Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Lens issues

Cool Lens issues

Being new and having scanned prior postings, I didn't see this issue but I apologize if it is a repeat. I use an A70 with various lenses. When shooting with the WA lens 38mm towards direct and some indirect sun, these dots appear either one or three in a row but not when used during regular shots ie: with the sun. I noticed that it occurred without any additional lenses yesterday as well. I have shot in Tv, Av, P, as well as Landscape etc. When using the tele with a filter It wasn't there and I had assumed it was a filter issue but need some expert advice! TY!

Re: Lens issues

Welcome - it's not a camera or exposure mode problem though. It's actually called "ghosting" and will happen with any lens when you point it towards a bright light source. What happens is that light bounces off the lens elements and produces those white (sometimes colored) spots. Zoom lenses have more elements to them, and more glass for the light to bounce off of = more ghosting. Filters can add a lot to the problem, so it's best not to use them.

I'm not sure about this, but you may have problems with the camera's sensor if you point it towards the sun a lot. Compact digitals don't have a mirror to block the sensor until the shutter fires, so it's always seeing the sun when pointed at it.

Re: Lens issues

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Welcome - it's not a camera or exposure mode problem though. It's actually called "ghosting" and will happen with any lens when you point it towards a bright light source. What happens is that light bounces off the lens elements and produces those white (sometimes colored) spots. Zoom lenses have more elements to them, and more glass for the light to bounce off of = more ghosting. Filters can add a lot to the problem, so it's best not to use them.

I'm not sure about this, but you may have problems with the camera's sensor if you point it towards the sun a lot. Compact digitals don't have a mirror to block the sensor until the shutter fires, so it's always seeing the sun when pointed at it.

Thank you very much! I don't have the issue with my tele and yesterday was the only time I noticed it using the cam's lens "as is". I don't remember if I had it on partial zoom or not-I don't believe so. It does show up a great deal using the WA lens. I assume I should use it in bright light??

Wouldn't a filter of some sort help? I've never experienced this ghosting on my tele BUT tom is another day! lol Today was a bit cloudy and all was fine with the WA.

Any suggestion would be appreciated! John

Thread Information