Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

I've always had a great experience at Abe's of Maine...

I can recommend Keh. I have purchased a lens and extension tubes for my RZ67 plus two lenses for my OM4. All arrived well packed and condition ratings were conservative. International shipping options are not cheap but are fully trackable via the UPS or Fedex sites.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

I just bought a LN- Olympus E-3 from KEH. Their estimation of the camera body was conservative to say the least. When the body arrived, the first thing I did was check the shutter activation count. The shutter has been tripped a grand total of 210 times. This equates to a new body after the in-factory testing. I was blown away; especially when you consider I paid 655.00 for the camera. The camera was packed extremely well, the shipment time was exactly as promised, I've got nothing but praise for KEH. They definitely have earned another customer.

Mark

Tri-State Camera - AVOID. As a jesture of my wife's support to my photography passion, she purchased a Nikon 17-55 f2.8 lense from them as a Christmas present. I received the lense and a cheap set of filters the salsmen pursuaded my wife to buy. It has a "US" serial number but did not come with any registration/warrenty cards. After many attempts with their Customer Service they assured me it was a "US" lens and they would mail the cards. I even have an email stating this. Two weeks have gone by and nothing from them. We called and it's like we're starting over again only now the credit card is paid. They always say they need to call us back and NEVER do. I've also yet to see a credit posted to my credit card for the returned junk filters. Please - Please do not do business with this company. I have shopped with B & H for at least 20 years and have never been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by gaphiker
    Tri-State Camera - AVOID. As a jesture of my wife's support to my photography passion, she purchased a Nikon 17-55 f2.8 lense from them as a Christmas present. I received the lense and a cheap set of filters the salsmen pursuaded my wife to buy. It has a "US" serial number but did not come with any registration/warrenty cards. After many attempts with their Customer Service they assured me it was a "US" lens and they would mail the cards. I even have an email stating this. Two weeks have gone by and nothing from them. We called and it's like we're starting over again only now the credit card is paid. They always say they need to call us back and NEVER do. I've also yet to see a credit posted to my credit card for the returned junk filters. Please - Please do not do business with this company. I have shopped with B & H for at least 20 years and have never been disappointed.
    Welcome to Photography Review!! I would just like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Tri-State Camera. Before you order anything else you may want to check out the link at the bottom of my reply. You will find that I already have B&H Camera on the recommended list and Tri-State on the list of sites to avoid. Thanks again for taking the time to post and help others. I hope you stick around and become an active member here, you will find many helpful and knowledgeable people on this site, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I don't have Amazon on the recommended list due to the fact a lot of the time when an order is placed it goes though a third party that is on the list of sites to avoid and not actually through Amazon itself. If you place an order with Amazon and forget to see who your order is though you can experience a bad sale just the same.

I have had good purchases when the total sale is actually though Amazon itself, Jeff

I agree with you and have had the same experience. However, since Amazon itself is really excellent (especially if something arrives damaged or you are not satisfied- their return/replacement service is hassle free), why not list Amazon on the recommended list with the statement that it applies to Amazon itself and not to affiliates or third parties which will be listed separately under their own names. Just a thought, since Amazon itself really does deserve the positive rating.

Hawk, the reason I have not placed Amazon on the list I recommend is that many that view the list will just go down to their name and read no further. If they take the time to read what I have written in my thread above the lists, they will find out just as you did, what I think about using Amazon to order from. If they didn't take the time to read what I wrote more than likely when they see Amazon on the recommended list they will read no further. I feel that if they are really interested, all the information they need about Amazon is there.

I welcome any and all comments and suggestions you or anyone else has to offer but in this case I like addressing this in a section all by itself where there will be less assumptions and the information is more specific to Amazon. Hope my reasons make sense, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I purchased a camera from Need4Digital.com before reading these posts. I called them to see if the camera had been shipped yet and they proceeded to "verify" my order. That's when they tried to sell me the battery and I declined. After hanging up, I thought that was a little fishy. I discovered that they were trying to sell me the battery that actually came with the camera. I called within their 24 hour verification window to cancel the order. I expected a major battle with the "customer service" people, but they did cancel the order without question. If they charge my card I'll be back to let you know.

