Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Confusion, rambling a bit...

I am getting an extra lab class to teach this semester so there is a little extra money coming my way. Yeah, I could spend it on medical bills, paying the rent, eating but... well you know.

Here's the deal: I saw the first previews of the Canon G9 and thought this might be a pretty good camera in 6-8 weeks time. Having had the original G1, I like the look and feel of the G-series.

But here's the fly in the ointment. Way back in time, I used to be a pseudo-street photographer, way back when streets were first invented. I didn't take photos of the homeless as I truly feel that is exploitation. But I did get candid street scenes that would have been impossible if those involved noticed the camera. It was difficult but I did OK.

So... I was looking at the Canon S5. As I see it, the Canon S5 has the wonderful swivel LCD screen that most cameras have abandoned. I was thinking, with little good nature shots here in Eastern Maryland (for what I like at least), if I hung the S5 with the lens pointing forward and used the LCD screen pointing upwards towards me, street photography should be much easier. Right?

But, street stuff is not what I would do all the time. There are no S5 user reviews on this site but reviews on DP Review and the user report on Luminous Landscape indicate that it is not a bad camera. The pro review here was not so glowing. Obviously, the G9 is being hotly debated on other sites even though these users have never actually seen or touched one! Without a tech review, I can only compare it to a G7 which seems OK if not spectacular.

I really don't know what I am asking. My recently former girlfriend went for the G6 which she loves. Score one for the G. I like the look of the G9 much better than the S5. The S5 has that swivel LCD. Both have RAW mode. The.... Ack!

Any comments, insults, "what the h---?" proclamations, etc. would be appreciated.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: Confusion, rambling a bit...

LOL, Poor Micheal......

I'll just say "good Luck" and I hope you don't pull out too much hair trying to make this decision. I did have a couple laughs though reading this post

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Purchased

FWIW...

After chasing my tail around for a while, I purchased a new P&S camera. Not the Canon G9, not the Canon S5. I bought the substantially cheaper but still thumbs-up reviewed (DP Review) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8. Panasonic also made my electric razor, so I'm not as confident as I would have been with a Canon. But hey, life goes on. It does, doesn't it? Now I'll have to shop around for a 4G SDHC memory card.

Now I can get some sleep.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I like my S5. It's a perfect companion to my XT. Light, easy to carry, bright swivel screen, fairly quick startup and pretty short shutter lag, AA batteries, hot shoe, 8MP instead of 12.

Overall, not an XT but a neat little compact.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Are you talking about the S5 IS? If so, ask Liz about it. She just got one and she really seems to like it. She also tried out the G7 and returned it. Here is a link to a thread where she talks about it.

Letting go of my favorite lens
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well, we will see if skipping Canon and going over to Panasonic for the P&S side of things was good or bad. Amazon sent me the DHL shipping notice today so I'm hoping it gets delivered by Friday. It should, since Amazon ships most things from Pennsylvania for me.

I bought two 2G SD cards yesterday which should be enough. The review on DP Review was a about the same for both the Canon S5 (high end of "recommended") and Panasonic DNC-FZ8. (low end of "highly recommended").

When I get it, I'll post some test shots and then post a review in the Reviews section. Nothing is there yet. The excitement builds!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Are you talking about the S5 IS? If so, ask Liz about it. She just got one and she really seems to like it. She also tried out the G7 and returned it. Here is a link to a thread where she talks about it.

Letting go of my favorite lens
    Yes, I really really like the S5 - keeping in mind that my XTi is still my main camera. However, since I chose to get a p&s to replace my longer and heavier lenses, the S5 is perfect. I've gotten sharp images at 432mm - longest zoom. I'm amazed at that.

I returned the G7 not because of any actual problems. However, the IQ on the S5 for printing up to 8x10 is comparable to the G7, and the the S5 has many features that appeal to me including a flexible LCD screen and the longer zoom.

The best news is that I got the S5 at Costco because they have a 90 day return policy. It's good that I did because they reduced the price last week from $469 to $379. When I called today, they told me I could not get the $90 credit because I've had the camera more than 30 days. They said "no problem, just return it for your money back and order a new one."

In the meantime, I checked B&H and discovered they dropped their price today from $435 to $349!!!!!!!!

So I'm returning the camera to Costco and getting it for $150 less than what I paid at Costco (no tax at B&H unless you live in NY - and only $10 to ship). I usually get it overnight because I live in NJ. I'm not one for returning cameras, but for $150 less - I have no guilt. :thumbsup:

I was eyeing the G9 to see if it offers anything I wanted, but for $150 less, I wouldn't even consider the G7 or G9.

Liz

Price was one big issue for me. With the Canon S5 and Panasonic FZ8 nearly identical in the DP Review tech tests, the $253 price of the FZ8 was the determining factor.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Price was one big issue for me. With the Canon S5 and Panasonic FZ8 nearly identical in the DP Review tech tests, the $253 price of the FZ8 was the determining factor.
    Mike,

Good choice. I used to own the FZ3 and loved it. I sold it because I wanted IS (slight camera shake problem). However, I was very pleased with the results. Here are 2 examples of indoor no flash - the light you see on the wall is a reflection from an open window across the room.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Mike,

Good choice. I used to own the FZ3 and loved it. I sold it because I wanted IS (slight camera shake problem). However, I was very pleased with the results. Here are 2 examples of indoor no flash - the light you see on the wall is a reflection from an open window across the room.

Liz
    ]

I like the pics of the little guy. Sorta looks like my Gray Guy.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    I like the pics of the little guy. Sorta looks like my Gray Guy.
    Well........the little guy is the same as the big guy.....but she is a gal (Molly). Actually she isn't big....she is on the thin side (11 lbs). The angle made her look bigger - and of course the way she is positioned. She is a beautiful kitty.

Thanks.....

Liz

Well Liz,

Gray Guy isn't much bigger at 13 pounds. And Bright Eyes is 9 pounds. She is Queen Nefertiti, and she gives new meaning to the words "Black Cat". And Gray Guy is actually "Lucky".

Thread Information