Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avoid NWV Direct

NWV Direct or New World Video Direct, isn't an outfit you want to have to deal with. A month ago I went online to find a good price on a Tcon-17 conversion lens. This outfit had it for the about $12 less than anyone else. I placed an online order for the lens and the adapter I needed for my camera. In the afternoon a saleman calls me and tells me they are out of stock on the adapter but could upgrade me to a Digital Optics 2X lens for the same price. He stated the lens got top reviews when it came out and I'd be more than happy with it. Like a dummy I agreed to it. It shipped 1 day later than promised, not a big deal, and when I got it I ran out to try it out. I took some photos and they were awful. They were far from sharp and all had chromatic aberration. I contacted NWV via email and they told me they don't accept returns on lenses. I then called and asked to speak to someone in charge. Of course, it was the person who answered the phone.He gave me the phone number for Sakar, the manufacturer of the lens. I called them and they asked me to take a few more photos according to their instructions. I did and emailed them the results. They came to the conclusion that I had a defective lens. They offered to send a replacement out. After 3 weeks, it finally arrived. I went out again and took some test shots. The middle 35% of the photo looks great. Everything else is just a blur. I called NWV again and told Charlie that I want to send this lens back in trade for the one I originally ordered. He then tried to talk me into another lens from this company. He told me it's a much higher quality and expensive lens and it's a 3x instead of a 2X. He said they would swap even up. I told him no, I want the Olympus. He did finally agree to accept my lens back in trade for the Olympus. However, instead of the Panasonic adapter, he tells me that a step down ring would do the same thing and due to the price difference, I wouldn't be subject to a restocking fee. I said, as long as it works, I don't care. He told me that all I had to do was go to their online customer support page and fill out the RMA# request form, to his attention, and he would get back to me before the end of the next day. Guess what? Yesterday was the next day. Now I'm going to have to call him again Monday and go thru this crap again. I sure wish I would have just gone with B & H or Adorama. I used to deal with them before digital cameras and before I even knew what the internet was. I never had a problem. However, I do have 1 bad fault. I'll do anything to save a couple bucks.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Avoid NWV Direct

Thanks for the heads up. I used to do anything to save a couple of bucks, too and then figured out how much time out of my life those few bucks were costing me. I still look for deals but not ones that will use up my time.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Charlie never did get back to me. When I tried to get ahold of him monday, I was told he was on another line. WhenI called back in the afternoon, I was told he had the day off. Tuesday he was supposedly out too. I went fishing yesterday, so I tried to call him again this morning. The person who answered asked what I wanted him for. I can tell they have caller I.D. He said they wouldn't take back the lens. He asked if I read their return policy. I told him that the web page with the lens says right next to the lens, 21 day satisfaction guaranteed. He repeated, did you read the policy? I said it was a moot point bacause of the web page. By now he was getting quite loud. Finally he asked, "is there anything else I can do for you?". I said yeah, you can kiss my a**, and hung up. I then emailed them a copy of the web page and mentioned that the salesman had also told me about a 21 day satisfaction guarantee, when he talked me into the lens. I then informed them that I was a member of a few photo forums with tens of thousands of members, with whom I would share my experience. I even went so far as to threaten them with the BBB and the Federal Trade Commission. I let them know that I've seen where quite a few people have had issues with them and I would attempt to contact them and have them notify the BBB and FTC and I was sure after enough complaints, their business would be investigated.

Within 2 minutes, I had a call from the owner. He asked for my story and then said he wanted to make things right so I end up with a positive experience to share. I told him, all he needed to do was let me return this lens in even trade for the one I really wanted with the adapter. He checked and told me they were in stock and he would email me the return instructions. He also promised to send the other lens out the same day he received this one. Soon after, I got the email with instructions and address. I then packaged the lens up and took it to the post office. I sent it priority mail with insurance and signature required so I'll know exactly when they get it. I think I may finally see the end to this nightmare. They know I have documentation on everything so I think they are taking my threats seriously.

I'll let you all know how it plays out.
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Finally, the lens I really wanted has arrived. NWV didn't waste much time trying to please me this time. They even answered all my emails promptly and courteously this time around. I think I shook thme up a bit. The lens and adapter came yesterday. I didn't get my fish cleaned until 8:30 last night so I had to wait until this morning to test the lens. It was tough finding a decent subject, but finally, towards the end of the dog walk, this dove appears. The first shot was taken with my Panasonic set for conversion lens and at full zoom with the Tcon-17. The only PP I did was one sharpen and unsharp mask. Considering it was hand held, I shot at 200 ISO, 1/1000 sec. at 3.3. Not a super photo but I'm thrilled with the overall results. At least I know this lens will do it's job. This second photo was with the camera set to no conversion and then I backed up the zoom. It seems to work just fine this way too. There was no cropping done. I'm a happy boy. :thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoid NWV Direct-dove.jpg   Avoid NWV Direct-dove2.jpg  
    Mike

Hi Mike,

I was interested to read your story online. I had exactly the same problem with NWV Direct. I returned the lens to SAKAR and the new one, of course, didn't work either with my Lumix camera. So I called NWV today and they are willing to exchange the lens, but for a way overpriced TCON at 189.00. What lens did you finally get in exchange for your Digital Optix lens that you are happy with?

