Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Does Walgreens Suck?

Hello,
    Most of my photo viewing is on my computer, so rarely do I print my pictures, only gifts or on request from others. Today I needed to print a couple of pics ASAP so I put an order of about 60 into walgreens. All of these were decent pictures that look wonderful on the computer screen, but they came out of walgreens looking like s***. (excuse me) :mad5: Have any of you ever had bad problems with walgreens or any other "one hour" type places? Thanks.

Re: Does Walgreens Suck?

The trouble I have had was I had them looking like I wanted and when you send or take them to one of these places the default in their computer is to enhance every picture. You need to tell them to turn that off before printing but still don't expect the best, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks for that. that may help.
    ----- M -----

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Never used Walgreens, but I have had to print a few last minute pics at Walmart. I hate doing that. They always seem to come out looking like crap. I really don't like the glossy finish either.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The best place I've found for fast local printing is Costco. Last time I was there you could still get matte finish and the price 30-50% less than anywhere else. Quality was FAR superior to Walgreen's and better than Wolf Camera too. Usually I'm not in that big a rush, so I just order online from Adorama.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I made a point of talking to the operators at our Costco and downloaded the printer profile for the lab off the www. Now I can get great prints without them turning on all the automatic corrections. They care about what they produce. They don't mind reprinting if it's not right, either. Great service.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

NIce, thanks for the comments. Besides Adorama what other websites do you all like for printing? I have heard talk of shutterfly and mpix. any good?
    ----- M -----

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Mpix is great! I use them for almost all of my prints. I have used shutterfly in the past as well, but their quality isn't anywhere near what mpix, or adorama will give you. White House Custom Color also does a great job.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm happy with mpix and adorama.....prefer mpix but those are the only two I've used except for walmart a couple of times for hurry ones.
    You can't get 23 hour service at mpix or anything that isn't local, of course.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I made a point of talking to the operators at our Costco and downloaded the printer profile for the lab off the www. Now I can get great prints without them turning on all the automatic corrections. They care about what they produce. They don't mind reprinting if it's not right, either. Great service.

You can also get profiles for specific Costco printers at www.drycreekphoto.com

Is there where you got your info, Paul?

Ta,

Cath

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Yes, same place. They re-profile the printers occasionally, I think annually ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information