ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

building a multilens camera. need EVERYTHING manual.

Hi I am trying to build a multi lens/camera system for 3d photography. The main challenge is to set all cameras to exactly the same zoom lens settings, white balance, focus and exposure settings. I usually shoot with a digital slr but it doesnt have this level of control. Can anyone think of a camera that can have all thes set manually or at least set once and then locked in place (I think focal length is going to be the most challenging).

The camera must be digital for post production at maybe at least 4mp each. Models a couple of years old would be ideal because I will need maybe 8 of these guys so might mean a trip to eBay.

Cheers, James

Re: building a multilens camera. need EVERYTHING manual.

dslr set to full manual (white balance, exposure, shutter speed, iso) and fixed length lens would work.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Thanks for the reply. Fixed focal length lens would help but I have a feeling the 3d effect will require the same focal point or distance for all cameras as well. I dont have such a setting on my canon 400d. Putting the lens on manual and locking the focus might work. But I was hoping to get away from dslr as the cost will rise rapidly. Any compact have such features?

Thanks, James

I would find a few friends with dslr's and figure out what lenses everyone has and find a focal length that works for all, than set it up. How many photo shoots are you planning to do?? That may make a huge difference also. I would also assume that if you got 8 p/s cameras of the same model that would make the setting up a little easier. If they don't have adjustable settings for w/b would you assume that they are all set the same. And can you open jpegs in camera raw/lightroom and adjust w/b post production?? And in order for all the w/b's to be the same wouldn't you have to have even lighting? Is the subject being photographed a still life or moving object?? also consider a rig that you can move your 1 camera around to achieve the same effect.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Hi Shawn, the ideal would be about 8 cameras ans yes, i think a fairly decent p/s camera would have manual enough settings for w/b. Manual settings will mean I dont have to spend weeks editing w/b from raw files. Actually the lighting will be even. It will be in a studio. But i am hoping to shoot portraits so they will be moving a little. So the single camera rig wont work.

Actually I am not worried about w/b. I think the main problem is getting all cameras to focus on the same point. One more big problem would be getting all the cameras to fire at the same time. I was thinking about using a remove infrared trigger. Hopefull that would lead to matching images

Thanks, James

Thread Information