Thanks for your help.
    Connie

Connie, after all my threats, they finally agreed to exchange my lens even up for the Tcon-17 with adapter. That's strange. Their website is showing the Tcon-17 for $79.
    Mike

Same story, different day. I had ordered SB600 (Nikon) from NWV Direct. Some person from NWV Direct called me and said they didn't have it in stock and would I be willing to accept a Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK in exchange. He said it had a much higher rating than the Nikon SB600. The super 952AF/NIK flash is very poorly constructed, a very cheap flash, can be bought at Amazon.com for $109 with free shipping. Now I know why the guy from NWV Company called me back and wanted to sell me that in exchange for the SB600. Is this called bait and switch? Their policy is that they don’t exchange flashes so I am stuck with this piece of junk, they also say they don’t bait and switch so you decide. They are very nice to talk to on the phone but when it comes to dealing with customer service over a complaint, they just send you a link saying (in my case) our policy is not to exchange flashes. I was stupid, naïve and believed what they told me because they did have good reviews. If you order a name brand product from them and they call and say they are out of stock and would you be willing to accept…………cancel your order. That is what I should have done. The customer service department will definitely give you a run around and half the time I don’t think they completely read and understand ones email or should I say, don’t want to. Well, be careful and don’t accept exchanges for the product you ordered with something else, just like they won’t accept exchanges. Also, it should be noted that the Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK is built or distributed by SAKAR INTERNATIONAL. I notice their name mentioned in a few links. I called them and they said to send it back (it was defective) with the invoice and they would replace it. I have sent it back, don't know if they will replace it but they said they would. The Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK is a very poorly constructed Target or K-Mart type flash. NWV has it listed for $225. They had the Nikon SB600 listed for much less and the total bill (with shipping) on the SB600 was $165. They said they would substitute the superior (had better ratings they said) Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK for the same price and that I would be very happy with it. It is a cheap piece of junk and was defective to boot. Sakar said they would send a new one. I wrote customer service of NWV (email) for the 4th time and asked them if they would exchange the brand new Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK when it arrived from SAKAR and they said NO. Pays to buy name brand and stick with it. They (NWV) will bait and switch even though there web page says they don't.

Thumbs down Re: Avoid NWV Direct

To Connie the Artist and Minnesota Scroller:

I posted my story which sounds about the same as your experiences. I can't get them to do anything to make it right, how did you do it? Thanks, here is my story again just incase you didn't see it. The flash was built or distributed by SAKAR and is a piece of junk. I basically poured $165 down the rat hole plus an additional $8.53 to send it to SAKAR, they wouldn't even email me a mailing label. The NWV salesman I talked to said they would overnight me a new one. FAT CHANCE

I had ordered SB600 (Nikon) from NWV Direct. Some person from NWV Direct called me and said they didn't have it in stock and would I be willing to accept a Digital Concepts super 952AF/NIK in exchange. He said it had a much higher rating than the Nikon SB600. The super 952AF/NIK flash is very poorly constructed, a very cheap flash, can be bought at Amazon.com for $109 with free shipping. Now I know why the guy from NWV Company called me back and wanted to sell me that in exchange for the SB600. Is this called bait and switch? Their policy is that they don’t exchange flashes so I am stuck with this piece of junk, they also say they don’t bait and switch so you decide. They are very nice to talk to on the phone but when it comes to dealing with customer service over a complaint, they just send you a link saying (in my case) our policy is not to exchange flashes. I was stupid, naïve and believed what they told me because they did have good reviews. If you order a name brand product from them and they call and say they are out of stock and would you be willing to accept…………cancel your order. That is what I should have done. The customer service department will definitely give you a run around and half the time I don’t think they completely read and understand ones email or should I say, don’t want to. Well, be careful and don’t accept exchanges for the product you ordered with something else, just like they won’t accept exchanges.

Unhappy Re: Avoid NWV Direct

I am ashamed to admit that I just fell for the exact same scam. Here is my story:

Ordered two lenses for what seemed good prices
    1) Sony wide angle lens
    2) Canon telephoto lens

The next day the sales guy (Charlie) called me to announce that the lenses are out of stock and he talked me into other lenses. Even convinced me to pay more for the lenses.

