Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Help~Did I get the wrong camera??

I am brand new to this forum so please bare with me. I just bought my daughter and her husband a OLYMPUS C-5500 SportZoom 5.1 Megapixel Digital Camera for Christmas. Actually I have it on order at Office Max. And let me get this straight about us, we know nothing about photography! We are just simple point and shoot kinda of people. As a matter of fact, I own a Sony Mavica FD 92, the kind with the floppy, if that tells you anything. So here is my question.

I bought this particular camera for them because it was inexpensive. For $200 plus tax, I am getting the OLYMPUS C-5500 Camera, AND a Epson Stylus Cx4800 printer.

Now tell me.....for someone who knows nothing about camera's, is this camera not a good one for point and shoot kinda of people? Is it too difficult to operate?

I almost got the HP M407 that came with the dock and HP Photsmart 8050 printer, for the exact same price, but the guy at the store said the Olympus was a better deal. But I failed to tell him we don't know anything about taking pictures.

Should I not get this one and get something easier? Keep in mind, this $200 price range is all I'm wanting to spend. And having the printer is nice too.

Oh, one other question....do these camera's usually come with a memory stick or will I have to buy that seperate?

Help! Hurry! What should I do????

Thanks in advance!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help~Did I get the wrong camera??

Welcome to the forum P.A. I did a little research into the Olympus camera you mentioned. I think that this camera will be a fine choice for your daughter. It can be used in fully auto mode so all you have do to is push the button, or if you want to get more advanced, you can use it in manual mode. It has a longer zoom range than the HP that you mentioned also. Cameras in the price range you mentioned can be as easy or as confusing as the operator wants them to be. The Olympus camera has different shooting modes so depending on the situation, you just select the shooting mode that fits that situation, and the camera does the rest.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the forum P.A. I did a little research into the Olympus camera you mentioned. I think that this camera will be a fine choice for your daughter. It can be used in fully auto mode so all you have do to is push the button, or if you want to get more advanced, you can use it in manual mode. It has a longer zoom range than the HP that you mentioned also. Cameras in the price range you mentioned can be as easy or as confusing as the operator wants them to be. The Olympus camera has different shooting modes so depending on the situation, you just select the shooting mode that fits that situation, and the camera does the rest.
    Thank you Michael for your reply and your time to research, I appreciate it. I sure hope your right. Thanks again!

Anyone else with comments or suggestions??

Note that photographs won't look as good printed in any home printer than printed on a photo lab.

Welcome to the forum P.A.

What I do is E-Mail what I want ccopies of to Wal-Mart and have them print them. You can either choose a store to pick them up at or just have them mailed to the house. It is easy, the price is right, your pictures will be regular prints instead of off your printer and it saves time and ink.

http://www.walmart.com/photo-center?path=0%3A5426
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 11-28-2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added a welcome greeting
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Smile Re: Help~Did I get the wrong camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Welcome to the forum P.A.

What I do is E-Mail what I want ccopies of to Wal-Mart and have them print them. You can either choose a store to pick them up at or just have them mailed to the house. It is easy, the price is right, your pictures will be regular prints instead of off your printer and it saves time and ink.

http://www.walmart.com/photo-center?path=0%3A5426
    Thanks Grandpaw for the welcome and the reply. However my concern wasn't where I should get my pics printed, as a matter of fact, I do get them printed at Walmart.com just as you mentioned. My question was, did I get the wrong camera for someone who is a "point & shoot" kinda of person? In other words...is this camera (Olymbus C-550) too difficult to operate?

Thanks though!

Anyone else with comments or suggestions??

I did understand your question but I don't have any knowledge on the cameras to be able to help you out and give you an opinion. The only reason I told you about using Wal-Mart is to let you know how easy and cheap it was so you could consider spending the total amount on just the camera.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information