Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Experience in progress

Hey Jeff, I am currently looking to pull the trigger on a new Canon 5D MKll and have been searching around for a place to purchase from.
    I usually buy most everything from amazon or Adorama as my experiences with them have been nothing but excellent and I have purchased quite a lot from the two places.
    However, like everyone else looking to make a expensive purchase I am looking to save a few hundred bucks if I can.
    I have sometimes used Nextag to find a dealer selling at low prices and so I tried them for this purchase. I hit upon a dealer that i never heard of before called "PrimoCameras.com" They are selling the 5D for 2369.00 which is at least 300.00 lower than Amazon or Adorama, plus free shipping. Their website looks very nice and professional and gives you a reassuring feeling somewhat. If I call to place the order, they will offer Rushed shipping for free. So, they obviously want me to call. On the top of the website in small print it says "All products not authorized for sale in N.Y" hmm
    I decide to call and see what happens. A man answers the phone sounding like he just woke up and the background is completely silent. I can imagine it could be him alone in his apartment answering orders. . .whatever.
    I said I'm interested in the Canon 5D MKll He immediately asks me for my credit card number. I do not give it. I asked him what it means about not authorized to sell in N.Y. He keeps saying huh I dunno what you mean like he is avoiding it. Finally he says oh it means I can only give you a year warranty or something like that. He wants my credit card number again.
    I say goodbye.
    I decided that I am going to give either Adorama or Amazon my business because they have earned my respect from good business in the past. It is good enough for me to spend what might be a few hundred dollars more to know that I am supporting stores that practice good business and good customer policies.
    So, while I cannot say i had any bad experience with PrimoCameras, I just decided that the initial feeling was one of distrust.
    We have to realize that anyone can have a super professional looking website out there and even have phony customer satisfaction reviews and numbers but you have to go with gut feeling as well as the old saying "if it looks too good to be true. . .)
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Experience in progress

They have pretty mixed reviews at resellerratings. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Primo_Cameras
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Experience in progress

Gary, I sent you a PM earlier today, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information