A few days later when the lenses arrived, I immediately realized my mistake. Didn't even open any of the lenses and called NWV Direct to request a return. Although their website state a "21 Day Satisfaction Guarentee" they refused to exchange the lenses for the lenses on my original order.

These are very dishonest people. Please do not do business with them. They are exactly the internet resellers that you mother warned you about.

Thumbs down Re: Avoid NWV Direct

Hi, I'm new to the site, but wanted to let you know these guys are alive and well and still up to their old tricks.

I ordered an original Canon Macro lens and adapter with and ac adapter last Thursday. Today I got an "your order needs some attention email" (10/06/08).

When I called, I was told that the items were out of stock even though the site still has them as in stock. A very pleasant (read that as excellent salesman; coached) told me they would "upgrade" my order and expedite it for the same price. Well, of course i'm thinking "upgrade" = higher quality, so I reluctantly agreed, but when I got the new invoice a few minutes later, there were no names on the products. After searching the item numbers (one I could never find) I found them to be Digital Optics and Bower. I didn't really know anything about them but they are not well thought of online and have had lots of problems.

I called back right away and tried to cancel the order since my email said that was the only way to cancel and was told, no, only through email. Grrr...After a couple of fruitless emails around 2pm I was insulted and told they had already shipped! (found out later, through UPS tracking that they didn't scan it until after 7 pm)

So I finally asked about returns and was simply sent a link to their page where it says “…The following products are not acceptable for credit, refund, or exchange and must be repaired or handled by the manufacturer or a manufacturers' authorized service centers: Blister-packed items, tripods, opened media, including tapes, cd's or dvd's, lights, flashes, extended warranties, lenses, filters…” So they obviously knew there would be no return.

I am trying to let everyone know. I've since seen quite a few people with problems and a few that were able to get the right items after some fighting and exposure, so we'll see....Stay away! Please pass it on.

thanks so much for this information. Consider it to have worked, as I was seconds away from ordering a flash from them and thought I'd better check in the "community" and sure enough they are too good to be true.

I will NOT use them! thanks again:thumbsup:

I want to thank all of you for your posts warning me about NWV. I ordered a Kodak battery and charger from NWV last night for my daughter's Kodak Z712 for less than anyone else advertised. It listed as in stock and would ship in 1-2 days. Low and behold I get a call from a salesman @ NWV 30 minutes ago telling me "your charger is on back order for 4 weeks, but if you want one in time for Christmas we have a better, upgraded battery charger I can send you...". If anyone out there was foolish enough to actually buy Kodak's Z712 camera for their kids, you know that you'll spend more $ on batteries then the cost of the damn camera!! And that only Kodak’s lithium battery and charger will last in this camera! So, not wanting anything off-market and being very suspicious of this call, I put her on hold & did a quick search of NWV Direct on the internet where I came across this wonderful website!! Needless to say, I got back to her and canceled my order, which she reluctantly agreed to do. I just got an e-mail confirming my order was cancelled and my card not charged. However, I’ll call my credit card company to confirm that my card hasn’t been charged. Then I’ll go to B&H tomorrow and fork over the extra $ and get my daughter her Kodak battery & charger for Christmas. Thanks to all for the helpful info!

We appreciate the fact you took the time to register and let other members know they have been helpful to others interested in photography and have provided information that will certainly cut down on bad Internet purchases and experiences. You will find a lot of helpful info on this and all the other forums on this site. We hope all of you stick around and become active members here at Photography Review and again we are happy we were able to to provide you with useful information, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I too experienced the same bait and switch routine from nwvdirect. I ordered the Olympus FL-36R flash for my DSLR. About 3 hours after placing the order online I received the phone call from the nwvdirect rep telling me that the flash I ordered was out of stock and it would take 4 weeks to get it. He then let me know about a better non-Olympus brand flash he would sell me for the same price. I explained I did not want an off brand flash because I want perfect wireless TTL integration with my camera. He replied that the flash he wanted to sell me was not an off brand and that it was better then the Olympus. This is a classic bait and switch routine. I declined and asked for my order to be canceled.

I love you guys. This thread just saved me. Ordered an SB-600 on-line. Sal emailed me back to tell me it was backordered and
    "wouldn't I like to buy an upgrade to the Digital Concepts 008952AF?"

Told me it got great reviews and intimated that Digital Concepts was one of the companies that make flashes for Nikon to throw their label on. I am glad I decided to call his bluff and check the reviews.

Found this thread. Cancelled the order. THANKS!!!

