when needed for a quick snapshot were as if you forget to manually raise the flash on the Olympus you might miss a shot. This would be most important on the grab your camera for a quick shot type of photo. This would not be a deal breaker but I did want to mention this difference.
    Thanks for the info Grandpaw, It really is a mountain of info to have to remember everytime you check out a new camera. I looked at the Olympus P350 and I think that on has a hotshoe, but no megazoom. Failed to mention, the Olympus is smaller than the Kodak which might feel better in my hands, have to check that out today. (Hate going to the mall on weekends)

barb, may I make a suggestion? You ask about all these different cameras but at no time, at least since I have been reading have you given us any idea what you are going to be taking pictures of. Do you have kids? Are you into bird watching? Do you like close ups? Do you want this for snap shots? Are you interested in just capturing family memories or are you interested in photography also? all of these questions might give you and some of us giving you opinions on cameras more of an idea of what would be important to you so we might give you better answers. I know this is a little late into the game but it might help us all to figure out what is really needed in a camera.

So fire away with some info and then with your questions. Some info will help us help you!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    barb, may I make a suggestion? You ask about all these different cameras but at no time, at least since I have been reading have you given us any idea what you are going to be taking pictures of. Do you have kids? Are you into bird watching? Do you like close ups? Do you want this for snap shots? Are you interested in just capturing family memories or are you interested in photography also? all of these questions might give you and some of us giving you opinions on cameras more of an idea of what would be important to you so we might give you better answers. I know this is a little late into the game but it might help us all to figure out what is really needed in a camera.

So fire away with some info and then with your questions. Some info will help us help you!
    Good question Grandpaw.
    I need a camera with excellent image quality, I want zoom for taking nature pics and my cat. My guys like me don't like having our pics taken LOL.. I see so many excellent pics people take and I want to try to do the same. I am going to have to purchase the book, digital camera for dummies to help me understand everything. Thanks

Thread Information