ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Goodbye Kodak

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Goodbye Kodak

That bastion of my childhood and, for that matter, most of my life, is calling it quits. Kodak is dumping it's film and imaging business. I should have kept that last roll of Kodachrome and Ektar to sell in 30 years time...

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,3103217.story
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: Goodbye Kodak

I am thinking of selling my Leica. While it's still worth something. It has been collecting dust since I went full frame. Sad, but digital has come of age. As much as I love my M6. A tough choice.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Kodak is STILL producing film during the process of the sale, they are going to SELL the division to someone who is going to run with it. So go out, buys rolls of Kodak film, show that it's still a good deal, that it's loved and has a customer base, to make it more tasty to whomever is going to buy it.

Stop being so negative :P
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Things to know (received via e-mail from Kodak):
    1. Kodak continues to manufacture all its products - including film - during this lengthy and complex process. Management expects it to take many months and has said they don't expect any final sale to be completed before early - mid 2013.
    2. As Kodak moves forward with the potential sale of these businesses to new ownership, our intention is to find a buyer who will continue to offer the same products, services and support that you currently receive from Kodak.
    3. Kodak, has successfully sold businesses in the past with a seamless transition for customers (e.g. Carestream) and employees and those businesses have grown....and thrived. This also happened with the chemical division, Dektol, D-76, HC-110, Xtol, Kodafix ect are all produced by another company 100% seperate from Kodak, but still uses the names.
    4. As part of the potential sale, any buyer would have the option to buy and use the Kodak brand for the products.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information