ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This thrills me

This thrills me

This absolutely thrills me.

New lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5/6 IS USM.

I'm sure everybody's got a moon shot in their inventory, but I'm getting such a kick out of the fact that I can get detail like this now. Just wait till that ol' harvest moon rises!

I'll need to sharpen in ps, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This thrills me-moon.jpg  
    Last edited by opus; 07-27-2004 at 10:40 PM.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

At the moment the moon is up during the day here, so hard to do a comparison using the same lens from here, but I do intend to.

One thing when taking the image, use mirror lockup if you have it and use the timer, on a tripod and see what the difference is, as a comparison.

I don't know what mirror lockup is, but I did use a tripod and a remote "shutterbutton" (forgot the technical name for it). Took IS off, on your suggestion, and bracketed for experimentation (to learn). So this one is ISO 100, f5.6, 1/60.

Is mirror lockup where you wouldn't get camera shake from the mirror? I'll bet that would have made a difference. I just thought perhaps it's impossible to get an absolutely clear shot of an object soooo far away, through atmosphere, etc.

Does this help you with a comparison? This was taken on Sunday evening, just before sunset, handheld, with IS on.

Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Shooting Date/Time
    07/25/04 19:15:35
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/125
    Av(Aperture Value)
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    75.0 - 300.0mm
    Focal Length
    300.0mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This thrills me-moonday.jpg  

Oh, and obviously, these are cropped....

Beware: Mom With Camera

Great shot!

This makes me really drool over the lens. It's on my wish list at the moment.
    Kate

wow

Speed will be excited to see these...nice...especially the second one
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Kelly,

These are very soft. To bring out the detail stop down to f/8 or f/16. That willmake the lens sharper. Boost ISO if you need short enough shutter speeds to stop the motion of the moon.

I like the composition on the second, well done.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Mirror Lock up is...

Kelly,
    Mirror lock up is a camera feature where the mirror flips up and locks up, before you press the shutter release. I doubt it is on your camera, it is usually a feature on high end pro cameras. I don't know about Canon, but you will find it on Nikon cameras such as the F5 and F3.
    It is a handy feature, when doing long exposures, because sometimes the vibration from
    the mirror flipping up and locking into place causes the camera to vibrate.

The "remote shutterbutton" you were mentioning is usually called a "shutter release cord."

Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-28-2004 at 07:31 AM. Reason: $%#@ Bad Typing!!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    The "remote shutterbutton" you were mentioning is usually called a "shutter release cord."

Brian
    Thanks!!! Words OFTEN fail me, even during the day. It's much worse in the middle of the night.

Sebastian, thanks for the tips! I will try that next time and post my results!

mjm
    that guy.
    you can get mirror lock up on the 300D by installing new firmware....

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean

Sebastian, thanks for the tips! I will try that next time and post my results!
    Cool, looking forward to it.

What MJM is true, a firmware hack does open up disabled features, but it is still a hack and I would think long and hard before applying it.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Question Whoa?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    What MJM is true, a firmware hack does open up disabled features, but it is still a hack and I would think long and hard before applying it.
    I would agree with you there Seb, who knows what would happen.
    As far as I am concerned a mirror lock should remain mechanical, and not automated.
    If it wasn't put there or upgraded from the manufacturer there is no way I'd do it.
    If a feature is that important I'd buy a camera with it in the first place.
    So does Canon have a mirror lock up on any of it's digital or film cameras?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I would agree with you there Seb, who knows what would happen.
    As far as I am concerned a mirror lock should remain mechanical, and not automated.
    If it wasn't put there or upgraded from the manufacturer there is no way I'd do it.
    If a feature is that important I'd buy a camera with it in the first place.
    So does Canon have a mirror lock up on any of it's digital or film cameras?
    Brian
    Canon, unlike Nikon, has seen the value of mirror lockup for a long time and anything at the Elan level and up has it.

A mirror lockup by definition is mechanical, the mirror is a physical thing that moves up mechanically, isn't it? All (to my knowledge) electronic cameras with the exception of the F5 use an electronically actuated mirror lockup. You turn it on, press the shutter once to lock up, pres it again to fire. Obviously that's meant to work with a cable release. D100 has something similar in the "mirror pre-fire." The mirror opens half a second before the shutter, thinking that by then the vibration will have dissipated. Obviously a true mirror lock seems superior because you have more control over it, but in the end I doubt it makes much of a difference in final image quality.

EDIT: I know some of you are wondering, so yes, ANY electronic camera can have mirror lock-up, it's just the manufacturer that's choosing not to include it in the camera firmware to "encourage" you to buy a higher-level camera. It used to require a seperate mechanical lever and internal connections. Now that that everything is just a signal being sent via circuits, whether film or digital, it's just a matter of picking and choosing what to put into it based on firmware.
    -Seb

My website

Interesting...

