ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens

I just decided to go out and play a bit and get some Raw files and see what I could do playing with them a bit. The shots I'll post are with the Canon 1D MKII N and a Canon 28-300mm USM IS lens.
    This first shot is cropped from a 100% view, then converted to jpg and resized for this site. The original file was 7,820KB. There is a small amount of blurr on the one wing but it was moving at the time so thats to be expected. It was taken at 300mm focal length. From what I have seen so far I'm impressed with this lens, even at night with flash shooting sports.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens-ob5o1482.jpg  

Re: Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens

This #2 at 110mm on the Canon 28-300mm USM IS lens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens-ob5o1465.jpg  

This one is at 28mm focal length with 28-300mm USM IS

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens-ob5o1470.jpg  

Liz

Nice shots - sharp, good color and contrast. I didn't even know Canon made a 28-300 IS lens. Looks great to me.

Did you do much post-processing?

Keep posting those pictures.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    This one is at 28mm focal length with 28-300mm USM IS

JS

Thank you Liz!

Yup Canon makes the 28-300 USM IS f3.5 - 5.6 lens, it's a beast too! 3.7 pounds, so almost 7 pounds when attached to either of my 1D's. I'm afraid to put it on the DRebel due the DRebels plastic body . It aint cheap either...$2199.99 but, I figured it would serve my "journalistic" needs and save me the cost of two or three other lenses. I knew from trying one out at Indy last May it would work well for most of what I shoot, nut I have to say I am impressed with the thing for general photography and even some close up as well.
    As for post processing, all I really did was up the brightness a bit as some dummy (ME! ) set the exsposure compensation to -3 for the top and bottom shots. I think I may have used a tad bit of sharpening on the bottom shot too (butterfly).

Overall I'm really impressed with the way the lens works at all focal lengths, as well as closeup. I even got some good night action shots in both football and soccer with it, both with and without flash.

JS

Took this one tonight while driving home.... same deal, raw to jpg same lens Canon 28-300mm

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raw to jpg just playing w/camera & lens-ob5o1509.jpg  

Thread Information