I am going to buy the camera at a local camera store here in town. That makes me happy!

Thumbs down Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437
    My mom is looking at buying a camera on ebay and I was just wondering if I could trust the "sellers rating" at all? Im a little leery after reading about all the scammers. here is a link to their "store" http://stores.ebay.com/bigeasycameras
    They sell a lot of "bundles"-are those as great of a deal as the first appear?

I actually just purchased from them well SORT OF... When I went to pay for my item it never took me anywhere to pay. Seller doesn't accept paypal only Credit card which is fine BUT they want you to go outside of Ebay to pay them... I contacted ebay which let me tell you was a dumb idea because they wanted me to contact the seller again (time number 3) to tell them that they need to use a third party checkout to have their customers to pay them. I was purchasing A new Nikon camera package (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28947046#payId) which was an AWESOME deal but I still haven't been able to pay this person and E-bay is being no help... I mean maybe this one is the only one having problems with the checkout process but I am NOT pleased.... When you try calling the supplied number for the seller you just get an answering machine even during their "office hours" I believe it is a store in NYC and I am about to drive down there!:mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by connorwmommy
    I actually just purchased from them well SORT OF... When I went to pay for my item it never took me anywhere to pay. Seller doesn't accept paypal only Credit card which is fine BUT they want you to go outside of Ebay to pay them... I contacted ebay which let me tell you was a dumb idea because they wanted me to contact the seller again (time number 3) to tell them that they need to use a third party checkout to have their customers to pay them. I was purchasing A new Nikon camera package (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...28947046#payId) which was an AWESOME deal but I still haven't been able to pay this person and E-bay is being no help... I mean maybe this one is the only one having problems with the checkout process but I am NOT pleased.... When you try calling the supplied number for the seller you just get an answering machine even during their "office hours" I believe it is a store in NYC and I am about to drive down there!:mad2:
    Welcome to Photography Review! Please keep us informed on your situation, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1982B
    I was wondering if this was a good site to buy cheap cameras. I need an SLR camera and I was wondering if anyone could find me a decent camera for a beginner on the site to help me out a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the site I'm speaking of, below. Has anyone been there before?
    http://www.cheapforme.com
    I'd always recommend checking the feedback at http://www.resellerratings.com/search/cheapforme.com before shopping at a site that isn't known to you / been recommended

Anybody every bought off of blemino.com they seem to have some decent deals..?

Thank you for your information. I think the forum can help us how to choose best digital cameras for ourselves.

Hi, thanks for the list. first post by the way. need 5 more.

I would like to add one site as a scam site and i think due to the fact that is located in Europe Uk, i didnt see any mention to it yet. Easycameras.net

at this website most speak in french but with two statments that clarify evreything you will be aware how the scam is made. Please consult commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-24359338-easycameras-net]Easycameras.net | CommentCaMarche
    Hope that was handy to evreyone, never know if someone from US buys in europpean sites.
    Keep up the good work

