Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Digital Camera..Narrowed Down To Two

I've decided to get a Digital camera to go along with my new Laptop for travel photography. My needs for the camera are to be: fast, rugged, manual control, and 4-5MP. I only have $700.00 so a decent DSLR is out of the question, I think.

As of now, I've decided on either the Sony Cybershot DSC-V1 or the Canon PowerShot G5.
    One thing that concerns me would be that I do a lot of low-light photography, and on reviews of both cameras I've noticed complaints of 'purple fringing' around lights at anything below f/4.5..is this common for most digital cameras?

As of right now I'm leaning towards the PowerShot G5 w/ lens adapter & 1.75x Teleconverter. I use a Canon film SLR at the moment, and maybe sticking with what I know (Canon) wouldn't be such a bad idea?

Thanks for any help.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pose
    One thing that concerns me would be that I do a lot of low-light photography, and on reviews of both cameras I've noticed complaints of 'purple fringing' around lights at anything below f/4.5..is this common for most digital cameras?

As of right now I'm leaning towards the PowerShot G5 w/ lens adapter & 1.75x Teleconverter. I use a Canon film SLR at the moment, and maybe sticking with what I know (Canon) wouldn't be such a bad idea?.
    Canon is an excellent choice, better than the SONY in my opinion.. If you can find a Canon G3, seriously consider it. You lose a MP (4 MP instead of 5MP) but get better results including much less purple fringing and less noise.

All of these small cameras will produce purple fringing. The Color Mechanic plug-in makes quick work of it, however.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

My experience

I used the G3 as my first digital camera......now I have it as a 2nd carry-around camera to my Rebel 300D. One of the features that the G3/G5 has is the 2.0 aperture vs 2.8 on the other digitals. This gives you extra light. The G5 is very similar to the G3 - except for some improvements such as 5mp, etc. I love the G3. The images are so sharp - even on "auto." I wouldn't use any other P&S due to the many features, especially the flexible LCD screen. HOWEVER, no digital P&S is "fast" and can't be compared to an SLR. After using an SLR, it seems like an eternity waiting to shoot the next pic.

That being said, is there any chance you can squeeze another $150 for the digital Rebel and $60 for a Canon 50mm/f1.8 lens (about $60 new). It's great in low light with the 1.8. Think about it! As great as the G5 is, there's no comparison to a DSLR. ;)

Liz

Liz

Talking Pose......check this out!

I just checked the Digital Rebel price on B&H website - down to $829! Check the link. You may not need a lens if you have any from your film SLR.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=297500&is=REG

If you're interested in a G3, www.NormanCamera.com has just a few new ones left from a big last shipment they got from Canon. Norman Camera is very reputable - in business for over 30 years, and enjoys a great reputation. I got my G3 from them. Price $479.

For $129 I would get the Rebel. I love this camera. No comparison!

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 06-01-2004 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add a ps

Wow, the Digital Rebel is that cheap? Well that's definitely going to be considered now. I already have three EF lenses to go along with it.

Thanks for the comments.

Edit- I just saw your second reply. Thank you very much for those links, you made my day!

Done Deal

If you have three EF lenses, I don't know how you can afford not to buy the Digital Rebel
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Indeed. The 300D it is. I should have it within the next month, that extra $150 difference over the G5 and the $110 for the grip (big hands) will take a little extra time for me. The one thing that kind of has me worried is I'm afraid the Rebel is too susceptible to cracks and such, with its plastic and light body. I spend a lot of time going the 'hard way' around things. Up trees, rocks, running from bus-to-bus..camping..it's a possibility it could get banged up quite a bit. I realize no matter what camera its not going to stand a 20' drop, or being dunked in the ocean..or rolling down a rock-face..but I'm sure the more expensive bodies are more prone to rough behavior?

Thanks.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    The one thing that kind of has me worried is I'm afraid the Rebel is too susceptible to cracks and such, with its plastic and light body. I spend a lot of time going the 'hard way' around things. Up trees, rocks, running from bus-to-bus..camping..it's a possibility it could get banged up quite a bit. I realize no matter what camera its not going to stand a 20' drop, or being dunked in the ocean..or rolling down a rock-face..but I'm sure the more expensive bodies are more prone to rough behavior?.
    Polycarbonate ("plastic") has been in use for decades in applications in and out of photography. It has been used for shatterproof windows, Lexan water bottles, eyeglass lenses. When exposed to repeated heavy blows, the polycarbonate tends to cold form rather than shatter (as in cracks). When dropped, polycarbonate "bounces" rather than dents. Polycarbonate protects the internals by absorbing shock, metal transmits shock. Big and heavy metal does not equate to being tougher.

I have used the much more vulnerable film Rebel 2000 in all sorts of rough outdoor conditions. I am also very clumsy and have many "accidents." The plastic Rebel has never had a problem.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thanks for that. I should have the money to order the body in two-five days .

Just for the record, the Sony V1 is a FAR better camera than the G5. I am on the verge of selling my G5 to finance the V1. Faster opration, better lens, better ISO range and much more intuitive to use. Only drawback is it has no RAW format, but I can live without it.

EDIT: Just my opinion. I have put about 300 pics through the G5 and the more I shoot with it the less I want to use it. I had a 717 before and the Sony was MUCH better thought out. Memorystick or not, I see a V1 in my future.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 06-02-2004 at 12:04 PM.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Thanks for that. I should have the money to order the body in two-five days .
    FYI- I got my D-Rebel (body only) at buydig.com for 778.00 including shipping. Best deal I could find!

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNDIGRBL
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Well, it turns out that I'm not getting a digital SLR. I'm sticking with my film SLR..Elan 7. I spent most of the money on my other hobby- music. Although, I did....order a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I ended up saving for the 10D + lens, but instead I spent the 10D money on my new synth.

I just wish I could get instant results with my Elan 7, instead of waiting and spending to get film developed .

Anyone have opinions on..
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo
    that? I think it'd benefit me to get a film scanner in the future, to cut down on developing costs.

Thanks!

Thread Information