Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Budding Beginner

Complete NEWB needs advice on first camera

Hello all. This is my first adventure into the world of photography, and I need a little advice. After borrowing a friends digital camera several times for some eBay auctions, and recently realizing the need for a good camera to capture some memories with friends, family, and my lovely girlfriend, I have decided to get my own digital camera.

I have no experience with photography other than snapping a few shots during the holidays with a cheap $100 compact or one of those (yes it's true) disposable jobs.

After doing some research, I have decided I want the best digita quaility I can get in a nice feature rich camera for around $500 (give or take). I have taken quite an interest in the Fuji S7000, because of this. Yet I have some questions...

Do you think this would be a suitable camera, and would the quality be sufficient for printing 8x10 photos from a photo printer? Would the 6x optical zoom be sufficent for average snap shots? And could I manually adjust the focus? Also, would I later be able to add an add-on flash?

Can anyone suggest any other slr-style cameras that might be better in this price range? Also, does anyone have any experience with electricsam.com? They seem to be rated very high and seem to have good prices.

Sorry if I'm asking idiotic questions, but I need some guidance. Thanks.

Fujis700, Vs Canon Canon Powershot S50

I'll tell ya, I am kinda in the same boat....just a year ahead (and thus really looking at DSLR's)

I read a cople tech reviews on the fuji and bang for the buck it looks like a gret deal for features. The one rendundant theme that I got was that some people questioned whether it was a true 6 megapixel camera.

That being said I am partial to Canon for one major reason....THE LENSE...Canon has a rep for making top of the line lenses and when it all boils down to it....no amount of optical zoom, or photoshop will fix what the lense cant see.

I have a 4 megapixel Canon powershot G2 and I love it the pictures are great, and it has no problem printing to borderless 8x10 with almost a professional quality (also have Epson stylus 960 photo printer and that helps) but it only has 3x optical zoom which is why I am looking at DSLR's. but in your price range I would take a look at the Canon Powershot s50. It;s 5 Megapixel and its on the web for under 400!!!

Let us know
    Peace,

Peplogic

I was in sort of the same boat... except I had a quality 35mm camera.... but it got expensive taking shots! Anyways, I went with the Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, and I havent looked back.... I love it. 10X optical, 4MP, and debatably one of the lenses on the maket.

These were not touched up in PS, all color effects were done in the camera... nothing special, just a nice clear shot....

first on is full size.... second was reduced so I could post it on webforums for my friend...
    http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...3/PICT0053.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...X-Mazda3/7.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0018.JPG
    http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0021.JPG

Thread Information