Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    I've used the E-PL1 in the sun many times and didn't have much of a problem seeing the images on the LCD screen although I've had to shade it with my hand from time to time - or move a bit into the shade.

    I had a different expeience on Sunday. I was in NYC for Fleetweek on the deck of the Intrepid - and I don't know whether it was the bright (summer) noon-day sun, the water and/or reflections, the fact there was no shade, or whatever - but I could not see the images on the LCD screen much at all. I had to guess what I was framing and was a bit frustrated - and very surprised since my prior experience was a lot better.

    So, I got home and ordered the VF-2. I had been on the fence about it for a while, but I didn't want to go through that experience again.

    It just arrived! I'll update everyone when I take it out over the weekend.

    Liz

  2. #2
    Captain of the Ship Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    15,422

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Good move, Liz. It just stays on the camera all the time for me. While I'm sure it makes a big difference in the sun, the bigger reason is it adds a third point of contact when I'm taking pictures and that means steadier photos. It makes a huge difference for video and has made the E-PL1 my current camera of choice for video.
    Photo-John

    Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

  3. #3
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good move, Liz. It just stays on the camera all the time for me. While I'm sure it makes a big difference in the sun, the bigger reason is it adds a third point of contact when I'm taking pictures and that means steadier photos. It makes a huge difference for video and has made the E-PL1 my current camera of choice for video.
    That's encouraging news! I also did not realize that you could leave the LCD off (saving battery) and see the information from the VF. I think you can also view different angles. This is getting better and better! I do believe I made the right decision!

    Liz

  4. #4
    Active Amateur havana_joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, MA
    Posts
    182

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Oooh, please do post more information once you've used it a bit more, I'm considering buying it as well.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

    Olympus E-PL1

    Feel free to edit my photos!

  5. #5
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Oooh, please do post more information once you've used it a bit more, I'm considering buying it as well.
    I took the E-PL1 out with the VF-2 attached. All I can say it that it is AMAZING! It is so bright, all the info is right there, and what a difference. I thought it would take some learning and/or or getting used to! However, it is very easy to use - just slip it on the camera and use it.

    I think this will be glued to my E-PL1 from now on. I absolutely love it and don't know how I did without it. I just used the LCD once and that was to check the same image on both. It was expensive, but well worth the money IMO.

    Liz

  6. #6
    Active Amateur havana_joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, MA
    Posts
    182

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I took the E-PL1 out with the VF-2 attached. All I can say it that it is AMAZING! It is so bright, all the info is right there, and what a difference. I thought it would take some learning and/or or getting used to! However, it is very easy to use - just slip it on the camera and use it.

    I think this will be glued to my E-PL1 from now on. I absolutely love it and don't know how I did without it. I just used the LCD once and that was to check the same image on both. It was expensive, but well worth the money IMO.

    Liz
    Sweet! I am saving my pennies for one. I'm hoping the price comes down a little, but either way I plan to get one in about a month or two...
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

    Olympus E-PL1

    Feel free to edit my photos!

  7. #7
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Sweet! I am saving my pennies for one. I'm hoping the price comes down a little, but either way I plan to get one in about a month or two...
    You will really like it. I was amazed with the light and clarity of this VF.

    I hope you get it soon, but it's worth waiting for. And maybe the price will come down - it probably will.

    Liz

  8. #8
    Active Amateur havana_joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, MA
    Posts
    182

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Liz, where did you order it from? I may have stumbled into some extra dollars and may just go ahead and get one. I looked at B&H, they are out of stock...
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

    Olympus E-PL1

    Feel free to edit my photos!

  9. #9
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Liz, where did you order it from? I may have stumbled into some extra dollars and may just go ahead and get one. I looked at B&H, they are out of stock...
    It looks like most places are out of stock - but you can keep trying. I would try every day or more than once a day at online reputable dealers.

    I purchased mine from opticaloceansales.com (ran into this website in error). They only had one - not sure they're getting more in. It was $269 (on sale).

    Precision-Camera (reputable dealer) ran out of stock - but should be getting them in soon - less expensive - $249

    http://www.precision-camera.com/main...iewfinder.html

    More reputable dealers that I've dealt with.

    J&R - no tax unless in NY
    http://www.jr.com/olympus/pe/OLM_VF2/

    Samys - nice dealer
    http://www.samys.com/index/page/prod...-2+%28Black%29

    Good luck!

    Liz

  10. #10
    Active Amateur havana_joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, MA
    Posts
    182

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Thanks Liz! You can always sell me mine if you want! ;-)
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

    Olympus E-PL1

    Feel free to edit my photos!

  11. #11
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Thanks Liz! You can always sell me mine if you want! ;-)
    Thanks for the offer, but no!

    I suggested you try often because when an item is this popular, it's good to keep watch. That's how I found mine......

    Liz

  12. #12
    Active Amateur havana_joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, MA
    Posts
    182

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Going to order this 12/10 when I get my next bonus. Prices have come down and it's in stock; should still be available then, right?
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

    Olympus E-PL1

    Feel free to edit my photos!

  13. #13
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Going to order this 12/10 when I get my next bonus. Prices have come down and it's in stock; should still be available then, right?
    Yes, I would think so - after all this time!

    You will love it! It is always on my camera and I prefer to use it 90% of the time. :thumbsup:

    Liz

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9

    Re: Purchased the VF-2 for E-PL1!

    Once your used to an EVF, it's too late. I just can't get used to holding a camera in front of me anymore. And It affects the next camera purchase.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest PhotographyREVIEW Articles



Latest Camera News