Seems i am not able to post links so hope anyone can consult it like it is

Thumbs down Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

I want to warn everyone that 42nd Street Photo is a dishonest business. I bought from them because they were recommended on Consumer Reports' "Price & Shop" feature that gives you the lowest online price for a product they reviewed. I was so disgusted with my experience with 42nd Street Photo that I am posting my review here in hope that others won't have to go through the same experience as I. I had posted this review on Yelp (it got filtered) and on Reseller Ratings (it got buried under all of the fake 5 star reviews). If you look at 42nd Street Photo on Yelp, you'll find more experiences like mine giving them 2.5 out of 5 stars, and more interestingly you'll also find that out of 406 reviews, only 17 are posted and 389 are filtered! 389! That's because so many are fake 5 star reviews that they authored themselves! Here is my experience...
    WARNING! DO NOT BUY FROM HERE! 0 STARS IF IT WERE POSSIBLE!
    I just got off the phone with my credit card company to file a dispute to have my credit card refunded for the camcorder I ordered from this shady business. Robert has been calling and e-mailing me to "confirm" my order after I had placed it online on Friday, 8/24. I called Robert today, Tuesday, 8/28, to find out I "forgot to indicate whether I wanted the package signed upon delivery." As other reviewers have mentioned, this is no where on the online order form. It's an excuse to get you to call them to try to sell you more products. As expected, Robert then tried to push me to purchase a charger. It wasn't, "would you like to purchase a charger to go with the camcorder." It was, "which charger do you want?" as if I had no option in the matter. I didn't want to have a debate about this, as most people know you can plug the camcorder in the wall to charge the battery, but I digress. I stated I didn't need a charger and just wanted the camcorder and he made me feel like I was stupid and that I was going to have a dead, useless camcorder upon arrival because the camcorder doesn't come with one.
    He then put me on hold to run my credit card through to process the order. I knew this was a bunch of baloney because I was simultaneously online looking at my credit card account activity and saw that they had already put the transaction through on 8/24, 4 days ago, and that it already went through. He then gets back on the phone and says my credit card was declined. I told him I was looking at my credit card online and that they had already received the funds. Robert says that they haven't received the funds, that they're not going to ship the camera until they do, and that I need to call my credit card to see what happened and then call him back. This must have been an act to save face at this point. The whole phone call was so uncomfortable and no customer should ever have to go through that.
    So, I filed a dispute with Amex to get refunded and wrote Robert an e-mail to officially cancel the order. This shouldn't be a problem since they "never received the funds," right? We'll see what happens and then I'll update my review.
    What a headache. I'll gladly pay more to a reputable, respectable, honest vendor that treats their customers with respect than give my money to this shady business. I used to live in their neighborhood and walked by their store every day and feel like I got shammed by my neighbors. Wish I had listened to fellow Yelpers. Don't make the same mistake I did! It's so not worth it to save a few bucks on something like delicate camera-ware. Who knows how they handle their products after seeing how they handle their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JanineB2012 View Post
    I want to warn everyone that 42nd Street Photo is a dishonest business. I bought from them because they were recommended on Consumer Reports' "Price & Shop" feature that gives you the lowest online price for a product they reviewed. I was so disgusted with my experience with 42nd Street Photo that I am posting my review here in hope that others won't have to go through the same experience as I. I had posted this review on Yelp (it got filtered) and on Reseller Ratings (it got buried under all of the fake 5 star reviews). If you look at 42nd Street Photo on Yelp, you'll find more experiences like mine giving them 2.5 out of 5 stars, and more interestingly you'll also find that out of 406 reviews, only 17 are posted and 389 are filtered! 389! That's because so many are fake 5 star reviews that they authored themselves! Here is my experience...
    WARNING! DO NOT BUY FROM HERE! 0 STARS IF IT WERE POSSIBLE!
    I just got off the phone with my credit card company to file a dispute to have my credit card refunded for the camcorder I ordered from this shady business. Robert has been calling and e-mailing me to "confirm" my order after I had placed it online on Friday, 8/24. I called Robert today, Tuesday, 8/28, to find out I "forgot to indicate whether I wanted the package signed upon delivery." As other reviewers have mentioned, this is no where on the online order form. It's an excuse to get you to call them to try to sell you more products. As expected, Robert then tried to push me to purchase a charger. It wasn't, "would you like to purchase a charger to go with the camcorder." It was, "which charger do you want?" as if I had no option in the matter. I didn't want to have a debate about this, as most people know you can plug the camcorder in the wall to charge the battery, but I digress. I stated I didn't need a charger and just wanted the camcorder and he made me feel like I was stupid and that I was going to have a dead, useless camcorder upon arrival because the camcorder doesn't come with one.
    He then put me on hold to run my credit card through to process the order. I knew this was a bunch of baloney because I was simultaneously online looking at my credit card account activity and saw that they had already put the transaction through on 8/24, 4 days ago, and that it already went through. He then gets back on the phone and says my credit card was declined. I told him I was looking at my credit card online and that they had already received the funds. Robert says that they haven't received the funds, that they're not going to ship the camera until they do, and that I need to call my credit card to see what happened and then call him back. This must have been an act to save face at this point. The whole phone call was so uncomfortable and no customer should ever have to go through that.
    So, I filed a dispute with Amex to get refunded and wrote Robert an e-mail to officially cancel the order. This shouldn't be a problem since they "never received the funds," right? We'll see what happens and then I'll update my review.
    What a headache. I'll gladly pay more to a reputable, respectable, honest vendor that treats their customers with respect than give my money to this shady business. I used to live in their neighborhood and walked by their store every day and feel like I got shammed by my neighbors. Wish I had listened to fellow Yelpers. Don't make the same mistake I did! It's so not worth it to save a few bucks on something like delicate camera-ware. Who knows how they handle their products after seeing how they handle their customers.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us and good luck with getting it straightened out. Jeff

