ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Suffering from photo withdrawals

Hi folks.
    I have not had a chance to go out shooting in a week and was beginning to have withdrawals, so I grabbed my FA50/1.4 and hooked it up to the ole K10D and chronicled my morning...Well, not really chronicled, but I figured I would find stuff to shoot....

So I got out early morning while still slightly dark...I shot the lamp post in my yard for reference...

I then shot this old barrel that we use as a sump pump cover in my yard.

I also found an old/new slipper out in the yard. GRRRRRR

Shot my kid on the way to school with the quickly rising sun on his face.

Went through the Jack in the box for a number 23 and while there I saw this gauge on the wall, so I shot it.

I then get to work and am getting ready to load my pictures to my computer, when I notice my Son was playing with my first ever digital camera...I actually used 1.44 floppy disc for storage...Many youngsters will not even know what that is....

And lastly, I liked the colors in my pencil holder...

And that's it for now...

If you have any snap shot you would like to share, by all means do so.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Suffering from photo withdrawals

I'm in the same boat, Javier. Haven't lifted the camera for at least a week. I've been busy and a bit under the weather but this weekend we are headed to the ocean with sons and families so I'm sure I'll be shooting a lot there.
    Sometimes our subdued creativity comes out when we just start shooting whatever and all your shots have something going for them.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Nice shots Javier. You're very creative - I can never find anything that I could make look interesting around here. I'll have to learn to be more creative.

I love that floppy disk camera! Wow! I never saw one before. That may just become a collectors' item someday - if it's not already.

Every time I go into the "Container Store" up here, I look at this awesome Brownie Hawkeye camera complete with flash sitting there (as a decoration). I keep thinking of asking if they would consider selling it. But for what? Just to use as a decoration in my house? Just stuff I guess.

I sure can relate to not having been out with the camera lately and having withdrawal symptoms. It's been a few weeks since I pushed that shutter button. Between new computer crashes, returns, another new computer, Vista learning curve (stuck on stupid here) and finally a migraine headache, I finally put a day just for taking pictures into this week's schedule. Depending on the weather, this Saturday is looking good.

In the meantime - now don't get "jealous"- I compensated by pre-ordering the G10 from Amazon. $499 no tax, free shipping and a 30 day return policy, I decided to take the leap. Rumour has it that on or about Oct 2 Canon will begin shipments.

I'm feeling much better now. :thumbsup:

Liz

Frog, Thanks for the comments. I look forward to checking out your beach pics.

Liz, that floppy drive camera was cutting edge when I bought it. i paid $799.99 for it and it is a whoping .3 mp Point three megapixels,,sheesh.

As for the G10, great minds think alike..I pre ordered mine from Amazon day before yesterday..What sold me was the wide angle.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Liz

As for the G10, great minds think alike..I pre ordered mine from Amazon day before yesterday..What sold me was the wide angle.
    Yes, this was one of my reasons. However, the biggest reason was the fact that I absolutely missed my G9 after I sold it. Looking at my Jersey shore shots after selling the camera, I couldn't help but think that no p&s would give me the IQ that I got from the G9. And now the wide angle. And nicer LCD. Of course I'll miss that larger zoom. But I can live with that.

It's great you're getting the G10! I heard it is supposed to be out by Oct. 2 - it may be a rumor but Canon usually ships shortly after their announcments.

Liz

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

jgredline- Quote "I have not had a chance to go out shooting in a week and was beginning to have withdrawals"
    I can relate to that !!
    I see that you're a snap-on guy.That Throttle body makes a great pen / everything holder. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Liz, I know how you feel. After my G9 got stolen, I did end up buying another one because the image quality spoiled me...
    My wife already claimed the G9, so it will be staying in the family.

Rick, Snap on all the way
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ah, the Sony Mavica! I had forgotten about that camera and then I heard it mentioned on a podcast earlier this week. It reminded me of one of my friends first digital cameras. I'm pretty sure he had the same thing. Then just today, I saw one sitting on a table at work. Oh how I long for the good ole days. NOT!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Ah, the Sony Mavica! I had forgotten about that camera and then I heard it mentioned on a podcast earlier this week. It reminded me of one of my friends first digital cameras. I'm pretty sure he had the same thing. Then just today, I saw one sitting on a table at work. Oh how I long for the good ole days. NOT!
    Yep, I bought one back in 1999 for $799,99 ..''OUCH''
    Here is an image I shot with it today...Straight off the floppy disc..
    It was cutting edge at the time. Compare to similar image above.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

