Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Need advice on camera for professional concert photogaphy

Hi! My name is Jewels; and I'm a photojournalist for an online magazine. When attending shows, we're given the ability to go between the barricade and photograph the performers. However, at many venues, it's often a rule that you don't use flash. And, we all know how many musicians don't like sitting in one spot during the entire show (especially punk rockers who can be all over the stage) Can anyone recommend to me a camera that's suitable for these conditions? I've been told that I need to get a camera with a higher shutter speed but I trust you guys will have some helpful suggestions. I've been looking at several slr cameras. Since the digital slr's are pretty expensive, I'd like to stick to film.

Also, with concert photography, is it better to use 400/800 speed film? Would it even matter?

LMK. I will be visiting these forums often to pick up more valuable lessons ;)

What I've read..it's best to use an even higher speed film than 800, beware of grain, though.

Also, have an idea of your budget, for the SLR?

The most important thing will be your lens, the faster the better. And by faster I mean aperture, the smaller the f-stop number (f/2.8 for exmample) the more light the lens lets in.

This coupled with fast film (1600 most likely) and you should be OK. Ignore the shutter speed comments you received, yes higher shutter speeds will be necesary to stop the motion, but 1/250 should suffice. High shutter speeds are a/2000 and above...and there is no way you'll get those in a dimly lit arena.

My all-around suggestion would be a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom and a fast prime in the 50-85mm range. 50mm f/1.8s and 85mm f/1.8s are not too expensive, and they'll let in more light than the zoom, but the zoom will be much more flexible. They do make the 50mm and 85mm in 1.4 and 1.2 varieties, but the price is not worth the extra tiny little bit of light.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

The exposure will depend on the amount of light, like always. The thing is, bigger national acts will have a brighter stage than a small band (usually). On a big stage, with 800 speed film at f2.8, you will probably get a shutter speed between 1/125-1/250, which should be fine in most cases, but maybe not punk!

Hand holding a 80-200 2.8 will take practice (mine weighs over 3lbs) but it can be done. If you had an 85 1.8 you'd get a shutter speed of 1/250-1/500 at f2, same situation as above. This will be very easy to handhold for sharp pictures. And keep in mind that this is probably as good of a light level as you'll come up against, alot of stages won't be this bright so that extra stop will be very handy.

Flash may be allowed but will be distracting for the band. It probably won't give you the "look" you're looking for either.

Mamiya Man
    On the subject of using faster films you should read the reviews for film. Alot of the consumer film at a walmart/walgreens will not be of the same quality as a better pro film if this is a paid job. Also some films are noted for more exposure latitude, contrast and grain than others. I like to use fuji press just because I like the results I get and it has pretty good latitude plus it's readily available from my local photo shop, for anything special I use an online dealer. Hope my 2cents helped

Magoo

thanks! I'm trying to stay under 700 dollars for a camera, can anyone make any recommendations for one whose beginning to learn? i've read from many of your posts that you recommend canon and nikon for quality and product lines, any particular models you could suggest for my area of concentration?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    a mid range SLR(elan7/n80) a 50f1.8 and a tokina 28-70 will be in the $700 range, but a 80-200 range would be best(read$$$ for f2.8)

also an elan 7 w/ 28-135IS and fast(fuji press1600/ilford delta 3200 B/W) film will be a good start, but you will need some bright lights(stage lighting isn't like the sun)

my only experience with indoor bands was in a bar with a few lights(read hardly any)....

80-200@2.8 1/45th at best

buy your film online in PRO PACK once you decide you like press 1600, press 800, superia 800/1600, or kodak's films
    Last edited by paulnj; 03-13-2004 at 06:25 AM. Reason: jepers! i made a boo boo
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information