Has anyone heard about the store
    GET IT DIGITAL.COM
    Their address is Brooklyn New York

Communication is the key of success and I wish I knew before this happen to me, Im tacking this time to let know the community of camera lovers to not make the same mistake that I made, I always want a good camera, I look everywhere and I saw on Ebay a good "deal" on BIGEASYCAMERA'Smy nightmare started, when the camera Arrived It was so disappointing that I want to talk to costumer service, cheap products, the guy who suppose to help customers, was so nasty and mad because I want to return the camera, they didn't return all my money they charge 120 dlls for a" restocking fee, never heard that one before, I cud not believe it! Don't fool your self's this places are scames better buy a camera in a actually reliable retail store, and save your self a bad day!good luck shooping

On April 10th, 2014, I ordered a Canon 70D model with the 18-55 lens and a 5 year warranty. Within 20 minutes, I called back to cancel the order because I found a better deal and way cheaper warranty. The Sales Rep was very rude and Hostile and said I had to keep it because it had already been shipped and was on the way to my home. I called my bank and they said they were unable to help me because the sales rep said it was already shipped. I called 42nd Street Photo back and the rep said that I could return it when I received it for a full refund f I still didn't want it.

A few days later, I received the package. Inside was a camera body with no lens, also a $249.00 SD card that I did not order was included and no lens. I called the sales rep and he said I could return everything but now there would be a 20% restocking fee. Immediately he offered to send me a lens at no cost and I had to keep the card and that the lens that it would be included in the warranty I already had. Now 2 weeks has passed by. I received the Lens but the warranty did not cover the lens. Now I have to take all this time to call back several times and the rep does not answer or return calls. I finally called and asked for a sup. Immediately the rep was available.

I told him to send me a label to send everything back. He insisted that he would send out a NEW WARRANTY. I was unable to use it because it wasn't invoiced properly. I reached out. Another week passed. In that time the rep emailed me the same invalid invoice. Finally on May 23rd, I called to speak with a sup. I started to tell him the entire long and drawn out story and he cut me off and said "I don't Believe YOU"! He also told me the rep had not been in the day before or that day. I explained that I had no reason to lie and he could pull the call from Avia Phone System. He continued to treat me with maltreat and disrespect.

When I got off the phone I decided to do a search on the company and found Google review totally by chance. I found similar stories about other customers receiving unordered Items. So I posted my own story. Not less than an hour passed when the sales rep called and said why did I post that 1 star review. I asked why he was calling me from home. He stated his bosses called him. The entire time he spent trying to convince me to remove the review. Only then did they start to even remotely try to be nice to me. The next day a new sup emailed me now and asked what could he do to make it right. and now this is where it ends... I asked for him to comp me on a new lens. This is the body of the email:

"Consider.... all the time (original order date APRIL 10th) that was taken from me, over a month and a half of another, the insults I was subjected to by your supervisor and salesman, the lack of action by Your sales rep, and the frustration that I have had to endure since my first contact with your company. What you have to understand is that I feel a sense of violation because of ALL the above issues and the discourteous, impertinent, thoughtless, and audacious way I was treated by Your staff. And only then will I feel a sense of absolution and pardon and be able and to with a good dutiful mindset retract my unfavorable review. Not to mention that I will immediately remove the 1 star rating as soon as I have your agreement to this. Otherwise, and you do have a choice, we can call it even and the review stays up."