I just sold my Sony Mavica on Ebay, a little over a year ago. It looked very similar to the one shown. I had all the bells and whistles for it, including 2X conversion lens, wide angle/macro lens and floppy disk adapter. It actually took very good photos. The biggest problem was the 3 1/2 seconds it took to write the image to the disk. However, it took 7 seconds when using the floppy disk adapter.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Yep, I bought one back in 1999 for $799,99 ..''OUCH''
    Here is an image I shot with it today...Straight off the floppy disc..
    It was cutting edge at the time.
    Funny you bring this up. I've had a Coolpix 5000 since '02 when it was discontinued. At that point it came down in price enough that I decided to buy one (just less than your camera) and I've really liked it and used it all along. I hadn't really shot with it in the last year but pressed it back into service over Labor Day weekend. Wow - sensors sure have come a long ways, haven't they! Then I heard about the new Panasonic Lumix LX3 with the Leica 24mm f2 lens. Mine showed up today...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Then I heard about the new Panasonic Lumix LX3 with the Leica 24mm f2 lens. Mine showed up today...
    How very cool. I considered one till I heard about the G10...I have a few old Fuji fine pix P&S that still rock to this day.
    Infact I have a 3.2mp that rocks..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Liz

Then I heard about the new Panasonic Lumix LX3 with the Leica 24mm f2 lens. Mine showed up today...
    Don't forget to post some pics!

Congratulations! Great choice.

Liz

A few more snap shots from today.
    My grandson Adam with his Aunti Elizabeth.(my daughter)

My other daughter claire.

Our dog Sam.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

When you get your G10, call in sick a couple of days and enjoy yourself Javier. LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

How very cool. I considered one till I heard about the G10...I have a few old Fuji fine pix P&S that still rock to this day.
    Infact I have a 3.2mp that rocks..
    Actually Fuji was one of the first things I thought of - they've always had some really good quirky (IOW for photographers) compacts. The G9 and G10 are really nice, and the new top Coolpix is along those lines too. But 24mm, f2.0, Leica lens, physically larger sensor without cramming in more MP - that's about all I needed to hear. I'm not looking for 20mp (exaggeration, but you get the point) from a compact. The Coolpix 5000's 5mp was not a problem for me and never a reason for looking for a replacement. I did a few quick shots with the LX3 yesterday but nothing worth posting. I'll post something in a few days about it - once I get used to it, and the RAW software (yes, RAW!).

Ugh.. talk about photo withdrawls....

I've hardly been able to take any pics in a year. This has been kind-of a bad year for me and now, I have the desire back, but not the time!!! Taking care of a newborn that wants to do nothing but nurse doesn't allow much time to go out shooting lol

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmberC
    Ugh.. talk about photo withdrawls....

I've hardly been able to take any pics in a year. This has been kind-of a bad year for me and now, I have the desire back, but not the time!!! Taking care of a newborn that wants to do nothing but nurse doesn't allow much time to go out shooting lol

Amber
    Amber, You really need to shoot. You have one of the most precious of creations to photograph. You have those precious little feet, hands, eyes, ears, face etc...Shoot away...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Here is a similar portrait shot of my daughter on the way to school. I have her and my son alternate days at the front so they don't fight...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Amber, You really need to shoot. You have one of the most precious of creations to photograph. You have those precious little feet, hands, eyes, ears, face etc...Shoot away...
    Javier is absolutely right - time goes by fast.

Oh yeah - I got to shoot a couple of bands last night. It'll be a couple of days, but I'll have something to share (finally).

Yes,Amber,please try a few shots....I was too groggy for months to take pics,after both my babies,but treasure the ones I have !

Also suffering from withdrawal-hence no posts-'cos

1. Camera in store (again)

2.Using time to educate myself,found a mentor who will work with me.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Oh I've been shooting the kids (that never sounds right to me lol) and not that I dont love taking photos of them, but I would LOVE to be able to have some time and go out (BY MYSELF) and actually be able to shoot other things (nature mostly). Thats where my withdrawls are lol.

Here is a recent one of my son (it still feels strange to say I have a son after the girls lol)

and the girls wrestling lol (they are "tigers" in the jungle)
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout .
    Wonderful expression,what a darling !

NOW is the time to start working on the girls-future babysitting material-lol.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Thread Information