Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Serafin

Hello everyone!!

Im new here and have been reviewing compact cameras in the 400 to 450 price range and am now confused on what to get. I collect wrist watches and post them on a watch forum for disscussion on a daily basis. I have a Nikon coolpix right now. The camera does fine but im hoping there something better in its size range and I could go a little bigger. I want good Macro shots. And also a point and shoot for those weekend trips to the park, museum and familys house, etc. Then I can slip it in my pocket and be on my way.

Please let me know what you think of my choices so far. And please let me know if you think there is a better choice for me.

1. Canon Power Shot SD-800 IS. Seems to have good reviews. But cant find anything about the Macro.

2. Nikon Coolpix P3. Seems to have good reviews. But again cant find anything about the Macro.

3. Cyber Shot DSC-N2

If theres something out there thats a little bigger and has a really good Macro I would be willing to go a little bigger for good macro.

Thanks for your help!!

Serafin

Re: Hello everyone!!

Wow! Nobody has any opinions on any of these cameras?

Have you looked at any of the Fuji cameras? I have had three, a s5000,s7000 and currently an s9000. They all have good macro abilities, but they are too big to slip into your pocket.

We have a pro review for the Nikon P3. I played with it a bit when I was making the studio tests. I was impressed with the image quality - especially the white balance. I also liked the creative menu system. But I didn't really use it enough to have a definite opinion about it. Robert, who write the review, had mixed feelings about it.

Nikon Coolpix P3 Pro Review >>

We only have one user review for the Canon PowerShot SD800 IS right now and it's a negative one. It sounds like the reviewer just had some bad luck. We really need more reviews for that camera to know. But here's a link to that review:

Read and Write Canon SD800 IS Digital Camera Reviews >>

I don't know anything about the Sony and we don't have any reviews for it yet.

If macro ability is important to you, you want to look for the minimum focus distance in the camera specs. The smaller the distance, the closer it can get. I did a pro review for the Olympus Stylus 720 SW and was very impressed with it's macro abilities. It has two macro modes and I took some super close-ups with it. Here's a link to my review for that camera:

Olympus Stylus 720 SW Pro Review >>

Sorry you didn't get a response any sooner. Sometimes that's the way it goes with "what to buy" posts. Anyway, I hope my reply helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Serafin

Thanks for your responses. I figured everybody was probably sick of answering this question. Since I posted this ive been doing more research and am now leaning towards the Powershot A710 and A640. Kinda have decided to go a little bigger. And have asked a few questions about them in the Canon section.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafin
    Thanks for your responses. I figured everybody was probably sick of answering this question. Since I posted this ive been doing more research and am now leaning towards the Powershot A710 and A640. Kinda have decided to go a little bigger. And have asked a few questions about them in the Canon section.
    People do get tired of answering the "What camera to buy" question. But that's a portion of what this forum is for. So it needs to get done. I jump in periodically to make sure everyone if getting helped. That's how I found your post.

I'm glad your finding some direction. I'll take a look at your post on the Canon forum and see if I can offer any more help.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information