Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Liz.. bout that camera shake problem u have..

u have my curiosity aroused.. do u like taking picutres at twilight or do u just suffer from it all the time.. ???

just wondering..

trog100

Liz

Re: Liz.. bout that camera shake problem u have..

Camera shake:

I have a slight problem that only seems to show up when the lens I'm using isn't bright enough. For instance, when I used the Canon kit lens, it was noticeable sometimes. I could shoot the same subject, same focal point, with the 17-40 L lens and the results would be sharp as a tack. With the P&S, using the Canon G3 - it was never noticeable, but with the other small cameras, it would be noticeable, of course mostly in lower light situations. The G3 lense has a 2.0 aperture, which for me was the key.

I resolved the situation totally when I got the Rebel 300D by selling some of my lenses, and getting the 50mm/f1.4, 85mm/f1.8 and the 17-40 L. I had the 200mm/f4L which I had no problem with, but it was too heavy for me and I didn't use it much. The better glass seems to help for some reason.

Right now I'm between the FZ20, FZ10, Canon G5 or G6 (I can get the G3 or G5 used).

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    u have my curiosity aroused.. do u like taking picutres at twilight or do u just suffer from it all the time.. ???

just wondering..

trog100

Heavier lenses are harder to move, hence less camera shake. But if you get too heavy, you will shake due to the weight, so there is a happy medium between too heavy and too light.

That, of course, is in addition to the obvious ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed issues, and the fact that the above does not apply to P&S cams.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Sebastian....question

That, of course, is in addition to the obvious ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed issues, and the fact that the above does not apply to P&S cams.

Sebastion - thanks for the input........I don't know exactly "what" above doesn't apply?

The camera shake is minimal and doesn't happen with the G3 or any G camera and I think it's because of the 2.0 aperture - plus the heavier weight. And you can change the shutter/aperture/ISO on them. I've had the G2 and G3 and never had a problem.

Thanks for clarification.

Liz

Liz,

My point is that in a P&S you get no choice when it comes to lens selection, so the whole thing about heavier vs. lighter lenses doesn't apply because you are stuck using what is built in.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Liz,

My point is that in a P&S you get no choice when it comes to lens selection, so the whole thing about heavier vs. lighter lenses doesn't apply because you are stuck using what is built in.
    Gotcha ......... I've been on Prednisone for 5 days for a bad case of Bronchitis - today is the last day, thank goodness - I feel like I'm in outer space

Liz

Liz.. a small light wieght monopod would solve your problem.. it dont have to be fully extended just hold the collapsed monopod with one hand with the bottom pressed against your body and the camera body with the other hand.. it will take the up and down swivel movement away completely.. the camera can still swivel on its other axis but its the up and down one thats mostly the problem..

trog100

Liz

Yes, I do have a monopod - but hardly ever use it. It's a good idea, tho. I should get it out.

I appreciate all of your help.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    Liz.. a small light wieght monopod would solve your problem.. it dont have to be fully extended just hold the collapsed monopod with one hand with the bottom pressed against your body and the camera body with the other hand.. it will take the up and down swivel movement away completely.. the camera can still swivel on its other axis but its the up and down one thats mostly the problem..

trog100

Thread Information