ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Ky get together

Ky get together

I know it's coming onto winter, but we still shoot year round right? I have been talking with Old Timer about this and we just wanted to see if anyone would be interested. The weather will help determine a date and maybe even location. We have talked about Louisville and Lexington as possible sites, but also possibly some state park. I just want to see if there is any interest out there right now and any other possible sites we could go to. This would also be open to any neighbor states that might be interested. So let us hear from you all.

Re: Ky get together

I'd love to make a trip to Kentucky but not in the winter. I encourage all the locals to get together and start a face-to-face group out there. And then maybe next year you could organize a Gathering. I've never been to Kentucky and I've been wanting to make a trip there, as well as to eastern Tenessee, and West Virginia.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks, PhotoJohn, for the input. We may have to do that instead. What I may do is leave it up to those that may be interested. We could always meet somehwere for a meeting and do dinner. I just want to see how many ky folks we have around here.

And we would love to have the brain behind this board here for a get together anytime.

So how about it, guys, anyone interested?

What Photo John....afraid of a little cold and snow? Snow is FUN!!! Although it does make biking a bit interesting

So srobb, where you planning on doing this? If it isn't too far I may be able to sneak down from Indiana.

JS

Well, I am not sure. If we do it only as kind of a dinner thing, we could do it in Louisville or Lexington. Then depending on what the weather was, we could still get in some photography if we wanted to. I just want to see if I can get some interest generated here. Otherwise, it may only be you, Old Timer and me. ;)

I remember a National Geographic article about horse racing and that area a few years ago. I'd love to get down there, but would want to do it when the weather is a little warmer. I'm not afraid of the snow (hope to make it up to northern WI this winter) but that's not what I want to shoot. Can't promise anything - time off is a pretty valuable commidity!

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    What Photo John....afraid of a little cold and snow? Snow is FUN!!! Although it does make biking a bit interesting
    Since I've lived in Montana, Utah, Colorado, Boston, and the Canadian Maritimes, I think I'm qualified to pass judgement on winter visits. If I visit the snow, it's gonna be Utah, Colorado, Tahoe, or BC, where the snow is worth the trip

As for riding in the snow, let me just refer you to this photo, taken about three weeks ago: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...cat=500&page=1
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been wanting to make a trip there, as well as to eastern Tenessee, and West Virginia...
    I have a couple of good friends in Tenn., now, and would really like to visit them some time next year. Maybe we could make a point to plan something for the spring...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think the idea of a local pow-wow is a good idea and if we can get John down from Indy than Louisville would be a good idea. From that meet we could try and plan something for the spring. I am thinking around the spring meet at Keeneland. It is one of the more beautiful track in the country and offers some great photo opportunities in the spring. Plus we could do a horse farm or two the day before or after Keeneland. That may even get the "big kauna" here from CA. Come on you other that are in or close to KY chime in here.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I am really liking that idea, OT. I think for now a dinner meet would be the better idea. Hopefully we can have a few get interested in that. I think Keeneland would be a wonderful idea for next spring. Especially since I had all the best intentions of getting there this year and never did.

And since I have some connections, I might be able to get us on a farm either in Lexington, or in Bourbon County. So come on folks, let's hear from you all out there.

In reality I could go about anywhere in KY since, if I have to go to the southern part of the state I can then hop the border and vist my parents in Northern Tenn. near Crossville.
    The only problem is that the winter & spring is busy here with sports.

JS

Well, JSPhoto, guess we could even have it in Lexington since that would put you even closer to them. If we don't get any interest here, it may just be me, you and Old Timer.

Thread Information