They are still at their tricks and lies. I ordered a FL-36 Flash for my E-520
    Of course they said it was back ordered 4 to 5 weeks. Then they said they had a better flash. Well you know how that is. Well I said okay. Then I found this site and canceled the next day. Besides I could find nothing on their "better flash unit". So I emailed them, called them and they said okay canceled. They even called back, and emailed back it was canceled.
    This was ordered on Feb. 2nd
    I called and emailed to Cancel Feb.3 they called and confirmed, Feb 3rd. Then Feb 4 2009 they email an confirmed as well.
    They charged my card Feb 5th anyway.
    Today, Feb 6th I emailed them, They now say it will be 5 more business days until they issue a credit.
    I would stay away from them as far as you can. This is switch and bait.
    One sign should have been their testimonials are all to fantastic. Too bad they are so dishonest.
    D.

mn shutterbug - I wish you'd come to Adorama, too.....It's always worth checking sites such as reselleratings before you part with your cc details: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rect_nwvdirect

This is another great site: http://donwiss.com/pictures/brooklynstores/

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adoramacamera.com

I know this thread has been here for 2 years now but this is still very helpful. I called NWV Direct yesterday and inquired for a particular color of the camera I want. I left a message in their voicemail since no one answered (holiday). I was too close to buying it if not for the color. Their price is 100 bucks lower than the one I found in amazon.com (quite unbelievable for the kind of camera I want) but after reading this thread, I changed my mind. If they'll call me back on Monday, I'd just cancel it before I get tangled with this kind of mayhem.

Thanks a lot.

Newbie,
    Sheagle77
    Last edited by sheagle77; 04-11-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by sheagle77
    I know this thread has been here for 2 years now but this is still very helpful. I called NWV Direct yesterday and inquired for a particular color of the camera I want. I left a message in their voicemail since no one answered (holiday). I was too close to buying it if not for the color. Their price is 100 bucks lower than the one I found in amazon.com (quite unbelievable for the kind of camera I want) but after reading this thread, I changed my mind. If they'll call me back on Monday, I'd just cancel it before I get tangled with this kind of mayhem.

Thanks a lot.

Newbie,
    Sheagle77
    Hi Sheagle77,

May I know the amazon link for this?
    I'm interested.

Thanks in advanced.

DON'T BUY FROM NEW WORLD VIDEO DIRECT! Sounds like I've had the exact same experience as everyone else on here. Wish I would've looked around a little more first. I found NWVDirect through a product search looking for a good price on lenses for my Sony camera. They had a good price and seemed like a legit store. The website said my product was in stock, so I placed the order. A few hours later I got a call from someone at the store telling me they were out of the lenses I wanted, but for an additional $30 for each lens I could "upgrade" to HD lenses that were in stock. I decided that the original prices were low enough that I could go for it. When I received the lenses they were knock-off brand and wouldn't even focus for most of the picture frame. I emailed customer service and got a rather nasty email back mad at me for saying the lenses were junk. After a few phone calls and more unfriendly service I was finally given an RA number. After shipping the items back for a refund I have still only been given a partial refund and am having to fight to get the rest. They drag this out longer and I'll just go through American Express. They are always really good about this sort of stuff.

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I was about ready to order a Canon 430ex from them, but I decided to do a quick web search first and came across this thread. I will go elsewhere now!!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Go elsewhere to buy but stay here to learn and share.
    Glad you found the thread before buying.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by manyoceans
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I was about ready to order a Canon 430ex from them, but I decided to do a quick web search first and came across this thread. I will go elsewhere now!!
    I am very glad that you this thread BEFORE you purchased you new equipment. So many people only do research after they have ordered or run into a problem and then it is too late. I would like to suggest that you check out my sticky post here on recommended sites and sites to avoid for further information. Go to the address below for more helpful information, Jeff

Recommended sites and sites to avoid
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wished I'd saw this site sooner. The warning to stay away from any seller in Brooklyn New York is a valid statement. I just got burned by a company called NWV Direct.com. (New World Video.com). They pulled the old "Bait and Switch scam on me. Offered a name brand product at a lower price to suck me in. So I got hooked. Then got a phone call offering me a "more expensive upgrade" a the same price because I was "being inconvenienced" and they as well as everyone else were out of this item. So I took the offer. What I got was a piece of cheap junk. The reviews confirmed it. But I'm retired so I got lots of time to screw with these guys. I got a complaint in with NY BBB also a few blog post telling my story. When I'm done every body in the world will know about the scams at NWV Direct.com. Randy :mad2:

Same thing with me. This is evidently their standard practice. I sent a message to the Better Business Bureau.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information