Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Pretec 12GB CompactFlash Card - Press Release

6GB CompactFlash card pricing reduced,
    12GB CF card announced by Pretec

Hannover, Germany, March 18, 2004 – Pretec Electronics Corp. (Hall 19 Booth B06), the 2nd company in the world offering CompactFlash memory card (CF) card since 1995, dropped its pricing for 6GB CF memory card, the largest capacity flash memory card in the world of any small form factors which Pretec demonstrated and started shipping since September 2003, from $7499 to $3499.

Pretec also announced 12GB CF card today at CeBIT 2004, 300% larger capacity than any of it’s closest competitors in the world, priced at $9999, to be delivered by 2nd half of 2004.

Pretec has been consistently demonstrated the highest capacity CF card in the world from 64MB (10/1998, New York, Microsoft Jupiter Launch), 80MB (1/1999, Las Vegas, CES), 128MB (3/1999, Hannover, CeBIT), 160MB (6/1999, Denver, Microsoft WinCE Dev. Conference), 320MB (4/2000, New York, Microsoft PocketPC Launch, partner with Casio), 640MB (5/2001, Partner with Kodak Professional and Ricoh), 1.5GB/2GB/3GB (11/2002, Las Vegas, Comdex), and 6GB (3/2003, Hannover, CeBIT). In addition to the excellent track record of Pretec’s relentless pursuit of innovation towards higher capacity, Pretec has also established the reliability reputation by becoming the only CF card supplier in the
    world which can provide industrial and military grade ruggedized CF cards constructed with precision mechanics, full metal protection, sustain a wide range working temperature and offer ultimate level of data protection and security features to prevent user’s image files, software, crucial data and products from being damaged.

A true pioneer to expand the applications of small form factor cards, Pretec created I/O card in CF form factor in 1997 (Demonstrated at CFA annual meeting, Santa Cruz, CA), the first such device in history, which ushers the era of endless possibility to expand and to extend for IA devices such as PDA, digital camera/camcorder, MP3 player, set-top-box, thin client terminal, etc. The most comprehensive wireless communication CF cards in the world, including GPS, Bluetooth, 802.11b, GPRS, cordless modem are being exhibited at Pretec CeBIT booth, among many other Multimedia CF card and Memory card.

For more information, please visit, http://www.pretec.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I've got one on order.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I've got one on order.
    Do you really?
    Photo-John

Are you kidding or are you serious?? How many pics could you fit on something like that... Man... lemme think.. 3.5mb per 8 mega pixel jpg, hmm, carry the one.. damn... get the calculator... here we go ... that's like over 3000 pictures!!!... I'm only at 128mb right now 60-70 photos...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I've got one on order.
    I'm tempted. I can easily fill these in a day:
    1GB microdrive
    340MB microdrive
    1GB flash
    2x256M flash

Because I shoot in RAW mode at 11MB per picture.
    That's just with the Minolta A2 at 8MP.
    I expect to use about the same with DSLR, or maybe more because it would take more in burst mode.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Buy a bloody image tank with an 80G drive in it for much less than that, just transfer the images over to the image tank. You would have to have more money than sense to purchase a 12G card for what $10,000US, that is the price of a small car for heavens sake.

An image tank is what $300US, compare them, makes sense to me, I purchase an image tank and put a 4 G drive in it just for this problem, can get around 1500 images on them from my 10D.

No way!

An Image Tank wouldn't be nearly as cool as being the first kid on the block with the 12 Gig card. I'm buying five with a credit card
    Photo-John

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Not your own I assume

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    An Image Tank wouldn't be nearly as cool as being the first kid on the block with the 12 Gig card. I'm buying five with a credit card
    You've got access to the company card have you?

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Thread Information