I have only owned one Nikon that has the mirror lock up feature, F3.
    The F100 does not have it.
    This has been an interesting thread!
    I have learned something about mirror lock up!
    Thanks Seb!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Gee I'm glad when I stimulate a discussion about something that I find interesting. I too have learnt a little more myself about these things too.

The Hack that is out for the Canon 300D Rebel activates features that have been diabled by Canon as the guts of the Rebel's electronics is essentially very very close to that of the Canon 10D. There are many people using the Hack and using it very successfully. Not that I am recommending it, but bought up the mirror lock for discussion purposes.

is this better? Still f5.6, but ISO @200, shutter speed 1/250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This thrills me-moonie.jpg  
    Last edited by opus; 07-28-2004 at 11:20 PM.

Yes kelly,

Now take it again at f/8 f/11 and f/16, put the camera in aperture priority and let the camera pick the shutter speed and then compare the images.

Use the timer so when you press the button it will self time and dimish any camera shake from you pressing the button.

The best time to take celestrial photos, I have read, is in the last hour before sunrise. Taken photos late in the day, although not a bad thing, makes you compete with heat haze from the sun being up all day. Make sense.

Amazing what I read about don't you think.

I don't know what mirror lockup is, but I did use a tripod and a remote "shutterbutton" (forgot the technical name for it). Took IS off, on your suggestion, and bracketed for experimentation (to learn). So this one is ISO 100, f5.6, 1/60.

Is mirror lockup where you wouldn't get camera shake from the mirror? I'll bet that would have made a difference. I just thought perhaps it's impossible to get an absolutely clear shot of an object soooo far away, through atmosphere, etc.

Does this help you with a comparison? This was taken on Sunday evening, just before sunset, handheld, with IS on.
    NIce work Kelly. It's fun having new equipment, isn't it. You seem to be giving that lens a good workout with good results.

You will have to get everything ready for Saturday's Blue moon.
    http://spaceweather.com/

Why are we talking about mirror lockup with these shutter speeds? I thought that it could provide its benefits with only very short exposures.
    I'm going to leave that question in here even though I have now Googled my own answer and found out that my assumption is wrong. Here's an article with some good data from Pop Photo.
    http://medfmt.8k.com/third/mlu.html

OK, I felt like a dum-dum last night, and I don't want to admit why.

Let's just say I'll keep trying to get a moon shot at a higher aperture, although it will probably take many moons to get it right...

Hi Kelly,

Did you follow what I meant then and realised what you might have done.

You should be able to take a series of photos by just changing the aperture setting in AV mode and then review the images, watch the histogram, it shold start from the left, peak in the middle and fall off to the right side, evenly, like a hill in the middle and plains on either side.

Don't get dishartened at all, I'm still doing pretty silly things as well, didn't realise until afterwards and can't get those shots again ever.

Atleast the moon comes and goes regularly to practice with.

Talking Hello Kelly

is this better? Still f5.6, but ISO @200, shutter speed 1/250.

This one is definitely getting there!

You shutter speed looks fine, so you need to ensure that your tripod is steady, and get a smooth release. When I first started taking moon shots through my Celestron, anything below 180th of a second was blurred. By working on my release technique, I've taken shots down to 1/10th of a second and gotten sharp images. As a general rule though, keep the shutter speed up. My best images are usually around 250th to 350th of a second with 400 speed film, shooting through an f10 telescope.

Keep working at it! I am definitely seeing improvement in your moon shots!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

No Peter, it's more basic then that. I thought I was changing the aperture, but when I got inside I realized I wasn't doing what I thought I was doing, and they were all at f5.6.

I wondered why my aperture number was going sky high and I was still getting fast shutter speeds...

Alrighty, let's try this again.

Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/160
    Av(Aperture Value)
    ISO Speed
    Focal Length
    300.0mm

The first one I did nothing but crop. It's dark, but I'm wondering if it's sharper.

The second one is the same image, lightened and converted to B&W.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This thrills me-mooncolor.jpg   This thrills me-another.moon.jpg  

Hey neat - the second one looks like an EYE! Look to the right, you'll see the pupil! lol

Nice shot - It came out cool, more detail after PS - I wish it weren't so bright here, we have a full moon tomorrow night and I want to try out my new telephoto lens on my digitial!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Alrighty, let's try this again.

Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/160
    Av(Aperture Value)
    ISO Speed
    Focal Length
    300.0mm

The first one I did nothing but crop. It's dark, but I'm wondering if it's sharper.

The second one is the same image, lightened and converted to B&W.
    Kelly,

You are using a Tripod aren't you, I don't remember reading if you are ?

You are turning the IS off on the lens if on a Tripod ?

Do you have anything like a filter on the end of the lens, if so, try removing it and see if it makes any difference at all ?

Getting there, certainly much better in black and white.

Are you shooting the images in RAW mode at all ?

If you are what is your post processing procedure ?

If not, why not, you can adjust things before coverting to TIFF files that way ?

Remember only trying to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information