Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera with Liquid Damage

Hi, I got a Canon SD600 off of somebody who said he dropped it in Pepsi. After I got home I (mistakenly) tried to turn it on, but nothing happened.

I realized it was a bad idea after I started researching on ways to fix this. I opened the camera but I don't see any signs of water or any liquid, let alone soda. Here is a picture:

I'm afraid of trying to turn it on again and causing further damage, if I haven't already. Is there anything that looks wrong from this picture? Anything else it could possibly be?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Camera with Liquid Damage

It's out of focus, and I can't see anything obvious.
    Doesn't look like it was in pepsi for long, as it's quite acidic, I'd expect obvious erosion damage on the circuits.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks. Sorry for the poor quality, extremely large picture. I tried to get a better one but was having problems. I'll try to get a better one a little later today.

If it isn't liquid damage, from the picture does it look like it could be anything else? I noticed the ribbon cable is loose, but I think that's for the LCD. Also, even if I tighten that cable I'm afraid of trying to turn it on again.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It's a brick now, putting that cable back and trying again probably won't make it more of a brick.
    Depends if the damage is already done.

The lens looks off-centre and there seems to be a mark by the M in ZOOM.
    If it's been dropped and the lens is jammed, then it may not work, even if you can turn it on.
    Depends if that really is a mark, or a shadow of something.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks. I guess it's a lost cause.

I was wondering, is there anywhere I could find a service manual, or instructions, on how to remove the battery/door cover?

Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information