Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Talking Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)

This came in the mail today. I get to play with it for three weeks, after which I'll post a camera test report for you guys. In the few hours I've had it today I am already in love with the feel of it. There's no way you could put it in your pocket, it doesn't do any neat tricks, but man it sure feels and looks nice. And the LCD is H-U-G-E ! Does size matter? In this case, yes. It's wonderful to look at the big LCD when you're composing photos.

More to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)-digilux2_front.jpg   Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)-digilux2_back.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Early Digilux 2 Samples

I took a walk for some coffee and photos with the Digilux 2, this afternoon. I can't put my finger on it, but I really think there is something special about the image quality of this camera. And the feel of the camera makes it a joy to use. If only it was about half the price!

All of these photos have been optimized a bit for color, contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. But, aside from the roses, which were taken under flourescent light in a grocery store, I found myself doing very little to them. They come out of the camera looking very, very nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)-roses.jpg   Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)-melons.jpg   Look what I got! (Caution: Leica Content)-tower.jpg  
    Photo-John

carnations not roses...happy little camera...is this a growing love affair? hmmm keep us posted...nice rich colors...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Where's Charles Leica Hess?

I'd like to see his reaction! ;)

Now this is reeeeel nice! The photos are awesome. I love the size. How much does this beauty cost? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics. It must be so exciting to be able to test these new cameras. However, it also must be VERY tempting to dig into the wallet when you find something so sweet!

Liz

Price

Price: Only $1800 US

Ouch. But I have to admit. It's very tempting with this camera. Nothing else feels like a Leica - and the Digilux 2 really feels like a Leica. That's an incredible accomplishment in itself.
    Photo-John

From a happy D2 owner...

I've owned the D2 for a few months now, and my response is very similar to yours, John. (I posted one of the two reviews on the D2 at http://www.photographyreview.com/4+t...x.aspx#reviews)

I agree with your impression about image quality. The detail, clarity, and color are spectacular. It should be -- the D2's Summicron lens is arguably the finest fixed lens available on any digital camera and its five megapixel sensor is larger than usual.

I only shoot JPEGs, so its lack of a fast raw buffer does not interfere with my shooting. Its 28-90mm zoom range covers about half of my needs -- that's why I use it in tandem with my Canon G5, with its 24mm wide converter and its 245mm tele converter. I also miss a swiveling LCD on the D2 -- but the G5 covers me there as well.

The key to the D2 is image quality and fast shutter response. Very little lag.

The big downside is price -- at $1,850, it is the most expensive digicam available. But it is probably also the best, at least in terms of image quality. If I can get three years of use out of this camera, it costs only about $50 a month to use, which is certainly workable.

You can see some of the first shots I've taken with it in a number of my pbase galleries. I'm taking it to China and Tibet for a month beginning tomorrow, and should be adding a lot more D2 pictures to my galleries when I get back in July.

Phil
    Phil Douglis
    Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pnd1@cox.net

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/travelogues/travelphotophild.htm

Thread Information