Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless - Preview

I've had the AW1 for a couple of weeks now. I've got a bunch of product shots of it and some photos I shot with it so I thought I should post a hands-on preview article:

Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless Camera Preview >>

I'm also working on some plans to send it out with a pro ski photographer and take it diving in the next week. No mercy for the AW1

Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless - Preview-img_3703_1200.jpg
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless - Preview

Thanks for the update.

I still think of my almost getting one every time you post about it but I'm very happy adding 70D, STM lens and shotgun mico to my Canon system.

Rev B or the evolution of this or its competition should be what I'd love.

I redeemed airline miles for an Olympus TG-2 in the meanwhile - a different animal than AW1 or my SLR but should be great for letting the kids take it and ease of carry.

Your dive report is something I look forward to - especially how it fares with snorkeling and no image stabilization.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Your dive report is something I look forward to - especially how it fares with snorkeling and no image stabilization.
    I think we're booked for a dive on Sunday. I'm not a diver but I'm going with a friend who is. I'll be taking the Olympus TG-1 so I can get pictures of the AW1 underwater. I think the diver will bring a GoPro, too. Should be interesting. We're going to a place called "The Crater." It's a non-active geyser hot springs in Midway, Utah. The bored a tunnel through the side and put a little dock in it because the walls are sheer from the opening at the top to the bottom of the springs, which I think is about 60 feet down. I swam there once before, about 8 years ago. It's a funky place and should be great for photos and video
    Photo-John

Nikon AW1 Duve Test Completed!

We took the camera out to "The Crater" on Sunday and took the AW1 down to 20 feet below the surface and it survived. I wrote a short article with a bunch of photos of the camera in action along with a video of underwater footage shot with the AW1:

Nikon 1 AW1 Underwater Dive Test Video >>

Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless - Preview-gopr0056-4_1200.jpg

I've always been impressed with the performance of the Nikon 1 cameras. I was never really comfortable with the image quality compromise, though. With the added underwater capabilities in the AW1, though, I think they've really got a winner on their hands.
    Photo-John

I am also using nikon camera and its quality is awesome .

e're going to a place called "The Crater." It's a non-active geyser hot springs in Midway, Utah. The bored a tunnel through the side and put a little dock

Ah yes, the crater. It is 64 feet deep. I go there to get sharpened up on dive skills before major trips. I''m amazed they have a camera the quality of a Nikon that can go down 20 feet without a housing. Housings can cost thousands - of course they can go down far deeper but still, very impressive!

Cuase Nikon 1 seems to be great, where can i get it?

I got mine from a discount store. It seems like it's getting near end-of-life and there are some bargains around. I shall write a review of it in the Nikon forum
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

ok i agree with you

I don't think so that it is a Bad Idea.........

And I don't want to leave the other players out. Here are links to some Samsung and Sony EVIL camera action:

So far as I know it's the best camera that is waterproof (and sandproof) right out of the box. It's smaller than a DSLR but bigger than say a compact beach camera. Nikon has nor come out with a ton of aw lenses for it, but it would shoot with the other Nikon 1 lenses.

Two other ways to go also exist, and ultimately most people choose them over the AW1. First is getting a compact weatherproof camera such as the Olympus TG-4, my favorite among them. It's cheaper, smaller, and has good quality.

The other route is to weatherproof a camera, such as by putting a diving case around a DSLR. The advantage is better quality, but the customized cases are pricey. Plus it will be big, heavy, and bulky. Even if you get a used camera, it will likely be more expensive than the AW1.

In the end, the AW1 is either the best of both worlds (good quality and not the most expensive option) or the worst (not small, cheap, or professional quality). For most people, the appeal of a compact beach camera wins out, and for those who want the best go with a higher quality camera and a dive case.

Hope that was helpful. One quick note is that the lenses are hard to get on and off on the AW1, and I'd like it a lot more if there was a viewfinder. Personally, I would much rather a TG-4, but it also depends on how exactly you plan on using it.

At SecurityX, we provide multiple layers of defense that consistently outperforms conventional endpoint security, as proven in independent tests. We are here to minimize your management overhead while giving you ubiquitous visibility and control. So now you can secure your system with exceptional Endpoint security services that causes no harm and simply a call away.

A laptop for video editing is a combination of powerful components like generous storage, large amounts of RAM, discrete graphics card, powerful CPU, and high-resolution displays, with thin and light design to carry around the laptop easily.
    video editing laptop under 1000

Thread Information