ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I came this close....

...to getting some good fireworks shots!!! Still I'm relatively happy since this is my very first time shooting fireworks. I just used the pointers I read about on this site...

I use my F828, 5 or 10 second exposures @ F8. I didn't use a tripod because, I don't have one. I concidered borrowing one but ran out of time (I'm a chronic procrastinator). Anyway, I just rested the camera on cars at the Mavericks stadium (minor league ball park).. I had to pre frame and shoot when I heard the thud of a firework being shot into the air. As you can see, I missed the framing of the one that had the potential of being the best one!!! ARRGGHH!! I also suffered form pesky parking lot lights polluting my pictures..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I came this close....-dsc05533-640.jpg   I came this close....-dsc05535-640.jpg   I came this close....-dsc05537-640.jpg   I came this close....-dsc05541-640.jpg  

Not Bad At All

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    ...to getting some good fireworks shots!!! Still I'm relatively happy since this is my very first time shooting fireworks. I just used the pointers I read about on this site...

I use my F828, 5 or 10 second exposures @ F8. I didn't use a tripod because, I don't have one. I concidered borrowing one but ran out of time (I'm a chronic procrastinator). Anyway, I just rested the camera on cars at the Mavericks stadium (minor league ball park).. I had to pre frame and shoot when I heard the thud of a firework being shot into the air. As you can see, I missed the framing of the one that had the potential of being the best one!!! ARRGGHH!! I also suffered form pesky parking lot lights polluting my pictures..

Pretty good, especially considering that they were handheld. While they would have been better without the lights, you've got to go with what you've got. Try different positions next time.

By all means, get a tripod. Even a $20 model from Wal Mart is better than none at all! I know, because that's what I used for the first year after I got my N80. It allowed me to get shots that would not have been possible handheld. Not the optimine setup, but it works.

Now you've got a better idea of what to do next year. You can refine your technique. Find what works for you and go with it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks.. That third one really gripes me though.. So close.. I did move (finally) and used the bed of some strangers ford truck that where the lights were out of my line of sight, but too little to late. By the time I got settled, it was over, before I could recompose where the fireworks were exploding.

I'll take a look at walmart next time I'm there. So many times I've wished I'd had a tripod.

So many times I've wished I'd had a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Thanks.. That third one really gripes me though.. So close.. I did move (finally) and used the bed of some strangers ford truck that where the lights were out of my line of sight, but too little to late. By the time I got settled, it was over, before I could recompose where the fireworks were exploding.

I'll take a look at walmart next time I'm there. So many times I've wished I'd had a tripod.

Yep. And once you get one, you'll wish you had gotten it sooner.

I normally prefer to shoot without a tripod. Just the way I am. But for some things (landscapes, astrophotography, fireworks, etc), it is an essential item if you want good photo's, and I wouldn't shoot without one.

My problem with fireworks this year was being too close! Yeah, too close. It rained on us as well. But it's always fun, and it's a learning experience. I know not to get so close next year!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information