ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My sisi just sent me lenses for the Nikon

Feels like Xmas in June so how big a present will I have to send her...

All are Nikon lenses a 24 mm, f/2
    an 85mm, f/2.8
    a 105 mm, f/2.8
    and I have a Quantaray 18mm- 50mm that I got with the D70

she kepta 300mm and some other big one cuz she's a bird nerd like Paul.

oh and two orange filters, 2 reds, one yellow and one green, and Bantam battery thingy... all manual focus which is exciting because I can really learn all the technicalities while using digital...and Larry thought it might be a good idea if I picked up a 35mm film SLR...(I love him) Any suggestions.

if I understand it correctly... a film lense on a digital camera---I have to multiply all by 15 to get their actual specs? is that right...?

Already I see adifference in the "look" of the images which makes me want to put some film in the ole K1000. I miss film...

Anyway I was just excited and thought I'd share...in my world any lenses are good lenses. and free lenses are THE BEST...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    35mm film SLR...(I love him) Any suggestions.
    Look at an FM2 or an FM2N. Used prices are very low and they're great cameras. They're all manual though - otherwise an N90S is a great deal on a used AF.

Quote Originally Posted by natabeach
    if I understand it correctly... a film lense on a digital camera---I have to multiply all by 15 to get their actual specs? is that right...?
    Actually x 1.5. A 50mm has the angle of view of a 75mm. Nice early present - especially that 24 f2! Have fun...

oh o.k.

[QUOTE=another view]Look at an FM2 or an FM2N. Used prices are very low and they're great cameras. They're all manual though - otherwise an N90S is a great deal on a used AF.

I actually have the FM2N bookmarked on a site...it seemed the most basic and durable... Thnaks for the tip and help...

was it you that was remodeling hids house?(a bathroom) if so how did it turn out and if it's not you---well no hablo ingles...como ? que dijo?(sp)
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nikon Glass!

Right On Nat!!
    Nikon Good!!!
    ;)
    Brian
    I LOVE Nikon!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Nikon Good!!!
    Kinda caveman like... did you grab the wifey by the hair and snatch your club LOL ...that was funny...Nikon is good...I'm starting to be a fan.
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Lol!

Kinda caveman like... did you grab the wifey by the hair and snatch your club LOL ...that was funny...Nikon is good...I'm starting to be a fan.
    No, I didn't do that silly!
    Glad you got a good laugh.
    Glad you are become a fan of the World's Best Camera..
    I dub thee Nikon Samurai #3...
    All in favor?

Brian
    Nikon Samurai #2
    Nikon, GOOD!!!!!!
    ;)
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Cool Wait A Minute!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    No, I didn't do that silly!
    Glad you got a good laugh.
    Glad you are become a fan of the World's Best Camera..
    I dub thee Nikon Samurai #3...
    All in favor?

Brian
    Nikon Samurai #2
    Nikon, GOOD!!!!!!
    ;)

Kokopeli is Nikon Samuari #3.
    Walterick is Nikon Samurai #4.
    So Nat would have to be Nikon Samurai #5.

Welcome Nikon Warrior!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Talking Awesome Nat!!!! You Are LOVED!!!

Feels like Xmas in June so how big a present will I have to send her...

All are Nikon lenses a 24 mm, f/2
    an 85mm, f/2.8
    a 105 mm, f/2.8
    and I have a Quantaray 18mm- 50mm that I got with the D70

she kepta 300mm and some other big one cuz she's a bird nerd like Paul.

oh and two orange filters, 2 reds, one yellow and one green, and Bantam battery thingy... all manual focus which is exciting because I can really learn all the technicalities while using digital...and Larry thought it might be a good idea if I picked up a 35mm film SLR...(I love him) Any suggestions.

Already I see adifference in the "look" of the images which makes me want to put some film in the ole K1000. I miss film...

Anyway I was just excited and thought I'd share...in my world any lenses are good lenses. and free lenses are THE BEST...

Nikon glass is the best! Free Nikon glass is even better!!

Film lens on a digital Nikon camera (other brands have different multiplying factors) multiply by 1.5, not 15 - I know it was a typo. :-O

If you're looking for a used manual camera, then the FM2 is definitely a great one to get. If you're looking for an AF camera, I highly recommend the N80. From what I've heard and seen, the D100 and D70 are very similar in size and function to the N80, so switching between the two should be a breeze. The bad news is, it's nearly impossible to find a used N80. People hang onto them. OK, actually, you can find them when someone upgrades to a F100 or F5. The good news is, a new N80 is only $350, and they have a $50 rebate going right now. You can get a new N80 for little more (or the same) amount you would spend on a used FM2.

Congratulations on your new Nikon glass!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Great news...

Great news, you are going to have a wonderful experience with those lenses. I have the 24mm f2 and the 85 f2.8 both are great lenses that served me very well during the manuel days. Like your sister mine have been gathering dust now for the last couple of years since I went to the auto focus bodies. Now is a great time to find a great deal on a used Nikon manuel body. With your thrist for photo knowledge and your wonderful eye for the creative I can't help but think it would be a great investment for you. Have fun with your new toys.

I actually have the FM2N bookmarked on a site...it seemed the most basic and durable... Thnaks for the tip and help...

was it you that was remodeling hids house?(a bathroom) if so how did it turn out and if it's not you---well no hablo ingles...como ? que dijo?(sp)
    If you're looking at ebay, the FM2 never actually said FM2n - at least on the front of it. If the serial # starts with "N" (on the back, right below the film wind lever), than it's an FM2n. You will find some called FM2's that are actually FM2n's and might save a few bucks.

Yes, it was me who had the bathroom from - well, you know where... It's about 95% done. I should shoot it and post - good assignment. So how did it go? Pretty good now that we're at this point. Lots of battles to get to this point though!

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    Wow! What a score. I wish I had siblings like that. I too say go with a FM2N, I loved the one I owned for years. No reason to spend big money on automatics when all your lenses are fixie manuals anyway.

Look forward to seeing some super sharp shots from them.

-scott

My Bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Kokopeli is Nikon Samuari #3.
    Walterick is Nikon Samurai #4.
    So Nat would have to be Nikon Samurai #5.

Welcome Nikon Warrior!

DOH!
    Thanks for the correction Robert!

OK Nat you are Nikon Samurai #5..

Brian
    Nikon Samurai #2
    Nikon, GOOD!!!!!
    ;)
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Wow!!!

that is one nice sister you got there!! Some great glass as well. I agree with the others, an FM2 or N90 would be a great pick up for these lenses.

Congrats Nat!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

Manual Compatibility

If i read your post right, the new lenses are manual. Keep in mind that although they will mount to most Nikons, they will not meter with the most recent ones such as the N80 and N75. They will mount to your D70, too, but won't meter, although I've heard that people use the LCD histogram to guestimate. Autofocus models with which I know they will meter include the N6006, N8008, N90, F100, & F5. I think they work with the N60 and N70, but I;m not sure.

I bought a Nikon EM and an FG-20 on Ebay last year for $50 and $90, respectively. Both are really small cameras that are fun to use. I preferred the FG-20 because it offered more control.

Thread Information