Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon SD700 R.I.P.

I took my SD700 to a beer festival (need I say more?) Ok, I dropped it and broke it! Very dissapointed and even with the extended warranty from Best Buy they didnt take it back. "Accidental Damage" not covered.

I have been saying to myself screw it, wait a few months then get something else, but I have a nephew being born in about a month and I kind of want to have a camera for that.

Any recommendations? Guy at Best Buy says my best bet is to go with the latest model 8.1mp of the same camera (since I will have the backup battery,memory card and charger already). I am open to suggestions. Anything under $500. The SD700 was a nice camera, but maybe there is something better in that price range?

Thanks

Re: Canon SD700 R.I.P.

If you were happy with your SD700 his advice was good ... or see if you can find a used SD700 on ebay / keh / b&h used dept.

looks like brand new on ebay for 270ish
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

I agree with Ben. The Best Buy guy's advice is solid. If you liked that camera, getting the next one is a fine idea. I believe the current model, announced at PMA this year, is the SD850 IS.

On the other hand, this is also an opportunity to consider something else. The memory card will work with most digital cameras, except those made by Olympus, Sony, and Fuji. It's worth a look around to see if there's something else thhat might work better for you. Was there anything that the SD700 IS wasn't doing well for you? Are you interested in a camera that offers more manual control?

And I can't help but mentioning, it. If you're going to be doing a lot of drinking with your camera, maybe you should look into the Olympus Stylus 770 SW. It's waterproof to 30 feet deep, and you can drop it five feet onto concrete. It may be the perfect drinking camera
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ha good one. Actually thats the last time I plan on getting loaded and carrying a camera around in my pocket. My last camera was a Stylus 4.0, and although good and durable, the Canon is far superior in picture quality. As far as wanting more manual controls, I really have no idea? The SD700 was the nicest camera I have ever owned, so maybe I don't know what I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshD
    I took my SD700 to a beer festival (need I say more?) Ok, I dropped it and broke it! Very dissapointed and even with the extended warranty from Best Buy they didnt take it back. "Accidental Damage" not covered.

I have been saying to myself screw it, wait a few months then get something else, but I have a nephew being born in about a month and I kind of want to have a camera for that.

Any recommendations? Guy at Best Buy says my best bet is to go with the latest model 8.1mp of the same camera (since I will have the backup battery,memory card and charger already). I am open to suggestions. Anything under $500. The SD700 was a nice camera, but maybe there is something better in that price range?

Thanks
    I'd suggest spending the $$ and buying actual camera insurance, that way if you drop the next one in a cup of beer your covered.....
    Sheesh, I can't count the number of drunks I have seen the past three weeks at Indy....or the number of them who broke cameras. I'm glad I quit drinking.... 14 years without a drink!

JS

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Update

Went back to Best Buy yesterday and luckily the same guy was there that sold me the camera almost a year ago. He gave me $75 off an SD800 and pro-rated my service plan so I got their new insurance plan that DOES cover accidental damage (covers everything except camera loss) for $20/ 4 years. Pretty much got hooked up. AND I got a good Lowe case as well

Thread Information