They did not meet my request. I will never ever do business with them again. My intent was not blackmail or get something for free. They mistreated me and for that I deserve to be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by kalienteband View Post
    On April 10th, 2014, I ordered a Canon 70D model with the 18-55 lens and a 5 year warranty. Within 20 minutes, I called back to cancel the order because I found a better deal and way cheaper warranty. The Sales Rep was very rude and Hostile and said I had to keep it because it had already been shipped and was on the way to my home. I called my bank and they said they were unable to help me because the sales rep said it was already shipped. I called 42nd Street Photo back and the rep said that I could return it when I received it for a full refund f I still didn't want it.

A few days later, I received the package. Inside was a camera body with no lens, also a $249.00 SD card that I did not order was included and no lens. I called the sales rep and he said I could return everything but now there would be a 20% restocking fee. Immediately he offered to send me a lens at no cost and I had to keep the card and that the lens that it would be included in the warranty I already had. Now 2 weeks has passed by. I received the Lens but the warranty did not cover the lens. Now I have to take all this time to call back several times and the rep does not answer or return calls. I finally called and asked for a sup. Immediately the rep was available.

I told him to send me a label to send everything back. He insisted that he would send out a NEW WARRANTY. I was unable to use it because it wasn't invoiced properly. I reached out. Another week passed. In that time the rep emailed me the same invalid invoice. Finally on May 23rd, I called to speak with a sup. I started to tell him the entire long and drawn out story and he cut me off and said "I don't Believe YOU"! He also told me the rep had not been in the day before or that day. I explained that I had no reason to lie and he could pull the call from Avia Phone System. He continued to treat me with maltreat and disrespect.

When I got off the phone I decided to do a search on the company and found Google review totally by chance. I found similar stories about other customers receiving unordered Items. So I posted my own story. Not less than an hour passed when the sales rep called and said why did I post that 1 star review. I asked why he was calling me from home. He stated his bosses called him. The entire time he spent trying to convince me to remove the review. Only then did they start to even remotely try to be nice to me. The next day a new sup emailed me now and asked what could he do to make it right. and now this is where it ends... I asked for him to comp me on a new lens. This is the body of the email:

"Consider.... all the time (original order date APRIL 10th) that was taken from me, over a month and a half of another, the insults I was subjected to by your supervisor and salesman, the lack of action by Your sales rep, and the frustration that I have had to endure since my first contact with your company. What you have to understand is that I feel a sense of violation because of ALL the above issues and the discourteous, impertinent, thoughtless, and audacious way I was treated by Your staff. And only then will I feel a sense of absolution and pardon and be able and to with a good dutiful mindset retract my unfavorable review. Not to mention that I will immediately remove the 1 star rating as soon as I have your agreement to this. Otherwise, and you do have a choice, we can call it even and the review stays up."

They did not meet my request. I will never ever do business with them again. My intent was not blackmail or get something for free. They mistreated me and for that I deserve to be taken care of.
    Thanks for taking the time to write this post so others may benefit from your experience. Sorry about your misfortune

Let your mother know that how much you love and care by delivering various types of gifts on this special day. Send Mother’s Day Gifts to Singapore through any shopping store and express your deepest sentiments of love and concern. Mother’s Day Flower Delivery in Singapore through online shopping websites is the best option to make your Mother surprise and feel very special.

banished

Re: Recommended internet camera sites and sites to avoid

Too bad this list in the OP isn't updated.

I do agree with the comment about Amazon. I usually try to deal with 'Amazon Marketplace' even if I have to pay sales tax. Amazon's return policy is very good, especially for a product you are unsure of.
    Also 'Amazon Warehouse' deals isn't too bad, though the markdown isn't always that great (depending on condition).

I do believe, Amazon does have control over it's 'sellers' as far as customer satisfaction.

Thank you for your information

Its of great information you have shared

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information