ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Maria -- First Shoot!

I had my first "modeling" shoot today. Maria wanted some shots for around the house and perhaps to add to a portfolio. I'm planning on a couple more sessions with her over the next month or so.

How'd I do? All advice more than welcome!

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Re: Maria -- First Shoot!

Ken, they look great. Your model sure has some beautiful eyes. The only thing I would have changed in the first pose is, maybe having her fingertips showing on her left hand, instead of buried. On the second one, I think you cropped a bit too tight on the left. A couple of her fingers are partially cut off. The last one is just too perfect. However, they all look awesome. Great job with a cute model.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Very nice job ken. I have to agree about the hand, try not to have the palm or knuckles showing. Have the edges facing camera with the fingers spread a little. Nice job on the lights. How far away from the model was your main light? The closer you get, the bigger the catch light will be. I generally add the width across the widest point of the umbrella/softbox, plus the distance from the flash to the reflector/front of the box, then divide by 2. I use that distance as a starting point for the distance away from the subject for the key light. Its not a steadfast rule, but it works for me.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks guys! I see what you mean about her hands. I can fix the crop in the one and I think I have another where she's not palm out.

We did this shoot in her apartment and she didn't mention that she just moved in and had no furniture. I had planned on doing some shots "around the house" and wasn't really mentally prepared to for what we ended up doing. I walked in and went "Uhhhhh, where's your furniture?!" It was pretty comical. I'm glad I brought the backdrops and stand. I have a couple of her sitting on her kitchen counter that I need to process.

Michael, I used one 42" umbrella with a 600w hot light to her right for this with my daughter holding a reflector on the other side, no flash. The distance was about four feet. If I have your formula right, the distance should be a little more than two feet ((42+12) / 2 = 27), correct? I was right under the light for a couple shots and was sweating my tail off.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

and that's the main reason that I use the strobes instead of the hot lights. Baked client doesn't go over too well. How old is yor daughter? Keep her involved by letting her get a few shots of you when you are practicing at home. It works out pretty well for me when I have to shoot her dance portraits every year. We've even gotten a few of her friends from the studio to sign up with us since she's been bragging about her work with me in picking, planning and posing her shots.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    and that's the main reason that I use the strobes instead of the hot lights. Baked client doesn't go over too well. How old is yor daughter? Keep her involved by letting her get a few shots of you when you are practicing at home. It works out pretty well for me when I have to shoot her dance portraits every year. We've even gotten a few of her friends from the studio to sign up with us since she's been bragging about her work with me in picking, planning and posing her shots.

The kiddo is 9. She has a pretty good eye using our old P&S. I'm hoping to pick up some prom/senior portraits this year. I'm giving away the sessions to build a portfolio.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

A couple more from the session....

The B&W shot is a little soft. Went with B&W on this one because the kitchen was ivory and I just didn't like the way it was looking.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Thread Information