Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Night Photography

Hello, id like to know before i get a new Canon EOS 30D with a speedlite 580EX if it'll suit the night photography like in a wedding,night,party,pub,restos..... and so,we're moving people and dark environment are kings.the reason i ask is that i see lots of nikonians out there (guys using nikons) and id like to use Canon's more as i have more experience with those cameras from before.
    So please if there is any reason out there making the nikon better than the canon for night photography,let me know,ill appreciate it a lot
    Bassam KHATTAR
    [Rules are made to be BROKEN]

Re: Night Photography

I use a Canon 5D and some fast primes to get very good shots in poor lighting without a flash. You will find that the noise of of the Canon CMOS sensor about as good as it gets at present, that is, that it’s low than that out of the Nikons. I haven’t try the 30D. I would expect similar performance to that of the 5D.

thx Frans for having the time to reply my thread,i appreciate it.Im sure the EOS 30D is a good camera for any purpose (almost) so i needed to hear it from a professional point of view ... thx again
    Bassam KHATTAR
    [Rules are made to be BROKEN]

Basco,

I have just bought the 5D over the 30D purely because of the noise at high ISO. However you are spending a lot more money for the 5D. I also went for the 24-70 F2.8L to help with low light.

I like doing night photography and will be testing it out once I get time and the weather in the UK improves lots or rain and gales at the moment.

The 5D with my 430EX is excellent combination so the 580 will be mind blowing.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Hello... just an answer and explaination of some settings that may help you out...

Your 30D and 580EX will certainly do a fine job shooting in low light situations. You should have no problems there...

Now as far as settings some basic flash knowledge to help you out.... if you run the camera in P-Mode it will assume that flash is going to be the primary source of light... this will allow for much brighter pictures (normally) but will also run your batteries down significantly faster. Running the camera on Tv, Av, or M will tell the flash that its a "Fill flash" and it will not nearly be as bright... it may require some adjustments to the flash compensation and cause darkened areas until you have it set properly.

Just some food for thought... good luck with the shooting!
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Thread Information