Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P200 - Press Release

SONY'S BEST-SELLING CYBER-SHOT P SERIES CELEBRATES FIVE GREAT YEARS WITH INTRODUCTION OF 7.2-MEGAPIXEL DSC-P200

LAS VEGAS, (CES, Booth #N109), Jan. 5, 2005 - Get ready to fall in love all over again. Five years after the Cyber-shot® Series first hit the market, the new DSC-P200 is expected to capture the hearts of consumers with unsurpassed grace, speed and style. Loaded with 7.2 megapixels, this compact point-and-shoot digital camera puts spectacular photos in the palm of your hand.

More compact than its predecessor model, the P200 camera slips comfortably into a shirt pocket or handbag. The camera's slimmed down design makes it even more convenient for users to snap breathtaking photos anytime, anywhere. It will be available next month for less than $400.

"Since the Cyber-shot P Series was introduced, it has been one of our best selling camera families," said Hiroshi Takahashi, vice president for digital imaging products at Sony Electronics. "The P200 will take this to greater heights with its advanced features, lower pricing, and more compact design."

Blazingly Fast

The new P200 model is powered by Sony's own Real Imaging Processor™ circuitry, which delivers extremely fast start-up and shot-to-shot times, and puts extra speed and muscle behind automatic features like auto focus and auto exposure. You'll never have to worry about missing a shot because the camera is always at the ready.

The new model features a Carl Zeiss® Vario Tessar® 3X optical zoom lens and a generous 2-inch LCD screen, making it easy for friends and family to gather round and enjoy images the moment they are captured.

Small Package, Big Benefits

The camera is packed with features and benefits typically found on more full-sized cameras. At just one inch thin, it takes vibrant digital photos, capturing color and detail not commonly found in such a compact camera.

With nine pre-set scene modes - such as twilight, landscape, snow, beach and fireworks - you can quickly select the best setting based on appropriate shooting conditions. The P200 also has battery power to spare. With approximately 310 shots per charge of the InfoLithium™ battery, the camera lets you snap away without fear of running down the charge.

Great photos are just part of the picture. The camera also captures and plays back high resolution moving images. The MPEG-VX Fine mode allows you to record MPEG video with 640x480 pixel resolution at 30 frames per second.

The new camera can also be used with Sony's Cyber-shot Station CSS-PHA camera accessory, available now for about $80, for playing back slideshows on a TV or transferring images to a PC while charging the camera's batteries. The bundled infrared remote controller intelligently commands the docked camera via the Cyber-shot Station to toggle between captured videos and still pictures.

And when connected to a PictBridge™ -compatible printer such as Sony's PictureStation® DPP-FP30 digital photo printer, printing a specific image is as easy as a press of the remote controller's button.

The Cyber-shot P200 camera includes a 32MB Memory Stick® media card. It is also compatible with Memory Stick PRO® high-capacity media cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P200 - Press Release

Hey JOHN...

Heard any reviews either way on this bad boy? Er, at least the P150... ?

I am looking for a roughly $400 digi, and light and portable. Right now I have the T1. But, I figured the P200 would be a lot more camera for the buck.

Anyone else know?

And, the P200 is coming in black, right? (PLEASE!)

I've heard good things about the P150. I'm not clear on what the actual differences between the P200 and the P150 are. But one of the benefits of the P-Series, besides the size, is the speed. They're pretty fast compared to other cameras. I found some image samples from the P200 and they looked great, too. I don't know how it would compare to the T1. Resolution isn't everything, but I think that the 7 megapixel sensor, which is also in the Canon G6, is one of the best things to hit compact digital cameras in a long time. The image quality is excellent. I hate saying this, but I think it's comparable to the 6 megapixel sensor in the Canon Digital Rebel and 10D.

I'll see if I can drum up some reviews for the P200 now.

Hope that helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yes please! Let me know what you find out, even if minute.

I believe it is practically the same thing as the 150, but with a redesigned shell and larger screen. Tis about it. I believe...

I really want a small, quick, high res photo capable camera. But, also would like to be able to adjust ISO, aperture and speed if possible.

Thread Information